Menu

Too late to plant a garden?

I'm wondering if it's too late to plant a few things? We are late, but I'm thinking about trying anyway. Has anyone planted a garden in May? What did you plant? We are in Texas where it's hot and humid. I'm thinking to just go for it and see if we can "defy the gardening rules" and it work anyway. We'll see...

I'm wondering if it's too late to plant a few things? We are late, but I'm thinking about trying anyway. Has anyone planted a garden in May? What did you plant? We are in Texas where it's hot and humid. I'm thinking to just go for it and see if we can "defy the gardening rules" and it work anyway. We'll see...

I don't know about Texas, but I'm in the midwest and was actually just out planting our sweet corn today. Here, some people have their gardens planted, and some don't yet. We are running a little later than I would like, but we'll still have our crop.

I don't know about Texas, but I'm in the midwest and was actually just out planting our sweet corn today. Here, some people have their gardens planted, and some don't yet. We are running a little later than I would like, but we'll still have our crop.

No, no, it's never too late. :001_smile: I am starting with containers since we are in the middle of a move. I will buy plants instead of growing from seeds.

Rototill a patch and stick something in it! ;)

I'm in Idaho, and am just starting to plant. I usually start a little earlier (and usually get dinged by frost), but this spring has been cooler than most and I've held off.

Yay! Good to know we can do it AND actually get something from it! We were just going to have fun and do it. We did a small one a couple of years ago and then just did flowers in it last year. We'll see how it goes. There were two ant beds in it today when we went to clean it out and weed it, so we have to wait another day so those can die after I killed the beds. Good thing I'm cleaning it all out and replacing with new soil. What do you all do for fire ants, instead of the regular poison powder?

Yay! Good to know we can do it AND actually get something from it! We were just going to have fun and do it. We did a small one a couple of years ago and then just did flowers in it last year. We'll see how it goes. There were two ant beds in it today when we went to clean it out and weed it, so we have to wait another day so those can die after I killed the beds. Good thing I'm cleaning it all out and replacing with new soil. What do you all do for fire ants, instead of the regular poison powder?

Nah, it's not too late. It just means that you'll only get one crop instead of two!!

Until this year, I lived in Texas. We would plant in March, harvest in June; plant in June and harvest in September (usually Labor Day weekend). :)

This year I bought this "Planting By Color" e-book, and it has made me feel so much more confident about what to plant when! You pick your "color" based on the last frost date in the spring and your first frost date in the fall for your area (you can find these with a google search, or she has info on how to find them on her site). Then you print out notebook pages for each week that tell you what you can plant that week. I am loving it!

We only have our peas planted. Your state may be a bit different.
Don't know what state you are in - but I am in one of the colder zones of Texas and just pulled up our peas this weekend. They are done for the year.

That's okay, though. We are already eating fresh tomatoes and zucchini from the garden. :D