Menu

Artichokes?

Oh yummy! I love artichokes, though they are a little work to eat. Yes, simmer them till they're soft and then pick off the leaves, dip the end in mayo and use your teeth to scrape off the soft part. Then, when you're done with that, cut the poky parts off the heart and eat that, too. It's good stuff!

My family loves them simple. Just simmer in water for about an hour until the bottom part is tender. They dip the leaves in mayo to eat then fight over who gets to eat the heart.

This is what we do too. I put a little olive oil and garlic powder in the water, and we dip in lemon/butter sauce. YUM!

Chicken and Artichokes with Pesto!

Brown skinless, boneless chicken tenders.

Add onions and garlic. Saute.

Add a little lemon juice, a little salt and pepper, some lemon slices, enough chicken broth (home made makes a huge difference) to make a gravy, and simmer with artichoke hearts. Put a little baby swiss cheese on the top of each chicken piece.

When melted, serve with a salad and rotini with basil pesto. It's delicious with the sauce over the pasta. :swoon:

Enjoy!

Don't trim them (waste of time) except perhaps the bottom of the stalk if really long. Then steam in water with a touch of acid (vinegar or lemon) to retain bright color.

They should be done in about 35 minutes. When you can pull a leaf off fairly easily (don't burn yourself) they are done. Don't overcook, an hour is way too long.

Then when cooled pull leaves, scrape off "meat" by pulling leaves between loosely clamped teeth. Some like to dip in mayo, aioli, olive oil/lemon/garlic, or warm clarified butter. Good plain too.

ETA:Greek yogurt and garlic is a nice dip too.

When you get to the "choke" use a spoon to gently get under it and remove. Take care it is all off and clean. Then eat the "heart". Much of the inner stem can be eater too if the fibrous outer portion is removed. The inner stem is often wasted, but it is quite good.

Enjoy!

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

Waaaay back in the beginning, I simmered artichokes. And then the microwave became a household item. Am I dating myself?

Cut off the bottom of the stalk at the base of the choke so that the artichoke stands flat. Turn the artichoke sideways, and use a sharp knife to cut off the top 1/4 or so of the choke. You will be cutting off the tip of many leaves. Tear off the outer couple of leaves around the edge, maybe 4-6 leaves total. Take a sharp kitchen scissors and cut off the tips of the remaining leaves so all the spikes are gone.

That prep time will take a total of three minutes.

Rinse the artichoke in cold water. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Stand the choke in the microwave and nuke on high for 5 minutes. The water left over from when you rinsed the microwave will steam it. Let stand for 5 additional minutes to complete cooking. Unwrap and rinse again; stand upside down to drain as much as possible. I usually squeeze over the sink and wipe with a paper towel. I prefer to eat them at room temp or cold.

Serve with melted butter. (We prefer mayonnaise.) When the leaves get too small to eat, follow the directions on one of the above links to get rid of the "fuzzy" stuff and get to the heart. The heart's the best part.

If you have an aversion to cooking with plastic, disregard all instructions and simmer on the stove instead. ;) I avoid cooking in plastic for the most part; this is an exception.

Don't trim them (waste of time) except perhaps the bottom of the stalk if really long. Then steam in water with a touch of acid (vinegar or lemon) to retain bright color.

They should be done in about 35 minutes. When you can pull a leaf off fairly easily (don't burn yourself) they are done. Don't overcook, an hour is way too long.

Then when cooled pull leaves, scrape off "meat" by pulling leaves between loosely clamped teeth. Some like to dip in mayo, aioli, olive oil/lemon/garlic, or warm clarified butter. Good plain too.

When you get to the "choke" use a spoon to gently get under it and remove. Take care it is all off and clean. Then eat the "heart". Much of the inner stem can be eater too if the fibrous outer portion is removed. The inner stem is often wasted, but it is quite good.

Enjoy!

Bill

This is how I do it too. Make sure you rinse well under running water if the leaves aren't tight, as sometimes there is some grit in there. Drain upside down for a few minutes after steaming.

This is how I do it too. Make sure you rinse well under running water if the leaves aren't tight, as sometimes there is some grit in there. Drain upside down for a few minutes after steaming.

:iagree:

Good adds. Turning them upside down after steaming helps prevent the artichokes from getting soggy.

When selecting artichokes in the market, pick ones that feel "heavy" relative to their size. It is suprising how much variance in weight there can be between to similarly sized artichokes, and the heavier ones are always better (assuming they are fresh).

Bill

Enjoy!

Bill

:iagree:

Sometimes we bang them down hard so the leaves open. We add whole garlic, torn up hard baguette, olive oil, baslamic vinegar, salt and plenty of pepper, and crushed red peppers. Then steam.

I cook them in the microwave, too, except I do it in a large covered bowl. After I rinse and trim the artichokes, I put them base down in the bowl with about a 1/4 cup of water, cover and cook on high for 8 minutes or so, till the leaves pull off easily.

Mmmmm I grew up with artichokes a special treat in the summer. I agree with the other posters who recommended boiling them, but I wanted to add another dip idea that I didn't see on any other posts. We used to dip them in Italian dressing.... really good.

eta: Sorry, I just re-read what I typed... I mean I agree with other posters who recommend STEAMING them. Sorry.

Edited by MeganP

We love them here!

We steam them (about a half an hour or so. Leaves pull off easily when done.) and dip the ends you eat in melted butter!

When you get to the pale and flimsy, teeny leaves in the middle, you pull them off and scrape off the "fuzzy" part of the artichoke, leaving the heart and the stem. We dip the heart in butter and eat that (it's the best part!!) but not the stringy stem.

Really, the artichoke leaves are just spoons for getting the butter into our mouths. :D

Really, the artichoke leaves are just spoons for getting the butter into our mouths. :D

:iagree: Except around here they're a vehicle for the hollandaise.

And I trim them. Time consuming or not, I don't like thorns on my food.