Menu

Growing cucumbers

Gardeners--

We have new raised garden beds with 30" sides. I want to plant cucumbers--to save space, can I let the vines trail down the sides or do I have to trellis them up?

You don't want them on the ground because they can get diseased from sitting in the wet ground. But I've never gardened in beds so there you go. :tongue_smilie:

Last year was our first year to trellis them. Definitely the way to go!!! They will take over your bed so watch out!! :)

On a side question...last year's cucumbers were sort of bitter tasting. Not cool-refreshing. Was it the type I had? Or is there a "right" time to pick them other than "big and green"?

I trellis them up and it's (IMHO) the only way to grow them now. It keeps them from getting all gross on the ground, plus it saves space. Regarding bitter - I really have no idea what causes them to be bitter, but I do know that the regular cucumbers can be really iffy, so I only grow Japanese cucumbers and I have never had a bitter one. I think Japanese cucumbers are better tasting anyhow.

I have four 8 ft tall posts one on each corner of a bed and then run string across the top and bottom and then run strings from the bottom to the top.

The cucumbers climb up the strings reaching the top by the end of summer. I can fit 16 plants in a 4 x 4 ft bed. I get tons of cucumbers - more than we can eat. So I usually pickle a bunch.

Cukes get bitter if you let them get thirsty. Cukes need a lot of water, and don't do well with feast/famine cycles. Just be sure to water frequently enough that they never get droughty. Exactly how often totally depends on your climate/soil, but typically it'd be at least two thorough soakings each week. Mulching the ground (straw or grass clippings or black plastic) will help the soil retain moisture and reduce the need for frequent watering.

If you keep them watered, they'll never get bitter. (If they get too big, they just turn yellow and woody, and not appealing. . . I've never tried a baseball bat sized one, so can't swear they won't get bitter if they REALLY get huge!)