Menu

How To Knit

OK Ladies, you've come through in the past - help me now. I want to learn to knit. I have knitting needles (size 6), some ugly green yarn that is kinda chunky (good for practice, I'm told), one magazine with instructions in English from 2007, and the internet.

I'm in Turkey, so don't even tell me to go to the yarn store. There is one, it's wonderful, but all the terminology is different and I've tried that route. I can't learn to knit in Turkish. I need English. And they hold the needles completely differently here than anywhere else - they tuck one needle up under their arm and knit with that one held in place, freeing up one hand. Don't ask - I don't get it either (yet).

So what website is the BEST place to learn knitting on your own? How would you teach yourself if you were in my shoes? What other tools do I need? A crochet hook? Stitch counters? Other needles? What?

I currently have instructables.com open, as well as knittingnaturally.com and the Knit Picks website. The magazine is "Knit It" from BH&G.

HELP! I'm desperate to learn, can't wait until fall when I'm back in the US. I want to know NOW!

(No - I am not a patient person. Why do you ask? :tongue_smilie:)

Edited by Hopscotch67

http://www.knittinghelp.com for the basics, and then http://www.youtube.com for multiple views of every single individual technique you will come across in any pattern. Also, join http://www.ravelry.com. They have thousands of knitting patterns (many free), forums, etc, and it's very international. You will probably want circular needles in 24" length in a size 5 or 7, especially if you want to knit for adults (sweaters & the like), but what you have is fine to start with. Just start with something like a dishcloth. Don't try a scarf first. They take FOOOOOREEEEEVER, lol. You can use anything for stitch markers. I use little rubber hairbands or paper clips.

Thank you! I'm bookmarking those sites now, will look more in the am (it's 11:30pm here!).

Anyone else? Any other advice?

If you're wondering, knitting is the national pastime for Turkish women and I'm feeling very out of place not knowing how to do it. I've wanted to learn for years, now I have incentive. But no "live" help. Very frustrating.

www.knittinghelp.com for the basics, and then www.youtube.com for multiple views of every single individual technique you will come across in any pattern. Also, join www.ravelry.com. They have thousands of knitting patterns (many free), forums, etc, and it's very international. You will probably want circular needles in 24" length in a size 5 or 7, especially if you want to knit for adults (sweaters & the like), but what you have is fine to start with. Just start with something like a dishcloth. Don't try a scarf first. They take FOOOOOREEEEEVER, lol. You can use anything for stitch markers. I use little rubber hairbands or paper clips.

:iagree: Everything LittleIzumi said! and I strongly second the joining Ravelry part!

I think it really helps if you have an item in mind that you are really wanting to knit. When I first learned to knit, it was because I wanted to have the knit pants for my cloth diapered baby. I think I knit one washcloth and then went right to the pants! It really gave me something to work toward, kwim?

And use the nicest yarn you can afford. For me, it makes the difference between an ok project and a wow! project. What are the yarn stores there like? Do you have a wide selection of yarns?

Have fun!!

I started with a dishcloth and then moved on to scarves. I agree with knittinghelp.com. That's where I go to learn any new technique. It has videos and she talks you through as she is showing you the technique. Good luck! Knitting is so fun!

Thank you! I'm bookmarking those sites now, will look more in the am (it's 11:30pm here!).

Anyone else? Any other advice?

If you're wondering, knitting is the national pastime for Turkish women and I'm feeling very out of place not knowing how to do it. I've wanted to learn for years, now I have incentive. But no "live" help. Very frustrating.

If knitting is so common there, why can't you ask someone local to teach you? Language barrier? And where do the ladies there get yarn (re: having a yarn store)?

www.knittinghelp.com for the basics, and then www.youtube.com for multiple views of every single individual technique you will come across in any pattern. Also, join www.ravelry.com. They have thousands of knitting patterns (many free), forums, etc, and it's very international. You will probably want circular needles in 24" length in a size 5 or 7, especially if you want to knit for adults (sweaters & the like), but what you have is fine to start with. Just start with something like a dishcloth. Don't try a scarf first. They take FOOOOOREEEEEVER, lol. You can use anything for stitch markers. I use little rubber hairbands or paper clips.

:iagree: also. Size 6 needles will be good for worsted or dk weight yarn. If you have what they call chunky yarn, you might need larger needles (size 9 or 10). I prefer circular needles as you can knit stuff circular items or flat items. A crochet hook is very useful. If you want to knit a dishcloth that you can use, make sure your yarn is cotton yarn. It isn't as fun to knit with IMHO (it doesn't stretch) but it is a good place to start and you have something functional at the end of the short project.

And as mentioned, join Ravelry! Knitters LOVE to help others and this is the place to be if you are knitting.

I would start on youtube and just practice practice practice. Forget about making anything yet.

I would just practice getting the stitches down pat. I like to teach knit first and when that is mastered move on to purl.

If you could get a 9-10 size needle it might be a little easier.

I purchased yarn at a yarn store/barbershop in Uruguay where my highschool/college spanish was not understood and I had no clue what they were saying. I got some beautiful yarn but to this day I have no clue how much I paid. :001_smile:

Have fun!

Agree with all the advice above on websites. I'm wondering about the needles as well. Are they US 6 or 6mm? If US6 they'll be too small for the chunky yarn you have and it will be difficult to knit. Not impossible, but difficult and it may cause you to hate knitting. If they're 6mm then that would be about right for a chunky yarn.

I'd heard of armpit knitting before. Haven't tried it or seen it done, though. I learned English/throwing and eventually switched to continental/picking, which I learned via youtube. Just remember to be patient with yourself as you learn. :D

I'll second knittinghelp.com

To be honest, when I teach people to knit I have them get worsted weight yarn and circular needles (US 8s with a 12" or 16" diameter). Then I teach how to knit a hat. It's all knitting and you get something functional. It's also a quick knit. The first thing I ever knitted were just squares of different stitches that I whipstitched together to make a hacky sack.

I learned from you tube, but when I met real life knitters I found that I was knitting sort of inside out (hard to describe)......now I can't change to save my life but it works for me. Hey, whatever is comfortable for you and gets the string on the sticks, right?

If knitting is so common there, why can't you ask someone local to teach you? Language barrier? And where do the ladies there get yarn (re: having a yarn store)?

It's a language thing. I speak enough Turkish to survive, not to learn to knit, get into a discussion on education, or discuss politics. And the armpit knitting method is truly throwing me. And they're assuming I know how to knit already and are skipping truly important things, like how to cast on!!

I would start on youtube and just practice practice practice. Forget about making anything yet.

I would just practice getting the stitches down pat. I like to teach knit first and when that is mastered move on to purl.

If you could get a 9-10 size needle it might be a little easier.

I purchased yarn at a yarn store/barbershop in Uruguay where my highschool/college spanish was not understood and I had no clue what they were saying. I got some beautiful yarn but to this day I have no clue how much I paid. :001_smile:

Have fun!

DH said the same thing - just practice with this ugly yarn (given to me specifically because it's ugly and good for practice and not much else).

And I love your yarn store story. I'll have a similar experience - I'll know what I paid in total, but never what each thing cost!

:iagree: also. Size 6 needles will be good for worsted or dk weight yarn. If you have what they call chunky yarn, you might need larger needles (size 9 or 10). I prefer circular needles as you can knit stuff circular items or flat items. A crochet hook is very useful. If you want to knit a dishcloth that you can use, make sure your yarn is cotton yarn. It isn't as fun to knit with IMHO (it doesn't stretch) but it is a good place to start and you have something functional at the end of the short project.

And as mentioned, join Ravelry! Knitters LOVE to help others and this is the place to be if you are knitting.

A dishcloth sounds great. I was going to try a scarf but as someone stated - it will take forever and will drive me nuts. I'm also thinking of knitting little dolly blankets and pillowcases for DD's dolly - that way I can practice techniques on a small scale.

I've joined Ravelry - I'm still Hopscotch67 over there if you see me floundering!

Agree with all the advice above on websites. I'm wondering about the needles as well. Are they US 6 or 6mm? If US6 they'll be too small for the chunky yarn you have and it will be difficult to knit. Not impossible, but difficult and it may cause you to hate knitting. If they're 6mm then that would be about right for a chunky yarn.

I'd heard of armpit knitting before. Haven't tried it or seen it done, though. I learned English/throwing and eventually switched to continental/picking, which I learned via youtube. Just remember to be patient with yourself as you learn. :D

I think they are 6mm. The needles are as chunky as the yarn.

Armpit knitting looks incredibly efficient, but I don't get all the moves. And it's hard to learn with the language barrier. I want to learn "regular" knitting, THEN try armpit. I think I'll be less confused that way.

Patient?! Patient?! Arrrrrgh!!!!! :lol:

:iagree: Everything LittleIzumi said! and I strongly second the joining Ravelry part!

I think it really helps if you have an item in mind that you are really wanting to knit. When I first learned to knit, it was because I wanted to have the knit pants for my cloth diapered baby. I think I knit one washcloth and then went right to the pants! It really gave me something to work toward, kwim?

And use the nicest yarn you can afford. For me, it makes the difference between an ok project and a wow! project. What are the yarn stores there like? Do you have a wide selection of yarns?

Have fun!!

I want to knit scarves, wraps, bags, sweaters (eventually), hats.

I've found two yarn stores. One is close by, but hoity-toity and so expensive I won't walk in. Exotic yarns displayed as art, not craft. The other store I've found is a long haul with a shared taxi, ferry, and then private taxi required just to get there - but it's amazing. Tons of yarn, lots of supplies, and friendly people - and I have almost no clue what they are saying. I want to have the basics down with this ugly yarn and then go there to get good yarn, appropriate needles, and whatever else I need to do a project. I'll feel more comfortable then - and might actually understand the hand gestures combined with Turkish.

Now if I could only get Knit Picks to deliver overnight to Turkey.... :tongue_smilie:

OK - I've been checking out knittinghelp.com and I understand why I don't understand. Turks don't knit English or Continental. No wonder I've been so confused. I always thought they did a modified Continental with the armpit holding thingy, but NOOOOOO... it's something else entirely!

OK - back to the videos and trying a cast on. Cross your fingers!

(And yes, I know, it's the dead of night in the US. It's morning here and by the time y'all are awake I will have moved on to other things.)

I would use You Tube to learn.

Then I would pick a small pattern such as a dishcloth. You can do knit and purl and you can get familiar with reading a pattern.

Not a scarf- they are easy, but take too long to get satisfaction when you are still at the very slow stage.

Don't be afraid of purl. I was taught to knit by a lady in her 80s. She insisted that I learn purl right away so I would knit a row then purl a row. It was kind of confusing at first but I was able to make so many more patterns in the beginning.

I learned from you tube, but when I met real life knitters I found that I was knitting sort of inside out (hard to describe)......now I can't change to save my life but it works for me. Hey, whatever is comfortable for you and gets the string on the sticks, right?

I have a friend that is dyslexic who taught herself to knit by watching videos online as well. It looks like she is knitting backwards and inside out - or something like that. How she can do it and follow patterns is just beyond me but it always turns out lovely.

Now if I could only get Knit Picks to deliver overnight to Turkey.... :tongue_smilie:

Alas! Sadly, KnitPicks will not ship out of the US. Oh wait, I think you're ok if you have an APO address. Ok, just checked their website--APO is ok. You even get a better rate than if you live in AK or HI.

Alas! Sadly, KnitPicks will not ship out of the US. Oh wait, I think you're ok if you have an APO address. Ok, just checked their website--APO is ok. You even get a better rate than if you live in AK or HI.

Nope, no APO. Just spending the summer here visiting family. I'll have to wait until I'm back home in Texas. :glare:

But thanks for looking!! I appreciate it!

http://www.knittinghelp.com for the basics, and then http://www.youtube.com for multiple views of every single individual technique you will come across in any pattern. Also, join http://www.ravelry.com. They have thousands of knitting patterns (many free), forums, etc, and it's very international.

Both youtube and knittinghelp are excellent, but throwing this out there, too: http://www.knitpicks.com/Tutorials/Knitting_Tutorials.html Sometimes you can watch a video over and over, then see it done on a different video and everything clicks! So using multiple sources has been helpful for me.

Ravelry can be really overwhelming, but they do have a neat feature where you can plug in your yarn weight, your needle size, etc., and they will give you patterns that fit what you've got. But I kind of agree that to begin, just going back and forth is the best way to practice and learn.

You can use anything for stitch markers. I use little rubber hairbands ....
We have hundreds of those little suckers always laying around...and I thought I was the only one to use them for this purpose!