Menu

If you school year 'round...

Can you tell me what your schedule is like? We are entering our 4th year of homeschooling, and I have always liked the idea of year round schooling but haven't tried it.

My idea is Math all summer just 3 days a week, all 3 kids need this!

Lapbooks for the younger 2 or olders if they want, geography- start on it, I have 2 that need it for high school credit, and the Dave Ramsey financial peace for teens and kids curriculum. Then "officially starting" the 1st week of August because I have a baby new in Novemeber and know I need at least 3 weeks off.

I thought this would be a good way to get our feet wet with year round school, but would love to hear what others do!

We do a full schedule during the school year (M-F) and for the summer still do math 3 to 5 days a week, reading everyday. (ds reads 30-60 each afternoon and 45-60 mintues on evenings that we go to bed on time, which isn't very often during he summer ;) - dd will read to me from OPG 2 times a week and read to me from easy readers the other days)

Your ideas sound good to me - I think math is important to keep up with over the summer, or it is easily lost! (This year we finished our primary math program in early April and started a second program that we'll do through the summer.)

We do regular school in the summer, but ds1 goes to school all summer so we don't really have a break in our routine. When ds1 is off of school for 2 weeks in August, we do take a break and go on vacation. We're pretty relaxed hsers and we tend to work on curricula in blocks instead of doing 2 days of science and 2 days of history a week. We either do all history or all science for a while and then pick up something else. We do math, LA and an audiobook daily unless we need to be somewhere for a field trip. I'd feel guilty if we didn't go year round.

Over the summer, we're doing Supercharged Science. We're all really impressed! This is the best science we've done bar none (not even the museum science classes top this, which is saying a lot).

We do regular school in the summer, but ds1 goes to school all summer so we don't really have a break in our routine. When ds1 is off of school for 2 weeks in August, we do take a break and go on vacation. We're pretty relaxed hsers and we tend to work on curricula in blocks instead of doing 2 days of science and 2 days of history a week. We either do all history or all science for a while and then pick up something else. We do math, LA and an audiobook daily unless we need to be somewhere for a field trip. I'd feel guilty if we didn't go year round.

Over the summer, we're doing Supercharged Science. We're all really impressed! This is the best science we've done bar none (not even the museum science classes top this, which is saying a lot).

I looked up Supercharged Science, and it seems intriguing. Are you doing the paid service or using only the free materials?

Oh, and I'm not totally hijacking this thread; here's a bump because I'd love to read some other schedules!

We did school Monday through Thursday year-round, with a week off at Thanksgiving, a week off at Christmas, and 4 weeks off during the summer. And a few other vacation days sprinkled around Easter time, or other holidays.

If we had stopped school for 3 months during the summer, my daughter would have forgotten how to do math! And most of what she learned the previous school year :D

I do medical transcription at home from about 12 PM til 7 PM 4 days a week, plus about 3 hours on Friday, so it was a nice mental break for me to not have school on Fridays. The kids used their "day off" for getting weekly chores done, having play dates with other homeschooling families, etc.

We're currently finishing up our 3-week break...mainly to give me time to collect new curricula and get things scheduled. We start back on June 6th. We have summer swimming, so we are gone until about lunch time M-F. While my olders are exercising in the pool, my youngers will do school, and vice-versa. This summer will be a bit different, since we're building our house. Otherwiseb our summer schedule includes math, health and reading as a base. My older kids work on badge requirements for scouts. My oldest will be working on Latin to prepare for an online Wheelock's class next fall. It's also a time we take for "other" subjects that are difficult to work in during the school year.

Here are some various things that could be included (we wouldn't do more than one of these during the summer... other than educational games :D)

Speech

NaNoWriMo Workbooks

Typing

Educational Games

Home Ec

Personal Management

Consumer Math/Financial Planning

Mine is only 6(turning 7 this summer) going into 1st officially. I plan to keep our schedule pretty much the same. The kids are better w/ some things organized during the day. We will be likely spending the same amount of time but really focusing on reading and math especially. I would like/hope to makes some great strides in these areas and really hate the thought of taking off the whole time and having to go back and start over in some things.

WE school year round. We got four weeks on, one week off, all year, with two weeks off at Christmas and the end of June. We have 42 weeks of school. I schedule 30 weeks of history and science and we use the other 12 weeks for supplemental topics, such as map skills. In the summer we stick just to math and language arts mostly.

Tara

We school year round.

Our new curriculum begins in May and we do school all summer.

We usually take a week off sometime in the fall for vacation (this year, we're going the last week of September).

We take a week off at Thanksgiving and 2 weeks off at Christmas.

I try to finish up my school year ... (36 weeks is a school year for us) ... by the end of February. I work for a tax accountant and need to have lots of time off during tax season -- my busiest months are March and April and I can put in 10-12 hour days, six days a week, during that time.

I figured out pretty quickly with my son that we were going to have to school year round. We would break for the weekend, and he would have forgotten everything he learned the previous week. After a few weeks of being frustrated (both him and me), we decided to school 7 days a week and all year round.

We don't school for several hours a day, mind you. 5 days a week we do a normal routine of 90 minutes or so. But each and every day, at the very least, we review the major key points in the lessons. It really does help my son who thrives on structure.

Math, Reading, Writing, and Arts/Crafts/Appreciation are every single day. On a review day, though, I reinforce Math and Reading.

Twice a week, because he isn't even 5 yet, I do some Geography and History. I don't usually include these in review days, unless he is super interested in something we're doing.

For science, right now, we're just doing experiments and learning facts/trivia. More formal stuff will be implemented this Fall.

Hope this helps a little. :001_smile:

Edited by july19
Grammatical errors...shocking!

Our state requires 180 days. I track those.

We start June 1 (I'm not ready!!!) and work 5 days a week, taking time off as needed. This year we're going to try 4 weeks on, 1 off, then 5 on, 1 off. I'm also breaking our year up into quarters to help with pacing.

We do take days as needed (or a week if things are really rough) and aim to end in April and take all of May off.

When I started working, it was a bit of a transition from having the summers off to not having a break. We don't follow an agrarian calendar at home, so I don't see the point in starting it with our son with school.

We don't really have a schedule. We school year round, taking off whenever we need/want to. My end goal is to prepare them for college by the time they are 17. I don't have the goal of getting this curriculum or that finished by a certain time. But we do have the advantage of not having to report anything to anyone.