Menu

WWYD? Testing results reveal a learning disability?

Let's say your ds just underwent some pretty comprehensive testing and the results showed that his actual performance was much lower than his potential. Let's say this discrepency is big enough that it's called a learning disability.

Let's also say that this disability shows up in relation to reading, writing, spelling and grammar.

The nice psychologist tells you it's not the teacher's fault, which is nice to hear (since you are the teacher) but you're not sure you totally believe her. You're sure it's probably something you did (or more likely something you didn't do).

What would you do?

To further complicate matters...

Let's say the child's academic performance is right at grade level. That's right - he's doing well at his current grade level. It's just that with the way his tests went they would have expected that he would be working higher than grade level. Does that change what you would do?

I suppose it would depend on what the nature of the disability was. Or do you not have that information yet?

Are you asking if someone would pursue more testing, therapy, extra accommodations, or something else? I would, if I was given the knowledge that something didn't fit.

First, did you have these tests administered for a specific reason?

Let's say your ds just underwent some pretty comprehensive testing and the results showed that his actual performance was much lower than his potential. Let's say this discrepency is big enough that it's called a learning disability.

I am not sure I understand. He is testing at grade level which is a good thing. But the tests somehow show he can be doing much more than his grade level, so therefore his actual performace is considered less than satisfactory

Is there a reason you want him working above grade level?

Honestly, I would be concerned if my child tested below grade level. That would indicate something needs to be improved.

I suppose it would depend on what the nature of the disability was. Or do you not have that information yet?

Are you asking if someone would pursue more testing, therapy, extra accommodations, or something else? I would, if I was given the knowledge that something didn't fit.

My first thought, when she said that he performed far below what she would have expected, was that I should ramp up the language arts. I know spelling is an issue (although he spells *way* better than he did last year!), I know we could be doing more writing... My initial reaction was that I should buckle down and really work on the basics, but I don't know how hard I want to push (or why???).

The way it was explained is that he has to work really hard just to get to where he's at with his language arts - and that's been my experience as well. What I didn't expect was to be told that he's far behind what he "should" be able to achieve. I'm told he's not a visual learner - if he hears something out he remembers it and uses it, but if he reads a passage it's much harder for him to get the information out of it. I didn't know that before the testing so I guess that could change how we go about certain things.

How old is your ds? And what prompted the testing?

If his testing results were lower than expected, and you know that it was a subject that you didn't cover as thoroughly as you could have - I'd take it with a grain of salt. Not being taught something is not the same as not having the ability to learn it.

First, did you have these tests administered for a specific reason?

I am not sure I understand. He is testing at grade level which is a good thing. But the tests somehow show he can be doing much more than his grade level, so therefore his actual performace is considered less than satisfactory

Is there a reason you want him working above grade level?

Honestly, I would be concerned if my child tested below grade level. That would indicate something needs to be improved.

We did have them administered for a reason, but we weren't expecting anything but normal results. The psychologist said the results were very surprising. What I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around is the fact that there's such a big gap between his actual achievement and where they would expect him to be achieving. Usually, when there isn't a learning disability, kids perform in the range of where they were expected to perform.

The psychologist has said that we're dealing with a learning disability - that it takes ds a lot of energy and hard work just to do what he's doing. She said that can cause a lot of frustration because he's not able to match his output to what's going on in his head and because things that he reads don't stick. When I hear stuff like that it makes me think we should be doing things to make it easier for ds to learn. I *know* he gets frustrated with written work and especially with reading something (rather than having it read out loud) and then having to recall information from it. I know that spelling is a huge issue for him. So when I think about all of that, my first inclination is to buckle down and really drill the basics with him. I should be doing spelling differently, I should be getting him to write (copywork, narration, dictation, etc.) every single day. I should pick up FLL again (we took a break from it this year to work on Writing Tales and just to ease up generally). I should do something to help his reading comprehension.

Then the other part of me wants to know what the problem is. If the kid is performing at grade level then what's the big deal? Then I go back to the start of the circle and get on again...

I always thought having a "learning disability" meant that you were performing below grade level and never really thought that a child who did well at grade level could also be struggling with a learning disability that was keeping him from where he could be.

He could be gifted and still have a learning disability. His giftedness allows him to hide it to an extent and still be at grade level. The LD causes him to have to work awfully hard to hide it. I would want a test like that to give me more information for how to work with him to capitalize on his strengths and to make it easier for him and less frustrating. So - if he's an auditory learner, I would capitalize on that when working on his spelling etc.

The way it was explained is that he has to work really hard just to get to where he's at with his language arts - and that's been my experience as well. What I didn't expect was to be told that he's far behind what he "should" be able to achieve. I'm told he's not a visual learner - if he hears something out he remembers it and uses it, but if he reads a passage it's much harder for him to get the information out of it. I didn't know that before the testing so I guess that could change how we go about certain things.

I thought that what I bolded here was usually referred to as a learning style -- visual, auditory, kinesthetic...aren't there five altogether?

I always associated LDs with students performing below grade level. Why does the psychologist feel that he should be performing above grade level?

I'm not discounting her insight necessarily, but it seems that you need more information before you can really begin to make any plans. You need to know what LD you are working with before you can address any problems.

Sounds like gifted LD, not too common but it happens. I would use the information you get to help your child learn to work around and with the issuses. I would not be too concerned with grade level and more concerned with fustration level. How hard is this for your child and is it getting better or worst over time?

Good luck and no it is not your fault. :001_smile:

My advice is to teach to his strengths and shore up his weaknesses just enough that they won't hold him back from achieving his goals, whatever they may be. If you add in extra practice in those areas he's weak, keep an eye on his frustration level. Regardless, please be sure you also increase time on things he excels in, giving him opportunities to really shine, so his satisfaction there will help maintain his sense of self-worth, despite the difficulties he has with some areas.

Google twice exceptional, or 2E, and visit the Special Needs board.

Yes, I would do something with the information. As the child gets older, it can become more difficult for the child to compensate for the weakness. Like everyone else, parents of 2E kids want them to reach their potential; if a learning difference can be fixed or alleviated, why not?

http://www.gifteddevelopment.com/What_is_Gifted/2echildren.htm

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/twice_exceptional.htm

We did have them administered for a reason, but we weren't expecting anything but normal results. The psychologist said the results were very surprising. What I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around is the fact that there's such a big gap between his actual achievement and where they would expect him to be achieving. Usually, when there isn't a learning disability, kids perform in the range of where they were expected to perform.

The psychologist has said that we're dealing with a learning disability - that it takes ds a lot of energy and hard work just to do what he's doing. She said that can cause a lot of frustration because he's not able to match his output to what's going on in his head and because things that he reads don't stick.

You might see if you can get a follow-up appointment with the psychologist and come with a list of questions to ask. It seems like knowing the type of LD can help you do more research. I'd want to ask about what good coping techniques and strategies there are. Is the LD something that your son can have testing accommodations for? (Likely not an issue now, but you may want to be preparing with documentation for college testing.)

If he's having trouble with moving from the written word to memory, what tools are there that will let him use auditory learning instead? Can he use books on tape instead of or in addition to texts?

:grouphug:

Good luck!

For reading comprehension I would try Visualizing and Verbalizing (or IdeaChain)

For spelling: Apples and Pears

Continue teaching to his strengths. Use his language arts (FLL) material everyday, short but meaningful lessons

Just because a child has a learning disability does NOT mean he will be performing below grade level. It means, in the most simplistic terms, that he struggles with a typical method of learning -- reading, processing, sequencing, writing. Many kids have learning disabilities that are masked by their intelligence because they have learned how to cope and compensate. The disability suddenly shows up when those coping skills can't overcome more difficult material. A learning disability will show up in testing when there is a huge difference between different parts of the testing process -- the child scores in the 99th percentile on one section and 5th percentile on another.

I have to add that the suggestions that a learning disability means below grade level performance is kind of insulting!! I know no insult is intended, but it comes across like y'all think a learning disability means slow or stupid. Again, no one has said that, but having homeschooled a kid with lds all the way through 12th grade, well, I'm a tad sensitive!

Grade level is a meaningless measurement. These kids are struggling to do what so comes so easily to the rest of us. They are perfectly capable of understanding, thinking, and creating, but sometimes the input and the form of outputs just needs to be modified a little bit. Accommodating their needs is the compassionate thing to do -- the challenge is to find what they really need, to find what really works.

I strongly suggest you take some time and read the posts on the special needs board. Lots of great moms hang out there, moms of very smart and interesting kids who are struggling with one thing or another. You will find all kinds of excellent advice on resources.

I *know* he gets frustrated with written work and especially with reading something (rather than having it read out loud) and then having to recall information from it. I know that spelling is a huge issue for him.

What sort of testing was done, exactly? I would take the results to a psyc who specializes in twice exceptional kids. It can be very tricky to tease out what the real problems are.

Probably the first thing I would do is to rule out vision as a problem, by seeing a developmental optometrist (www.covd.org ). In particular, they'll check how the eyes work together in more detail than other eye docs. There's a lot more to vision than 20/20.

Google twice exceptional, or 2E, and visit the Special Needs board.

Yes, I would do something with the information. As the child gets older, it can become more difficult for the child to compensate for the weakness. Like everyone else, parents of 2E kids want them to reach their potential; if a learning difference can be fixed or alleviated, why not?

http://www.gifteddevelopment.com/What_is_Gifted/2echildren.htm

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/twice_exceptional.htm

Thanks - this looks very helpful.

Let's also say that this disability shows up in relation to reading, writing, spelling and grammar.

The nice psychologist tells you it's not the teacher's fault, which is nice to hear (since you are the teacher) but you're not sure you totally believe her. You're sure it's probably something you did (or more likely something you didn't do).

What would you do?

To further complicate matters...

Let's say the child's academic performance is right at grade level. That's right - he's doing well at his current grade level. It's just that with the way his tests went they would have expected that he would be working higher than grade level. Does that change what you would do?

I have a child whose testing is much as you describe. I would ask the psychochologist for a specific diagnosis and for some recommendations. It isn't your fault, as a parent or as a teacher.:grouphug:

Information truly is power in this case. If you are aware of an area in which your child struggles compared to other areas, you can adjust materials and expectations accordingly. Once you get the specific diagnosis, do some research on how to work with/teach a child with that issue. My son's diagnosis would be a non specific learning disablity, which is not very helpful in terms of resources. A psychologist should be able to give you some recommendations regarding strengthening the weakness that your child has.

I always thought having a "learning disability" meant that you were performing below grade level and never really thought that a child who did well at grade level could also be struggling with a learning disability that was keeping him from where he could be.

A learning disability is defined (loosely) as a significant difference between IQ (potential) and performance. Children with below average intelligence who are performing below grade level, for example, do not have a learning disability. They have a below average IQ, and their performance educationally is what is expected given that.

What tests did your son have? The WISC? Woodcook Johnson? Another one? Both? How old is he?

Sarah,

You will get some good advice if you post on the special needs board. Include specific areas that are weak, such as processing speed, working memory, visual-motor integration, etc.

Also, the tester should have explained the results in detail and given you specific recommendations for remediation and accomodation. If that's not the case, call or email to ask for more explanation and information.