Menu

Societal Observation

You're right. I got a BS in education without the ability to write an organized essay.

I have 128 credit hours and have never had to write a research paper. I've written other kinds of papers that just required personal opinions of something I've read. I've never had to write a paper longer than 3 pages (double-spaced, Times New Roman Font 12).

I often refer to these as illustrated books, although I do know what picture books are. However, I think this is a ridiculous example.

I agree; this is a technical jargon of sorts used by teachers, librarians, and some members of the public. It doesn't mean she doesn't understand the concept or has never read books. I am certain there is lawyer jargon she is very familiar with, that you wouldn't find obvious off the cuff.

I have not observed on this board, any superior usage of grammar or spelling than among members of the general public. I see grammar mistakes and spelling errors and the like all the time on here. As well as people espousing thoroughly shocking educational strategies, to me. Oh well.

I was educated in a public school. I wrote long papers in high school. I read real books. I believe in the importance of public schools to this country and the world. I don't spend my time tearing others down in order to try to make myself look taller in comparison.

On a side, one of my sister's previous professors read tons of letters written in the 1920's by inmates for her thesis. So, I'm assuming that none of these guys were educated beyond the 8th grade. The professor was shocked at the vocabulary and eloquence of the letters. Written by criminals. One of her comments about this was that very few averagely educated ppl today would be able to write with such skill.

I was going to say the same thing - if you read things published for general consumption written in the 20s and 30s, they are at a much higher level than what you find today. I'm surprised that anyone is arguing that this isn't the case. :confused:

I was going to say the same thing - if you read things published for general consumption written in the 20s and 30s, they are at a much higher level than what you find today. I'm surprised that anyone is arguing that this isn't the case. :confused:

:iagree: My grandfather had to quit school in the 3rd grade to work with his parents in the fields. His skills were much better than what I have encountered in my college classes the last few semesters. It's sad and I've often wondered when the decline in what/how schools are teaching started.

Edited by Horton

:iagree: Both of my grandfathers had only an eighth grade education in the 1920's and their knowledge astounded me. I believe they had the equivalent of a high school education today if not more. My one grandfather remembered his Latin in fact:D I know it is only anecdotal but I suspect that many aspects of education was much more rigorous in those days.

I often refer to these as illustrated books, although I do know what picture books are. However, I think this is a ridiculous example.

I am also not sure the majority of hsers are going to be able to do better than some schools, especially at the high school level, given some of the issues I've seen here with writing, spelling, grammar etc. (I am speaking beyond typos or dashed-off thoughts too late at night. I am talking foundational skills.)

I

Dh and I had dinner with a lawyer friend of his and her husband. They have kids around the same ages as ours. We were discussing bedtime routines, and I said, "My kids still like to read picture books in addition to the chapter books we usually read." Lawyer woman said, "What are picture books?" I said, "You know, just the regular kid books with the pictures on every page." She said, "Oh." She was publicly educated.

QUOTE]

They are called picture books at the library. There's a whole section devoted to picture books at every library I've ever visited. They are called picture books at Barnes & Noble. That's what they're called. Even if said lawyer didn't know that's what they're called, she could have deduced the meaning from the story about my reading them to my kids at bed time. This is typical of the lack of thinking and general knowledge that I've noticed from many younger adults.

Who is doing that?

The students are the victims. I don't see anyone criticizing them.

I was making a general point.

It's very common to see criticism directed at those who once were students for their ignorance.

I tend to agree that there is a problem. But I don't think it's a public/private/ home school problem.

You object to "sweeping attitudes" (I'm not sure what a sweeping attitude is. Possibly a sweeping generalization?) but start your comment with a...... sweeping generalization (ie attitude).

Folks here are very invested in non-homeschoolers being thoroughly ignorant.

I do not understand that sweeping attitude at all, although given that so many posters here are not what I would call the most excellent communciators, I can see that some schools have not been able to teach the most basic skills. (Although my theory is that dyslexia and other processing disorders are more rampant than autism.)

I have learned to avert my eyes to all of the alots, there's, Mom's, cat's, and more. My hope is that hsing parents can learn along with their children.

ETA: Pot kettle black

While gammar and spelling are important skills that we all should try to improve, critical reading skills are too.

Edited by Stacy in NJ