Menu

What is your favorite retelling of the Odyssey?

mo2

For kids who are MTH age then the Osborne version is wonderful. Both my boys got so much out of those books. I think their love for the classics started with the Osborne books. They were accessible and exciting in just the right way. My younger son, 6, still listens to the audio version before bed.

For older kids, I found a wonderful but hard to find book. it is A Giant Golden Book Iliad and Odyssey, adapted by Jane Werner Watson with illustrations by Alice and Martin Provensen. My copy is from 1956.

http://tinyurl.com/3ubrq6v

Here is a website someone started with pictures etc from the book. They never finished their project, but what is there is beautiful. Beware, it has music. If you click "embark" a small window pops up with some things to look at. FYI, some of the stuff scrolls very slowly. I thought nothing was happening, it is just slow, dreamy animation.

http://iliadodyssey.com/

My kids love the Alan Lee illustrated versions of Black Ships Before Troy and The Wanderings of Odysseus.

:iagree:Mine too. Dd 16 listened to The Iliad and The Odyssey this year, and we found that the Sutcliffe versions did a wonderful job of preserving the original feel of the language.

For kids who are MTH age then the Osborne version is wonderful. Both my boys got so much out of those books. I think their love for the classics started with the Osborne books. They were accessible and exciting in just the right way. My younger son, 6, still listens to the audio version before bed.

For older kids, I found a wonderful but hard to find book. it is A Giant Golden Book Iliad and Odyssey, adapted by Jane Werner Watson with illustrations by Alice and Martin Provensen. My copy is from 1956.

http://tinyurl.com/3ubrq6v

Here is a website someone started with pictures etc from the book. They never finished their project, but what is there is beautiful. Beware, it has music. If you click "embark" a small window pops up with some things to look at. FYI, some of the stuff scrolls very slowly. I thought nothing was happening, it is just slow, dreamy animation.

http://iliadodyssey.com/

Yes! We have that book (spine at this point much taped). I don't usually recommend it because it's so difficult to find. But I'm so glad you mentioned it, and that (odd) website.

What did you think of Mary Pope Osborne's? My 7yo loves Magic Tree House, and I was wondering if this would be a good retelling for him.

We enjoyed it. It told the story in a simple manner, easy to understand for my then 8yo (who also really likes the MTH books). I thought it was a good introduction.

I think I will get the Sutcliffe version, because we read Black Ships Before Troy and liked it. Thank you all. I have the Children's Homer on my list to read also.

I'm trying to decide between McCaughrean and Sutcliffe. We've already read Mary Pope Osborne's.

I vote for both! We read both you mentioned, and a couple others. If I had to choose, and am remembering right that your oldest is fairly young, I think McCaughrean is slightly better suited to grammar stage kids than Sutcliffe. If you'll be reading this aloud, however, I'd go with Sutcliffe due to the awesome illustrations.

I vote for both! We read both you mentioned, and a couple others. If I had to choose, and am remembering right that your oldest is fairly young, I think McCaughrean is slightly better suited to grammar stage kids than Sutcliffe. If you'll be reading this aloud, however, I'd go with Sutcliffe due to the awesome illustrations.

Thanks. She is newly 9yo, and we will be reading it aloud, as she is not a strong reader herself. We liked Black Ships Before Troy, so I think I will just go with Sutcliffe for now and maybe get McCaughrean later.

I read the Sutcliffe version for my ds7 boys. I wasn't sure they would get anything out of it, as it is well above their level of understanding (I thought!) but they both enjoyed it, and when we came to the SOTW section both boys brightened and were so excited.

One of them couldn't help himself, he had to yell out, "Oh! I know this story!"

It's amazing what even young children are capable of.