Menu

Lord of the Rings - age appropriateness

We have the unabridged audio recordings of the Lord of the Rings cycle. When are children old enough to listen (in general)? I know all kids are different, but what would you recommend?

All the talk about Mordor and the Black Riders seems a bit much for DS 7 to hear now.

My younger 2 were 5 and 4 when they first heard The Hobbit and part of LOTR. I think it is a bit too scary for so young. maybe 9 or 10 depending on the child?

I think that LOTR is the greatest work of fiction ever produced by western civilization.

That said, it's a language-rich, densely-packed, multi-layered story. I think a more mature child will follow it better and enjoy it far more. My own dd, who is a strong reader, enjoyed the books as a read-aloud starting at around age 11. This is the child who was reading Dickens by then and who, at the age of 13, was comfortable reading Shakespeare and various medieval works.

I think 7yo is too young.

Save it for later.

It is a wonderful series. My son will read it when he does logic stage medieval times. There are soooo many good books for younger kids, read them instead.

The Hobbit is written for a younger audience, and except for the spider chapter, it is fine for a 7 year old in my opinion.

I think 7 is a bit young. My ds9 is listening tothe unabridged The Two Towers (after reading the Fellowship), and I think it is a little much for him, but he keeps pressing through. He loves the story, loves the characters, and can completely summarize for you the whole story, but it is just very dense, as a pp said. I think he will come back to it again and again in his lifetime, though. He truly is enjoying it.

I think that LOTR is the greatest work of fiction ever produced by western civilization.

That said, it's a language-rich, densely-packed, multi-layered story. I think a more mature child will follow it better and enjoy it far more. My own dd, who is a strong reader, enjoyed the books as a read-aloud starting at around age 11. This is the child who was reading Dickens by then and who, at the age of 13, was comfortable reading Shakespeare and various medieval works.

I think 7yo is too young.

:iagree:

I will also add that the book is much less dark and intense than the movies.

7 yo might be a good time for The Hobbit.

My husband tried to do the Hobbit with my kids about 6 years ago. They hated it. When they turned 14, 12, and 10, they requested to see the movies. We said, "Not until you read all four books." They spent this school year reading them, and all three kids did very well with it this time around. I would agree with OP's--wait until later, and try the Naria series in the meantime--wonderful books as well!