Menu

If you like the name Isabella, you might like...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I'm late to this thread and haven't read all of the responses yet but...

Our little friend Isabella prefers the nickname Isa (pronounced Eesa). That might get rid of one problem.

I really do get the issue with Isabella and Elizabeth. That would be a no-go for me, but if you can get past it...Isabella is a beautiful name.

I immediately thought of the name Gabriella. You could call her Gabi. One of the little girls in my 5yo's preschool class went by Gabi and she was precious.

I LOVE the name Isabella. And the Elizabeth thing is so far off that I wouldn't think that was a problem. But I think the Daniella/Isabella thing would be too close for me.

Alternatives:

Alaina

Alessandra

Alexa

Alicia

Alyssa

Amanda

Amelia

Anastasia

Andrea

Anika

Audra

Aurora

Bianca

Brenna

Calista

Camilla

Carissa

Cassandra

Cassia

Catalina

Cecilia

Celia

Christina

Clarissa

Claudia

Cordelia

Cynthia

Dana

Deborah

Deirdre

Dorothea

Emma

Erica

Eva

Felicia

Fiona

Francesca

Geneva

Georgiana (pronounced Jor JAY nah)

Gloria

Greta

Hadassah

Helena

Isadora

Jada

Jessica

Josefa

Josephina

Julia

Karina

Katarina

Kira

Krista

Lana

Latasha

Laura

Lavinia

Leah

Lena

Linnea

Louisa

Lucinda

Lydia

Margaretta

Mariah

Maria

Marina

Marissa

Melissa

Mia

Miranda

Nadia

Natalia

Natasha

Philippa

Pippa

Priscilla

Rhonda

Rosa

Sabrina

Samantha

Savannah

Serena

Sylvia

Tabitha

Talia

Tamara

Tessa

Theodora

Thomasina

Teresa

Valencia

Vanessa

Veronica

Victoria

Whoa! I post, I come back and FIVE pages??? You all are wonderfully helpful!

Yes the Twilight thing is off-putting for me.

The reason it is SUCH a big deal about the name (Elizabeth/Isabella) being the same isn't that they SOUND the same. It's that they MEAN the same.

All of our children have deeply meaninful names. In the past we've picked names we've truly loved, but tossed out names we've LOVED that had less than great meanings. Leah, for instance. We both really like Leah. It means weary. We both REALLY like Rachel. It means ewe.

I'm Rebecca and my sister is Sarah. We looked up our names' meanings in the bible dictionary when we were little. She got "princess" and I got "woman whose beauty ensnares men". That really stuck in my craw since I was the homely one. I cried and cried and cried over that. I've since looked Rebecca up other places and gotten a more palatable meaning none of which I can remember. That first meaning just sticks in my head. I think it's why I never looked at meanings when I named my children. I have absolutely no earthly idea what any of their names mean. But I think it's awesome how you are looking for really meaningful names. Congrats on #10, btw. You are amazing!!

I hope you find a name you BOTH fall in love with. :D

A few "-a" options...

Adalia

Anastasia - Anya

Angelica

Ariella

Aziza (i heart palindromes)

Evangelista

Gisella (Jisella)

Louisa

Natalia

Theophila ;) it's gotta have a good meaning, right?!

I much prefer names that have good meanings, therefore Esau and Cameron were instant outs :tongue_smilie:

~honeybee :001_huh: (Melissa)

I'm Rebecca and my sister is Sarah. We looked up our names' meanings in the bible dictionary when we were little. She got "princess" and I got "woman whose beauty ensnares men".

Bwa Ha Ha... Um, no. The meaning *I* have found for Rebecca is captivating. Perhaps that's the same, but the sound of "captivating" is so lovely! :D

I LOVE the name Isabella. And the Elizabeth thing is so far off that I wouldn't think that was a problem. But I think the Daniella/Isabella thing would be too close for me.

Alternatives:

Eva

Hadassah

Julia

Lydia

Serena

That was an awesome list... So many of the names we've considered.

Hadassah is my first choice pick. We even watched One Night with the King in hopes of inspiring love for that name. It was a no-go. It was SO vetoed, lol. Eva is a name I like - too short for DH. Offered Evalyn, but nope. Lydia WAS in my top three. No go. Serena was suggested (as he would like the middle name Serena or Serenity) and Serena Isabelle would be survivable for me.

We really are at a hurdle. My list of names are about five long right now... His list? One. We HAD lists - five names each but he has slowly grown to not like those names so much and fell in love. Sigh.

Emelia :) Amelia ;) I am so confused! Which one do you call "Ella"? My daughter,if I had it to do again, would be Michaela, nicknamed... Caley... or Kaylee or Kaylie... or whatever... I don't really care for "Izzie"... but I love Isabelle ;) Michaella? or Michaelle? Michayla? ;) That's tough!! ;)

I love Michaela. And one of my top picks is Mikaiah. DH has mentioned Michaela before...

So far we are at an impasse.

I have said, out loud, and maybe with a little regret, that if he absolutely HAS to have that name, he can have it. Part of me truly, truly means it. The other part of me hopes in a horrible, manipulative, and very WRONG sort of way, that my willingness to give will equate to him NOT using that name. So, so, so, very wrong.

First choice of the day? Juliana I think.

Edited by BlsdMama

I love Michaela. And one of my top picks is Mikaiah. DH has mentioned Michaela before...

A similar name is Mahala. It was dh's g-g-grandmother's name and was on our list but we never got a chance to use it. I think it's beautiful.

My dd's middle name is Cecelia. I wish we would have gone with it as a first name. Love it. I think it sounds similar to Isabella.