Menu

Our first fawns of the year were born!!

Yep we raise whitetails :) The buck in that pic is the sire. He loves the fawns as much as momma and she sometimes has to kick him out lol. The whole herd actually came over to check them out. We have two more pregnant does, one usually has hers a week after this first one and the other waits until mid-June. This doe had triplets her first year which is very uncommon and twins last year.

Twins are more common than singles in whitetails and triplets are pretty uncommon. This doe is worth a lot with the fact that she has triplets and they are all 3 big and healthy. She has huge, healthy fawns and everyone who has bought one tells us they are the healthiest deer they have. :) It helps that she is humoungous herself, she is a super hardy big, healthy doe who has a massive personality and she thinks my husband is her momma. She once actually climbed a ladder while DH was working on the fence. All 4 hooves off the ground. She is a character!!!

We started with one as a pet. Then we had 2 deer given to us from an older man who couldnt care for them anymore (you obviously cant just let them go because they are tame and so he was going to have to put them down, so we rescued them) The bucks cannot go through a breeding season without breeding or they will kill themselves trying to get out the pen during the rut, thus we have fawns every year :)

My husband delved into taxidermy, so these deer are wonderful live models and we also now sell the urine to hunters. We have had a great interest in fawns and so we also have no trouble selling them every year. Around here there are many deer farms and new ones popping up all the time. Basically they are pets and a hobby for us :001_smile:

We are avid hunters, so we dont use these for meat. At my house we have live deer, freezers full of venison, and stuffed heads everywhere ;)

We started with one as a pet. Then we had 2 deer given to us from an older man who couldnt care for them anymore (you obviously cant just let them go because they are tame and so he was going to have to put them down, so we rescued them) The bucks cannot go through a breeding season without breeding or they will kill themselves trying to get out the pen during the rut, thus we have fawns every year :)

My husband delved into taxidermy, so these deer are wonderful live models and we also now sell the urine to hunters. We have had a great interest in fawns and so we also have no trouble selling them every year. Around here there are many deer farms and new ones popping up all the time. Basically they are pets and a hobby for us :001_smile:

We are avid hunters, so we dont use these for meat. At my house we have live deer, freezers full of venison, and stuffed heads everywhere ;)

Now there's a sentence one doesn't read on this board very often!:lol:

How high are your fences? Are the deer content to stay close as long as you are feeding them? What is the recommended animals per acre?

Now there's a sentence one doesn't read on this board very often!:lol:

How high are your fences? Are the deer content to stay close as long as you are feeding them? What is the recommended animals per acre?

Our fences are 10 feet tall. They stay put, but did bust through the gate once and were frolicking around my yard :glare: We got them back in and all was well.

There are really no requirements or anything as to deer per acre...we have 6 deer on half an acre and we rotate pens. This is the lowest amount of deer per acre anywhere we have ever been to and we have yet to lose a deer t any disease or illness. (our neighbors dog did kill our first buck)

They are wonderful!