Menu

Is the desk apprentice at staples *really* wonderful?

I am a sucker for office supplies and the http://www.staples.com/apprentice has caught my eye.

I'm worried it will become more desk clutter, though. Ideally I would like something that would hold both school supplies, my planner, and my teacher manuals.

I've had one for several years but, honestly, I don't like how big it is. Yes, it holds a lot but you have to have one large, flat space to make it work. It really won't work to rotate on a desk unless the desk is huge!

I have mine sitting on a shelf of a bookcase. I rarely even bring it down anymore.

JMO,

They are big. Right now mine has big workbooks, my record book, his pencils and my pens and the wet-erase pens, scissors, pointers, erasers, magnifying glasses, art paper, geography books, maps, science log, etc etc etc. I keep all the math stuff in a plastic box off to the side and a multi layer stand with our "daily stuff" on each shelf, but anything that isn't gotten into 4 times a week or more lives in my DA. So, I do love it. I've had it for a few years and it still looks new, and rotates silently.

Great, but do measure out your space.

I love that thing. LOVE it.

BUT....if you can, go to Staples and look at it in person. It is big. Huge. And even though I looked at the measurements online ahead of time I was still shocked at how large it was when I went to the store. So make sure it will work in your space.

If it will fit, I think it is fabulous. It holds all of my TMs, hanging files with copies, worksheets, extra paper, etc, and lots of random supplies in the corners (pens, stapler, pencils, markers, hole punch, etc). And it still isn't totally full.

I think when the kids are a bit bigger I'd like them to each have their own for their workbooks and stuff. We have a lot of room in our school area so we have the space. It is one of my favorite school purchases.

(and BTW it is usually $24.99 in the store)

It was a waste of money for me. We do our work on the dining room table and the desk apprentice took up too much space. I had to keep it on the same shelf that I had all the manuals and workbooks on in the first place which defeated the purpose of having the materials right on hand at the table. Also, I had to pull it off the shelf a little to turn it so I could reach the books. Finally, I tried sitting it on the floor near the table but after tripping on it, I realized it was just not going to work out.

My name is MaMa2005 and I am a Desk Apprentice addict :001_smile:. I have three of them. Two hold all of DS's schooling materials, TEs, etc. and the other one just has my day to day stuff in it. They are big, but with the right set up, they work wonderfully. I work on two six foot long conference tables set at right angles to each other which hold three desk apprentices, printer, two laptops, speakers and a storage drawer. DS's small desk is then at the end of one of the tables, forming a small U shape.

If you use magazine holders, two will fit inside the desk apprentice with room to spare. The holders keep workbooks from falling over and getting squished inside the apprentice.