Menu

Lifepac....what can you tell me about them? Pros? Cons?

sheryl

What are the pros and cons to Lifepac? Tell me any/everything you can think of PLEASE!

Thanks.

We just started using these after years of unit studies, living books, etc. and I LOVE them!

You can just use the student books, they read it answer the questions. Some of the questions are easy, some are harder. The students do have to think. I really like how geography is mixed in with the history. There is a lot of repetition in the self-tests. My kids need that.

AO should really promote their TM's more.

Here is a sample of the activities they have. This is for gr. 4, history and geography.

Introduce the Geographical Fish Pond. Get a plastic dishpan for the pond. Cut strips of tag board and write names of important places in the world on them.Put a paper clip on each paper for the "mouth" of the fish. Get tree branches or sticks about a yard long and tie a string to each. Fasten a magnet to each fish line. Have the children fish for the places and locate them on a map within a minute or less.

Make a paper mache globe.

Show the child a peppercorn and peel off some of the black skin. Let them try to make pepper by grinding it in a pepper mill.

Make a report on spices and put samples on a chart.

Make a model of the Santa Maria or another explorer's ship.

There are about 15 ideas for the first Lifepac.

We use Lifepacs for history/geography for grades 2,4, 6, and 9. Science for grades 2,6,and 11. Language Arts for grade 3. And Family ans Consumer science. LOVE that!!

I really LOVE them for science and hist/geo!!

The science has LOTS of experiments but the books do not depend on them. They can be skipped.

The ideas in the TM are VERY similar to the ideas that I have done with unit studies for years. We have used SL, TOG, WEAVER, lapbooks, MFW, our own. I ALWAYS had to do research, add things, find books, etc. This way they are getting all the info they need and have activities to do.

I'm not crazy about the language arts. I haven't tried the math.

Guest momk2000

We tried them for a couple of subjects in 3rd, found them painfully boring, and quckly ditched them for something else. :tongue_smilie: