Menu

looking for a product...

So I want something that can help the kids stop getting replacement glasses from the cabinet every time they get something new to drink. I just don't know what...

We have a few old plastic cups, but we mostly use plain glasses from IKEA. Unlike anything else in our kitchen, they all match, so the kids are always looking at them then going, huh, I don't know which was mine, and getting a fresh one. I was thinking about something like a sticky colorforms-esque thing with their names on it. Might that stick to glass and stay, but also be easily removable for washing and so forth? My first thought was something like a wine glass marker (it's usually a little beaded thing that sits at the bottom of the wine glass), but where would you put something like that on a regular glass?

Anyone know of a product or have a simple suggestion?

We use jelly jars and colored rubber bands. Each kid has a different color. Rubber bands go on in the morning when the jars come out of the DW and come off at night before the final load goes on. They stay put and are CHEAP! Best solution I have found, hands down.

I am starting to have the same problem. I haven't done it yet, but I'm thinking of putting different colored rubber bands from my rubber band ball on their cups. Also, if the glasses are not to dark colored, you could write on them with a sharpie. Over time it will wear off in the dishwasher.

Sharpie occurred to me but I don't want to have to ruin perfectly good glasses like that. Plus if there's just a couple of glasses left, then what if they're not the ones with the right name? Then it really gets confusing.

But I hadn't thought of rubber bands. Ooh, good idea. Okay, off to find thick, colorful rubber bands. Hm... I wonder if those stretchy rubber bracelets might work too. Those are nice and noticeable.

Write each of their names on a thick rubberband and slide one on a cup each day. No more not knowing whose cup is whose. btdt :D

We use jelly jars and colored rubber bands. Each kid has a different color. Rubber bands go on in the morning when the jars come out of the DW and come off at night before the final load goes on. They stay put and are CHEAP! Best solution I have found, hands down.

What a great idea! I'm going to have to round up a handful of rubber bands for the days when the cousins come to visit this summer. The same idea will work great for those half-empty soda cans that nobody will claim (so they just go open a new can).

Rubbing alcohol removes sharpie from glass.

Not what you're looking for, but each of my kids has a spill-proof straw cup in a different color. Wash and fill them in the morning ( or at night) and then they are responsible for them the rest of the day. They bring them along when we go places. My oldest is in charge of refilling them for the little ones if they need help.

Save your matching glasses for sitting down at the table for a meal. :001_smile:

Go to Walmart or Target or wherever and buy inexpensive plastic cups/glasses. Either get a different color for each child, or write each child's name on ONE cup using fingernail polish. Children have to use the SAME cups all day long--only the one with his or her own name on it. They're responsible for washing out their cups when they finish and setting them back on the counter near the sink.

One cup per child. It's a good thing.:D

We just stole this idea from a friend. We bought a cheep piece of that colored flexible foam stuff at Hobby Lobby. Then we made drew on it to make boxes with names for each cup to go on. That way nothing permanently marks the cups. When the cup mat gets old we can throw it away and get a new one for 25 cents.