Menu

Selfish whining.

Many months ago, my career mentor suggested that I attend a particular professional conference. She thought that the people there would find my work interesting, that I would meet people who could help me in my work, and that the presentations would really interest me. As a bonus, I would also get to meet her in real life for the first time. (Our mentoring relationship takes place over the phone.)

I submitted some of my recent research, and was asked to give an oral presentation at the conference. I have money in my grant to pay for the trip. Did I mention that the conference is being held in Miami Beach, in a hotel that faces directly onto the beach?

I've been so excited about the trip. Professionally it would be really, really good for me. And personally, two nights in a quiet clean hotel room with no one constantly wanting things from me all the time... yeah. I can't even tell you how much I need that.

I called today and cancelled my reservations.

My father-in-law died last week. I was supposed to leave for the conference on Sunday. It just isn't right for my husband or my kids, for me to go away right now. He's not ready for the strain of 100% solo parenting for three days. The kids just spent a week with their lives and routines totally disrupted, living out of a hotel room and dealing with strange situations and strange reactions from the adults in their lives. They're not ready for their mom to go away. (It would be the first time for my two-year-old.)

The right thing is for me not to go. Really, I can't go - I never had time to write my talk. There's no question that my family comes first, and this is what my family needs. I truly wouldn't feel right if I did go. I know that.

And yet... is it wrong of me to be sad that I'm missing the conference? I'm so disappointed. I really wanted to go. Next year feels awfully far away.

:grouphug: How disappointing - I get it. You are a great mama and wife though and your research/presentation will surely be a success when the opportunity arises again. It's so difficult to wear all those hats. You are doing an admirable job! Sorry for the loss of your fil. Treat yourself to something special at home even if it is small.

:grouphug: I''m so sorry, it is not at all wrong for you to be sad. I would venture to say that anyone would be totally frustrated and disappointed in your position. Is there anything you can do by way of compensation to cheer yourself up? Maybe a day or half a day off by yourself to do something you'd really love? It might be good for Dad too, to help him to learn how to deal with the littles on his own ;). Or maybe just a fun day out as a family? I'm sure you'll get many more opportunities in the future, I've really appreciated reading your posts here, and have looked at your blog too :001_smile:, you seem like a very talented lady.

I'm so sorry to hear about your FIL. :(

I think that feeling disappointed is totally understandable so whine away! But I think you made a very unselfish decision that was for the good of your family and you are a great mom for that. :grouphug:

Next year will come soon enough and it will be a great experience because you will be fully prepared and won't have the distractions or concerns that would be happening if you went now. :001_smile: