Menu

Catholics who converted/reverted without your spouse--need advice

To the OP' date=' if your husband hasn't shown interest in going to a Protestant service, then he may actually be more interested in what's going on at Mass than he lets on. It sounds like he has some old hurts which he may be working through in his own way. Give him time. Give the Holy Spirit time to work in him. Praying for all of you. :grouphug:[/quote']

Thank you for the encouragement. Sometimes it's hard to see past the surface.

:grouphug:

Keep praying, and take it slow. Also, is there a local college with a more informal Catholic mass that might be less difficult for DH? :grouphug:

No, nothing around here. I'm going to look into the earlier service at the closest parish and see if that might be better. I think it will be for dd, at any rate. In fact, we have new neighbors who go to that service (8:45). They're a sweet Irish Catholic family, and ds is good buddies now with their son. :001_smile:

Early in our marriage when my husband wasn't exactly thrilled to go to church (now he's a strong believer/head of our household kind of guy -- just took a while) I would make sure that after church we would spend some adult time together :blush: He had a very positive experience with church after that :001_smile:

Just a thought.

Okay, now THAT he would get on board for! :lol:

I don't think you should tear your family up like this. YOu can read theology, go to weekday mass occasionally alone, but I really, really strongly believe that if possible, married couples belong together in church.

Well, I'm currently not attending the Catholic Church because of this, but I don't know that I'm doing the right thing. I mean, why is she the one that should attend a church she doesn't feel comfortable with? Why is that better than her husband being uncomfortable?

My husband and i have compromised on the Episcopal Church, which worked because it was the church I grew up in, before I converted to Catholicism. But I'm not satisfied, and I don't see this being a permanent thing.

I guess because I put the responsibility on the one who is changing. Also, her dd is very against it too. After now reading everyone's responses, I think I would go with the suggestion some previous poster made- go to church on Sat eve or Sun eve alone and go to a family church on Sunday morning.

The way I read things they are going together and if she didn't choose to go to church he wouldn't either. It's not like they are attending different churches. :confused:

I don't think she is tearing her family up at all.

I don't think you should tear your family up like this. YOu can read theology, go to weekday mass occasionally alone, but I really, really strongly believe that if possible, married couples belong together in church.

The way I read things they are going together and if she didn't choose to go to church he wouldn't either. It's not like they are attending different churches. :confused:

:iagree:

Furthermore, if she is being drawn back to the church, she needs to go.

Thanks again, all.

Yes, this is the case, and thank you for the support.

:iagree:

Furthermore, if she is being drawn back to the church, she needs to go.

I feel the same way. Sometimes I think, "Aarrrgh, it's not worth the aggravation," but it doesn't take long before I'm feeling the pull again.

I might have missed it (got distracted by the dueling banjos, lol), but in case no one else mentioned it When Only One Converts is a terrific book on this very topic. :grouphug:'s OP.

Thanks for this book recommendation--I added it to my Amazon cart.

:grouphug: I'm beginning RCIA, and my DH has no interest in it at all, and doesn't like the Church. He's okay with me converting, but sometimes it seems like he's downright hostile to the Church, which doesn't make me feel okay about it. No advice here, just sympathy and prayers. :grouphug:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a Catholic convert, my husband is a traditional Baptist. We are raising our kids Catholic. My advice to you is to pray, pray, pray!!! IT works and can do wonders for your family. My husband sometimes feels like the ugly duckling since my kids don't really enjoy going to his church anymore. He's agreed to go to mass with us to check it out, but he hasn't done so yet. I converted because I had a calling from God to do so. Stay firm in your faith and believe that God will bring peace to your family.;)

Have you looked at the Coming Home Network? I know there are a lot of conversion stories out there such as Scott Hahn and Steve Wood and others that I can't think of right now. I remember reading about a saint whose husband was militantly opposed to her being Catholic. She went about her faith life very quietly and offered up her suffering for her husband's conversion. Anyway, she died and her husband converted later in life. Maybe someone else can remember her name. I'm having a major senile moment right now.

If the church is calling you, there is no ignoring it nor do I think you should. (I know) Trying to do so can cause a terrible internal battle. Maybe attending Mass during the week and forgoing Sunday Mass for right now might help. Just go about it quietly and pray. Maybe finding someone who has been in your shoes could be incredibly supporting, too.