Menu

What's the best mouse trap that won't kill/maim the mouse?

I just discovered some mice poop. DH thinks they're coffee flakes but I can tell the difference. He's all for killing the mice, but I can't do that especially since DD is a mouse-lover.

Rather buying willy-nilly, what mouse trap will work? Some time ago, I tried a device that produces a sonic sound to drive away mice, but it didn't work.

"Pass" them to another neighbor :D? I think that's what happened to me. I heard my neighbor (attached homes here) saying he discovered mice and patched up the holes, so they probably dug their way to our place.

We had pet mice and I'm not good with rodents, so keeping them is not an option. If we had to have pet mice again, then I'm not sure if capturing these wild mice would be safe.

I think with glue traps the mouse will try running and then end up leaving part of their feet behind.

We've had success with the humane traps that I'm linking. Interestingly, the reviews on this Amazon page are pretty negative, but there are other humane traps at Amazon you can look at too. We would bait these traps with peanut butter and place them on either side of the refrigerator where we had seen a mouse. We eventually caught 11 mice--probably about 1 per night. They go into the trap to get the peanut butter and their weight tips the trap which shuts the door. I could hear it happen most of the time. Then dh would take the mouse on a walk in the morning and release it in some woods on the edge of our neighborhood.

http://www.amazon.com/Victor-M007-Live-Catch-Mouse/dp/B00004RAN3/ref=pd_sim_hg_11

Editing to add that dh has a far better record of catching mice than our cat ever had. The cat was mildly curious but apparently too well-fed to try to catch a mouse. Dh got to watch him in action late one night when a mouse wandered into his study and the cat basically just watched him.

Edited by Ali in OR

We've had success with the humane traps that I'm linking. Interestingly, the reviews on this Amazon page are pretty negative, but there are other humane traps at Amazon you can look at too. We would bait these traps with peanut butter and place them on either side of the refrigerator where we had seen a mouse. We eventually caught 11 mice--probably about 1 per night. They go into the trap to get the peanut butter and their weight tips the trap which shuts the door. I could hear it happen most of the time. Then dh would take the mouse on a walk in the morning and release it in some woods on the edge of our neighborhood.

http://www.amazon.com/Victor-M007-Live-Catch-Mouse/dp/B00004RAN3/ref=pd_sim_hg_11

Thank you for the link. It's cheap enough to try. I don't think I'm willing to spend too much since from experience even the expensive ones may not work.

We use a live trap because my sweet 11 year old can't bear to think of killing the mice we have gotten in our basement.

However, I am not so sure those same mice we caught and released into the woods didn't make it back into the basement again! :tongue_smilie:

Dawn

I can tell you from personal experience that the Havahart trap that I linked works great. It's easy to set up. The peanut butter, or whatever you put on the tray in the center, is what gets the mouse inside. When the tray moves, the doors at both ends close and can't be opened by the mouse. They're safely trapped until you bring them wherever you want to release them. Just open the doors and they happily run out.

We always set ours up on a paper plate as they do poop after eating their treat, and this makes for easier cleanup.

ETA: I just read a few of the Amazon one star reviews to understand why anyone would give it a low rating, and it seems that it's now made overseas and not as well as it was years ago. Ours is a much older one and works beautifully. One person rated it one star because they advertise it's for rats too. It's definitely too small for the average rat. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by Teachin'Mine

Mice make great pets. :) Think of them as free gerbils. :D They really are cute.

ETA: Thinking of lymes, I'd check if there's something to make sure they're tick free or to kill any possible ticks.

BTW, this price for the trap is super cheap compared to the almost $30 we paid 20 years ago.

Edited by Teachin'Mine

You do know that if you do not kill the mouse it WILL come back right? You also are aware that other mice will come too? You're also aware that if you get ONE pregnant mouse in your house you'll be chasing them down ALL the time?? They follow the same route through many generations of mice and the only way we can find to stay on top of is to go with utter removal.

All that said.. you could contact your local RSPCA, Humane Society, etc and ask if they have a humane trap you can use. You could also check your local hardware shop and see if they sell one. There are many.

ETA: I just read a few of the Amazon one star reviews to understand why anyone would give it a low rating' date=' and it seems that it's now made overseas and not as well as it was years ago. Ours is a much older one and works beautifully. One person rated it one star because they advertise it's for rats too. It's definitely too small for the average rat. :tongue_smilie:[/quote']

Please don't let there be rats in my home.

It says on the last sentence that it's made in the U.S.A. which is one of the reasons why I like this product. Sometimes amazon.com does this so now I'm wondering who is correct.

You do know that if you do not kill the mouse it WILL come back right? You also are aware that other mice will come too? You're also aware that if you get ONE pregnant mouse in your house you'll be chasing them down ALL the time?? They follow the same route through many generations of mice and the only way we can find to stay on top of is to go with utter removal.

All that said.. you could contact your local RSPCA, Humane Society, etc and ask if they have a humane trap you can use. You could also check your local hardware shop and see if they sell one. There are many.

Thanks, I'm aware now:tongue_smilie:.

Please don't let there be rats in my home.

It says on the last sentence that it's made in the U.S.A. which is one of the reasons why I like this product. Sometimes amazon.com does this so now I'm wondering who is correct.

:lol: I would doubt you have them. I was just explaining that some of the one star reviews are a bit ridiculous when it comes to reasoning. ;)

Ours was made in the USA. The one pictured looks the same, but I haven't looked at ours in years. Also don't forget that reviews are sometimes posted by competitors. I know - shocking. lol

Regarding the mice coming back, you need to relocate them more than a mile away from your home. Just pick a nice park a good distance from home, and release them all in the same spot. We liked to think that they all got back together again in their new home.

Edited by Teachin'Mine

We use a live trap because my sweet 11 year old can't bear to think of killing the mice we have gotten in our basement.

However, I am not so sure those same mice we caught and released into the woods didn't make it back into the basement again! :tongue_smilie:

Dawn

Well, apparently mice are smarter than we think.

The mice here seem smarter than DH, and I've told him this. There is definitely a hole somewhere in the kitchen or adjacent rooms and he can't find it. In fact, an odd thing is that the mice can climb up to the top of the stove. How can they do this when it's NOT attached to a countertop. We only have freestanding Ikea carts beside it and I don't think mice can climb smooth cart legs, right?

Regarding the mice coming back' date=' you need to relocate them more than a mile away from your home. Just pick a nice park a good distance from home, and release them all in the same spot. We liked to think that they all got back together again in their new home.[/quote']

If we're lucky enough to catch them, it won't just be a mile. I'll request DH to take it to the next city.

Mice make great pets. :) Think of them as free gerbils. :D They really are cute.

DD is in the camp of thinking the same thing. I'm the opposite. One time our pet mouse squeezed out from the cage where the bars are about 1" (or slightly less) apart. I screamed when I saw it and DD ran after it, giggling and trying to catch it for me. Yes, I, the adult mother, actually told my 5 year old to please catch it and put it back. If DD hadn't been there, I would have put a box over it and left it there until someone else could finish up the job. I'm the type that I cannot even hold a mouse while DD can hold it and pet it lovingly.