Menu

Paperback Swap dilemma

One of PBS's requirements for a book to be considered in good enough condition to trade is that it not have any writing in it. I received a book a few days ago that has some marks in it (underlining, check marks) and a fair amount of highlighting in it.

This was a waiting list book, but I had only requested it a couple of weeks ago, so I wasn't on the list for long. The book was published in 1981, so I didn't expect it to be in "like new" condition, but I do wish it didn't have the highlighting.

What should I do? Should I report it as "received with a problem"? I've never had this happen before.

If it was a textbook, it is allowed to have some highlighting. But the sender is supposed to notify the receiver with that information before sending it. If you want it even with the stuff it has in it, I'd not put "with a problem" but would instead let them know in the part where it says, "Is there anything you'd like to tell the sender?" I'd put that I would have preferred to know about the highlighting & check marks before it was sent, and that they should let the receiver know next time.

I'd also mention it in the part where it says, "Is there any other information you'd like paperbackswap to know". It's nice if they have that information so they can inform what to do for next time.

I would mark "Received but with problems." I mistakenly sent a workbook to someone that had 3 lessons done, not realizing that I was supposed to let them know a head of time. I thought it was the other way around with workbooks. I responded to the receiver and asked if she would be unable to use the workbook intending to give back the credit if she wasn't going to be able to use it. I've also received two books with water damage. One I asked for my credit back because the book was unreadable, the other I let her and ppbk swap know, but did not ask for my credit back. They have a section in their FAQ that explains EVERYONE makes mistakes. They want you to document when it happens and let the person know they made a mistake so it doesn't happen again. That way, if it DOES happen again, PBS has records of it and they will close down someone's account after 3 or 4 times of the same infraction.

HTH!

Blessings!

Dorinda

I've had that happen before. I do mark them received with a problem. Whether I ask for a credit back kind of depends. If I had planned on using it for ds and having him do his own highlighting, etc, I will ask. If it's excessive, like more than a few pages, I will ask.

Most of the times it hasn't been an issue getting the credit returned, usually people claim they didn't even look through the book. :001_huh:

So if I say "received with a problem" it doesn't automatically remove the credit from the seller? It's between me and him?

Yes. And, if you ask for your credit back the seller CAN NOT request you give the book back. If the seller refuses your credit, then you get PBS involved. However, PBS monitors the whole dialog so just make sure you're abiding by the rules .

I've had that happen before. I do mark them received with a problem. Whether I ask for a credit back kind of depends. If I had planned on using it for ds and having him do his own highlighting, etc, I will ask. If it's excessive, like more than a few pages, I will ask.

Most of the times it hasn't been an issue getting the credit returned, usually people claim they didn't even look through the book. :001_huh:

I've noticed that too. The one that was so water damaged that I had to throw it out, the person was a used book seller and was getting rid of inventory.:glare:

i would contact the sender first. i mistakenly sent a book that i dodnt know my child had drawn in. there were a few scribbles, not rendering the book unreadable and i just didnt think to look thru the pages before sending because the book was in such good condition on the outside. well, i got a message from pbk swap and it made me feel like i purposely sent a ruined book thru the mail. it left me feeling, well, not as good as if i could have worked it out with the recipiant.

Thanks, everyone. I did mark it received with a problem, just in case this is a chronic problem with the swapper. I'm not asking for the credit back, though. The book is still readable and not one I plan on keeping long term, so it doesn't matter to me that much.

One of PBS's requirements for a book to be considered in good enough condition to trade is that it not have any writing in it. I received a book a few days ago that has some marks in it (underlining, check marks) and a fair amount of highlighting in it.

This was a waiting list book, but I had only requested it a couple of weeks ago, so I wasn't on the list for long. The book was published in 1981, so I didn't expect it to be in "like new" condition, but I do wish it didn't have the highlighting.

What should I do? Should I report it as "received with a problem"? I've never had this happen before.

Here's the section on problem transactions.

One excerpt: If you receive a book with an "unofficial problem" as listed below you should mark it received normally and note the problem on the Book Received/Survey page. You are not obligated to return the problem item at your expense, but if the sender gives you an extra credit or postage to do so, of course you may. If a pattern of "official" OR "unofficial" problems (especially official problems that are not resolved according to requestor follow-up) emerges on a sender's account, we will take action.

I try to extend a lot of grace to senders. If something is still usable for the use I'd intended. But if a book is written in, then I can't repost it on PBS, without violating the rules. So that is a frustration.

Be gentle, kind and polite. As someone else mentioned, it does feel bad to have someone report the book you sent as violating swap rules (even when it was in fact a violation). Most senders will work with you to correct the problem one way or another.

Yes. And, if you ask for your credit back the seller CAN NOT request you give the book back. If the seller refuses your credit, then you get PBS involved. However, PBS monitors the whole dialog so just make sure you're abiding by the rules .

I think they can ask for it back, but they have to provide compensation for return postage (a credit or some kind of payment).

I always mark recieved with a problem if I recieve a book that doesn't meet posting guidelines. I have had it happen to me once as a seller when I didn't check a book carefully enough. Sometimes it's an honest mistake but I do think books should not be posted if they don't meet PBS guidelines.