Menu

Benefits from a course on the recorder?

DD has chosen the flute as her instrument of choice, since she is only 5 I am thinking the recorder would be a better fit (and easier for mom). I know nothing about the recorder, the piano is more to my taste. Any information you can give me would be great. I particularly want to know it would not be a waste of time. I have no idea how to add it in, as I am already stressing over adding sign language and even grammar LOL.

Thanks!

Five is a little young for the recorder, unless she has unusually large hands and excellent coordination. I started my boys at seven and it was a good fit. Benefits? Coordination, beginning music theory, reading music, fun... We use Recorder From the Beginning, by Pitts.

Laura

The recorder is an excellent basic instrument to learn before moving on to other instruments. However, I agree with the pp that age 5 is a little young. I've taught instrumental music for many years and never had a recorder student that young that did well. They can start out well, but when they get to songs that require more than just moving the fingers on the left hand they start to struggle. And if she has tiny fingers it will be hard for her to cover the holes all the way. I would wait about 2 years to try recorder and then start flute around age 9-10. Flute can be a difficult instrument to begin - it takes a lot of breath control and can be difficult to hold for younger students. I recommend starting a wind instrument no earlier than 4th or 5th grade.

I agree that a bit older to try the recorder would be good. But it is a perfect instrument to play before the flute because the fingerings are pretty similar and the music would be pretty similar as well. I played the recorder before starting the flute in 7th grade and it was a lot easier because I already knew the fingerings and how to read the music.

I have a serious flautist daughter. She started with a "bent head" flute at about 9 I think. She started recorder at about 7, she also plays tin whistle. Recorder or whistle is a good place to start, and with a whistle the holes are closer together, so you can start earlier. Most Irish and Scottish trad music is in D so get a D whistle and book. Also with a whistle the fingering is intuitive, so it is easier to pick up. the fingering is different from a recorder. mind you recorders come in different sizes and fingerings too...

My dd plays in a recorder ensemble, as well as the flute. She also plays whistle in a folk dance band. They all seem to be pretty compatible.

I, however, cannot play a note or carry a tune in a bucket, so this information just comes from watching/listening to dd.

She had an introduction to the recorder at age 9 in PS. When I brought her home to learn we joined in the local Youth Music club & put all 3 dc in recorder lessons. They were 10, 8, & 4yo at the time. After a term the teacher asked for the 4yo to wait until he was 6yo. Dd began flute at age 12yo & the recorder was a great beginning for her.

What I like best about the recorder is it is an inexpensive way to introduce children to reading music & daily practice. Daily practice is so important for success in any intrument. Ds#2 has moved onto the violin, but still likes to pick up the recorder once in a while & play me a tune.

JMHO,

Sign language will start as soon as I have the money, because she loves it.

Don't know what your experience with signed languages is, but here's a learning tip for you. Don't speak! That may sound silly, but while it facilitates communication, it really hampers learning. Your eyes won't learn to accept and process the language if your ears are doing it instead. If you're really serious about learning (American Sign Language?) look for a program that teaches grammar, not sign singing. Of course, if you are doing it for fun, not to really learn the language, sign singing will be more fun for kiddies.

:)

Rosie- Auslan user, (Australian Sign Language) but the principles are the same.

One of my dd's started the sopranino recorder at 6 because it's smaller and could be managed by smaller hands. However, it is very annoying to listen to that high pitched recorder all the time. Plus, it's an F recorder and the sorprano recorder is a C recorder.

As for benefits, there are many. At 7 she could manage a soprano recorder, but her hands will still be too small for a transverse flute. A background in piano can also help a great deal, particularly with theory, but the recorder lends itself well to ensemble music. My dds and I did some duets and trios for grandparents, etc. I have an alto recorder, so we were also able to do alto/soprano duets.

Thanks for all the good info! I am glad to know that I haven't really been tardy in thinking about introducing recorder. My daughter is 7 and small framed. I had the impression from somewhere that 5 was a good age to start with this, so I have been feeling vaguely guilty that we haven't really pulled out the one we have yet (note, not guilty enough to *do* something about it;)). Actually, my husband plays the tin whistle and I have been trying to get him to take on her music lessons (he also sings very well and has some skill on the guitar and keyboard---he's the musical one in the family).

Karen,

Thanks for posting this question. I have been thinking about starting recorder with my oldest next year!

I didn't post the original question, just was expressing my gratitude for folks making me realize I can stop feeling vaguely guilty:001_smile:. Sorry if my word choice made it look like I was the OP.