Menu

What happens to Singapore users after 6th grade?

I'm using Singapore Math with my 2 youngest children. We really love it and I love the way they are understanding how to manipulate numbers and not just memorize facts. I rely heavily on the Teacher's Guides that I think were developed by Sonlight. This is a different way to learn and teach Math, so I have to first study the lesson before I can teach it. I've noticed that the Teacher's Guides stop after 6th grade. What happens after that? I've looked at the higher levels, and I don't feel like I could teach without a guide. I like Math, but I'm not a Math major or teacher. What do you, who have used the guides and Singapore, done when your kids hit 7th grade?

Thanks for your help! :)

For dd, we started NEM 1, did great through the first pre-algebra chapters, then bogged down with the algebra. Cycled through several different programs, until she started algebra with a private teacher. Ds completed PM6B a few months ago, and has since completed LOF Pre-algebra 1, and is currently doing LOF Pre-algebra 2, which will be completed during the summer. Then on to NEM 1.

For dd, we started NEM 1, did great through the first pre-algebra chapters, then bogged down with the algebra. Cycled through several different programs, until she started algebra with a private teacher. Ds completed PM6B a few months ago, and has since completed LOF Pre-algebra 1, and is currently doing LOF Pre-algebra 2, which will be completed during the summer. Then on to NEM 1.

Sorry, I'm a total newbie here and I don't know all of the abbreviations. What is NEM? And PM6B?

Thanks! :001_smile:

I believe the woman who wrote the Home Instructor guides works for SingaporeMath.com and answers questions on their forum.

Also for high school you might want to ask / search in the high school area of this forum.

AND I don't know if you've seen, but there are teacher support material for at least some of the other series from Singapore -- check out this link

http://www.singaporemath.com/Secondary_math_s/22.htm

The new series, called Discovering Mathematics. Here's a great deal of info about it here: http://www.heartofdakota.com/board3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7945

and a little more here: http://www.heartofdakota.com/board3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9157&p=67357&hilit=discovering+mathematics#p67357

Look for the posts with red user name "Carrie"

Thanks! These are great links! It also answered one of my questions from another poster about what NEM stands for!

Is the teacher's guide as thorough as the Sonlight guides have been? Do they offer additional ideas for practice and explanation? As I stated, I'm not a big Math person, I've really needed those guides to help me.

You might want to see this thread by the author of the home instructor's and teacher's guides.

http://www.singaporemaths.com/forums/showthread.php?3031-Why-is-the-Standards-HIG-more-user-friendly-than-the-US-HIG

It does not sound like she is going to make ones for high school.

http://www.singaporemaths.com/forums/showthread.php?3191-Help!-Will-be-using-NEM-Syllabus-3A-and-there-is-no-solution-manual.

My oldest did Jacobs Algebra, Jacobs Geometry, Kinetic Books Algebra II, Larson's Precalculus (text used by Chalkdust), and then did trig using Lial's Trigonometry at the cc because she forgot all her trig when she went to take the placement test. She also took a statistics course at the cc.

My middle dd did half of Jacobs Algebra, all of Kinetic Books Algebra I, Jacobs Geometry, and Kinetic Books Algebra II (current). We plan to use Lial's Precalculus next year. I'm not sure what we'll use for Calculus, but I do want her to take the AP Calculus AB exam.

You might want to see this thread by the author of the home instructor's and teacher's guides.

http://www.singaporemaths.com/forums/showthread.php?3031-Why-is-the-Standards-HIG-more-user-friendly-than-the-US-HIG

It does not sound like she is going to make ones for high school.

http://www.singaporemaths.com/forums/showthread.php?3191-Help!-Will-be-using-NEM-Syllabus-3A-and-there-is-no-solution-manual.

Thanks for the links!

Bumming about not having the guides....:sad:

With my older son, I had him work in Saxon 1/2 for seventh grade and then he did Videotext for eighth and ninth (Algebra I and II and at least some trig).

For my younger son, who is more math oriented, I had him doing Algebra I, stretched over two years, concurrent with Singapore 6 and this year, for seventh. He also worked at home this year on Russian Math 6, which would make a great, stand-alone program as a follow-up to Singapore. It seems to me a natural, pre-algebra extension of that programming.

My younger son has used Algebra Structure and Method, Book 1 and will continue with book 2 of that series. These are the books famously authored by Mary Dolciani, Richard Brown and others back in the 60's, sometime, I think. Brown now continues the updates of those.

CyberShala offers online classes for NEM. I have no personal experience with them and can't recall hearing any reviews on the higher levels.

What I'm leaning towards at the moment is taking my DD through 5A and then doing 2 years of pre-algebra using a combination of Horizons Pre-Algebra, the 5B-6B Intensive Practice books, and DM1. After that, she'll probably do either Art of Problem Solving or a local program called Quantum Camp.

@ Angie in Texas and NicksMama:

Do the Math programs you recommended follow the same style of Math as Singapore? Meaning, do they focus on how to think mathematically? I think I've seen it referred to as conceptual versus methodical?

Thanks for your help!

Since we are using a "traditional" textbook, I'm not sure I can say they follow the same style as Singapore. What Singapore Primary gave my sons is the ability to be comfortable with manipulating numbers and a complete understanding of their relationship to one another...whole numbers to fractions, units to whole, fractions to decimals, etc. AND NOT to be afraid of word problems!

Now I chose a more traditional program for two reasons:

1. I was a poor math student in high school and needed the security of Dr. Mosely's lectures which are great - he shows you the "why" behind every algorithm, and

2. I wanted to transition my children to a traditional textbook and teach them how to use it (taking notes from it, doing examples) and see how to use it as a learning tool. I like the variety of examples and complex word problems in the Larson text.

hth,

K

With my older son, I had him work in Saxon 1/2 for seventh grade and then he did Videotext for eighth and ninth (Algebra I and II and at least some trig).

For my younger son, who is more math oriented, I had him doing Algebra I, stretched over two years, concurrent with Singapore 6 and this year, for seventh. He also worked at home this year on Russian Math 6, which would make a great, stand-alone program as a follow-up to Singapore. It seems to me a natural, pre-algebra extension of that programming.

My younger son has used Algebra Structure and Method, Book 1 and will continue with book 2 of that series. These are the books famously authored by Mary Dolciani, Richard Brown and others back in the 60's, sometime, I think. Brown now continues the updates of those.

If my sons had the extra time in junior high, I would have had them spend it on Russian Math 6 as a pre-algebra course. It's a really wonderful book. I worked through much of it myself for FUN!