Menu

When did you read The Hobbit...

...to your children (if you did, that is). What ages were they? I am so anxious to share this book with my DD (5.5), but like any book I want to present it to her at just the right time. So, when did you share this wonderful book with your children?

argh! i detest fantasy. had to read the Hobbit in 7th grade. haven't bothered sharing it w/ my kids as a read aloud, but my oldest has read the Tolkien books around 10yo i think.

go ahead and share it now for fun if you want to, and read it again later for a deeper understanding :) Who says you gotta do it only once?!!??

argh! i detest fantasy. had to read the Hobbit in 7th grade. haven't bothered sharing it w/ my kids as a read aloud, but my oldest has read the Tolkien books around 10yo i think.

go ahead and share it now for fun if you want to, and read it again later for a deeper understanding :) Who says you gotta do it only once?!!??

OH. MY. GOODNESS. I SHOULD negative rep you for such a statement! :lol::tongue_smilie::lol:

OH. MY. GOODNESS. I SHOULD negative rep you for such a statement! :lol::tongue_smilie::lol:

well, if it's any consolation, we're planning to do the Further Up and Further In study in a couple years, and Literary Lessons from LOTR after that, lol. I'll pretend to think it's fascinating :)

well, if it's any consolation, we're planning to do the Further Up and Further In study in a couple years, and Literary Lessons from LOTR after that, lol. I'll pretend to think it's fascinating :)

HA! That is tremendous. I really love her program. :) So, I am *so* glad I didn't negative rep you. :lol::tongue_smilie::lol:

I am so anxious to share this book with my DD (5.5), but like any book I want to present it to her at just the right time.

Well, I dont really know about the age, but I wanted to mention that you should prepare yourself for the possibility that she won't like it at any age, lol. I have had several books that I've tried getting my oldest (now 10) into at various times over the years, and some of my beloved favorites he just tossed aside. Painful to me, lol, but I guess they just weren't his cup o tea.

Seriously, there is no harm in reading a chapter or two aloud and seeing how she reacts.. at that age my boys have loved having adventure books read aloud to them, and the older one has gone on to re-read some of them to himself (and his younger brother) as he has gotten older. They may not get all the nuances in the first go-round, but if it is a story that is captivating, I think they will keep returning to it.

jmo

Kate

ds 10

ds 6

dd 3

enjoyment. You could always try reading it to her and see what happens! If she's bored, just set it aside for a couple of years (or less) and try again!

I started reading The Lord of the Rings to my oldest two girls when we first started homeschooling, mostly because the movies were just coming out at that time and I wanted them to understand the story. My middle girl was in 2nd grade at the time. One day when she was sick, in the middle of that year, I told her to go lie down in bed and rest and take the day off of school. Unbeknownst to me, she grabbed The Fellowship of the Ring, which we happened to be reading at the time, and started reading it on her own. She loved it so much that she kept on reading, and reading, and reading. She read all three books by herself! It was the single most influential moment of her life that year. At the beginning of the school year (our first year of homeschooling) she was not reading very well at all. Even though she didn't understand all of what she was reading, and even though she read them through very slowly, that moment was a "watershed" for her. She turned from someone who was being taught how to read into a real reader! She read volumes of books after that!

My kids have always told me that they really learned how to read well once they found a book that they really wanted to read. This was the book for her.

So, The Hobbit may not be "the" book for your daughter, but you could always try it. If she doesn't like it, just wait a while. Eventually there will be a right time. And, she may never like fantasy literature, like Peek-a-Boo said, but eventually she'll find a book she does love and will latch onto it!

:)

I think dd was four - the same age I was when I was first introduced to Tolkien. We were worried that Smaug might frighten her, but she wasn't troubled by him at all. We read the book twice that year, literally finishing the last page and then opening up to the front again. :)

Hmmm...maybe it's time for a re-read...

My ds was 7 and my dd was 9. DD loved it so much she had to have her own copy from the library so she could read it in her spare time. At one point, she passed dh up (he was doing the read aloud) and she had to pace herself so she didn't get ahead.

I read it to the kids over a year ago. The kids were at the most 8, 7 & 5. I do remember my 5 year old would wander in and out of the room while I read it. It's been so long, I'm not even sure if my older kids remember too much of the story. I don't think I want to read it aloud again. So many books, so little time. Hmmm, perhaps I will look into the book on tape for our next long distance trip.

But I was already reading hard books to her. She really liked being read to. I think I may have skipped some of the long descriptions of landscapes and trails, but other than that we read the whole thing. Each time I opened the book I would ask her to tell me the last thing that had happened, or I would remind her of the last things that had happened. I attribute to this practice the ease with which DD transitioned to composing good summaries...an unexpected result.