Menu

Does anyone have a good cornbread recipe?

this probably isn't what you want exactly...but you should make it anyway, it's delicious :)

Corn Pie

2 graham cracker crusts

1 can corn, drained

1 can creamed corn

2 sticks of butter, softened

1 8oz sour cream

1 box jiffy corn muffin mix

Mix everything together and pour into the two crusts. Bake at 350 about 1 hour, until lightly browned at the edges. Serve warm or room temperature.

This is a HUGE favorite.

Mexican Cornbread

1 ½ cups cornmeal

3 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

1 tsp sugar

3 eggs

1 cup grated cheese

1 can corn—whole kernel

1 cup buttermilk

2/3 cup oil

1 small onion

½ cup green pepper, chopped

1 or two small hot peppers

Mix well. Bake for 30 min at 375.

If you use Cornmeal mix leave out the baking powder and salt.

That does look yummy!

The best cornbread that I have found is the Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix. I hope someone does give you a recipe. None of the ones I have tried have been very good. They are always way too dry.

Blessings,

Pat

Cornbread is a served often in my house. Try adding half a cup of oil and using buttermilk instead of sweet milk.

Do you like it sweet or not sweet? Cake-like or more traditional?

I have recipes for all of the above, because it depends upon what I'm making with it. ;)

Traditional, not sweet:

http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2007/01/iron-pan-perfect-cornbread.html

Cornbread

Ingredients:

2 cups of cornmeal (yellow or white)

½ cup sifted flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 egg lightly beaten

2 cups buttermilk

2 tablespoons bacon drippings or vegetable oil

Method:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Put the drippings or oil in a cast iron skillet and place it in the oven for a few minutes until it’s sizzling.

Mix together dry ingredients. Set aside.

Whisk egg and buttermilk. Mix with dry ingredients

Take cast iron skillet out of oven, and pour hot oil into batter, and mix.

Pour batter into cast iron skillet, bake in oven for 20 minutes. Cornbread should be brown on top and pulling away from the sides of the skillet.

Cakelike, sweet:

Marie Callender's Corn Bread and Honey Butter

3/4 cup cornmeal

2 1/4 cup flour

1/2 cup sugar

1 tbl baking powder

1 tsp salt

1 cup milk

1 1/2 cup butter melted

3 ea eggs beaten

HONEY BUTTER

1/4 cup honey

1/2 cup butter - (1 stick) softened

Preheat oven to 400 dF

In a large bowl, mix together corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Blend well. Add milk, butter and eggs to blend.

Pour into greased 9- by 13-inch pan. Bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Honey Butter: Mix honey and butter together. Can be stored in refrigerator for one week.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

this probably isn't what you want exactly...but you should make it anyway, it's delicious :)

Corn Pie

2 graham cracker crusts

1 can corn, drained

1 can creamed corn

1 8oz sour cream

Mix everything together and pour into the two crusts. Bake at 350 about 1 hour, until lightly browned at the edges. Serve warm or room temperature.

This is a HUGE favorite.

This doesn't even remotely resemble cornbread but it looks DELICIOUS!!!! Gotta try it.

This is very sweet cornbread:

1 Cup flour

1 Cup cornmeal

1 Cup sugar

1 t salt

3 1/2 t baking powder

1 egg

1 Cup milk

1/3 Cup canola oil

Mix all dry ingredients

Add in remaining ingredients and stir until moist

Pour into 2 greased dishes

Bake at 400 for 25 minutes

If you choose to use one dish, it takes longer to bake and gets too well done on the bottom for my taste.

Corn Pie

2 graham cracker crusts

1 can corn, drained

1 can creamed corn

1 8oz sour cream

This is a HUGE favorite.

This recipe tastes almost exactly the same with fat free yogurt in place of the sour cream and substituting one egg for the second stick of butter.

I LOVE fat and rarely make a recipe healthier, but it really does taste quite similar.

I like the Hillbilly Housewife's corn bread recipe.

My Best Cornbread

1/2 cup margarine (1 stick)

1-1/2 cups buttermilk (powdered buttermilk is fine, or even yogurt or sour milk would work)

2 medium eggs

1/3 cup sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup yellow cornmeal

1 cup flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

You really need an iron skillet to make this, but if you just don’t have one, a nine inch square or round cake pan will do. Get your large iron skillet, or 9″ pan and put the margarine in it. Put the pan into the oven at 400° allowing the margarine to melt, and the pan to heat.

In a large bowl combine the buttermilk, eggs, sugar and salt. Use a whisk to mix it up really well. Pour in the melted margarine, leaving about a tablespoon of it left in the hot pan. Be careful pouring so you don’t get burned. Beat everything up again. Finally add the cornmeal, flour and baking soda. Whisk again until the batter is mostly smooth. Turn the batter into the hot skillet or pan, on top of the little bit of margarine you saved in it. Carefully put the skillet back into the oven. Bake the cornbread at 400° for about 25 minutes. It will be golden brown and the edges will pull away from the sides of the pan. Remove the pan from the oven and let it cool a little while before slicing into 8 or 12 wedges.

The iron skillet gives this cornbread the traditional crispy hillbilly crust. Another pan will still cook it, but it will not be quite the same. The buttermilk and sugar make the cornbread very tender and sweet. A perfect accompaniment for spicy dishes like Chili and stew. This is the best cornbread I have ever eaten, there is another recipe though, of a heartier and coarser nature, which is a little easier to make, Plain Cornbread.