Menu

opinions on abridged books

Just wondering what people's thoughts are.

I have to say that I am decidely opposed to them. I actually refuse to own them and my child who reads independantly knows that he is not allowed to read them and will help me check for them.

(We also have strict book before movie version of book rules.)

Odd thing is, we don't have a lot of rules in our family per say, but this one is a big one. (And understanding the reasoning behind it, my son doesn't try to break the rule.)

Jo

I just feel like a child isn't going to go back and reread the original say, Anne of Green Gables, when he already knows the gist of the story from an abridged version. Also there is so much good literature out there for all ages that there is enough to read until one is ready for the real thing.

That being said, I don't consider retellings of legends to be in the same category as abridged books. I'm currently reading a retelling of the legends of Odysseus to my boys and plan on going through a retelling of the Beowulf saga.

I'm curious if I'm alone in this or not.

I tend to agree with you - in fact I'm a "book above movie" snob, I find. (LOTR almost didn't make it onto my "okay" list because of the liberties taken with Faramir's character.) I also appreciate reading the unabridged version because I know I didn't miss anything and it's easier to get the original author's perspectives rather than what some editor thought he/she wanted to say.

On the other hand, I had an exceptional experience with Jane Eyre. I'd tried to read the book a couple of times and hadn't gotten far because of the dark, gothic feel and all the suspense involved. (I don't do suspense very well!) Then, when I was just wasting time a couple of years ago I watched A&E's version of Jane Eyre. I didn't think it was incredibly marvelous, but it showed me that there were good things in the story. A few months ago I read through the unabridged version in about . . . 24 hours. (Oops went the housework!!) That was one time when I'm really glad I watched the movie before finishing the book.

As for my kids . . . I hadn't thought that far, yet, except to make sure to encourage books before movies.

Mama Anna

We tend to avoid the abridged versions, too. A few months ago we had checked Swiss Family Robinson out of the library for a family read-aloud and had not finished it before it was due. We were unable to renew that copy because someone else had requested it. I didn't think it was a big deal, since I knew the library had several copies, I just checked out a different copy. When I sat down and looked at the book I was shocked that it could even be called the same book it was so different.

I just feel like a child isn't going to go back and reread the original say, Anne of Green Gables, when he already knows the gist of the story from an abridged version. Also there is so much good literature out there for all ages that there is enough to read until one is ready for the real thing.

That being said, I don't consider retellings of legends to be in the same category as abridged books. I'm currently reading a retelling of the legends of Odysseus to my boys and plan on going through a retelling of the Beowulf saga.

This is pretty much our philosophy as well.

I agree! I was a little surprised when reading the Well Trained Mind that she says how great they are. There's plenty of great age-appropriate literature without ruining the books they'll get to eventually! And, really, what's the point? Is there any value at all in knowing the whole story of Treasure Island before you can actually read the real deal? In most books, the author's language is just as important as the main plot... and that's another thing, abridged versions take out the subplots and even entire characters. If the author didn't think they were important, he wouldn't have written them in there in the first place!

I also agree that child-friendly retellings of folk tales don't count as "bad" and I fully support them.

I'm curious if I'm alone in this or not.

I missed this part, and it's pretty much exactly how I feel.

I agree with the other posters. We read age appropriate WHOLE, unabridged books. I see no point in rushing with abridgments when there is so much wonderful children's literature that is appropriate (and unabridged) on any given year.

The exceptions for us are Plutarch, Shakespeare, and Legends/Myths.

: )

Tami

When this same question was posted here just two weeks ago, the majority of the replies were quite different than what am I seeing here today. In case you want to peruse that thread:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23575&highlight=abridged

We read age appropriate WHOLE, unabridged books. I see no point in rushing with abridgments when there is so much wonderful children's literature that is appropriate (and unabridged) on any given year.

The exceptions for us are Plutarch, Shakespeare, and Legends/Myths.

:iagree: This is us as well.

I tend to agree with you - in fact I'm a "book above movie" snob, I find. (LOTR almost didn't make it onto my "okay" list because of the liberties taken with Faramir's character.)

LOTR is NOT on my "okay" list, the liberties taken with Faramir's character being only one of a long list of liberties that are just plain wrong. Oy.

:glare:

If one of my dc had picked up an anthology that included abridged books, I wouldn't have minded that, but when I picked a book to read aloud, or helped one of my dds to pick a book to read on her own, abridged books would not even have been considered.

I think they can be a useful stepping stones from picture story versions to the real thing. Once kids' reading level is of a standard to be able to read the proper version, or when parents are reading aloud, abridged versions are horrible. I don't like movie versions of books either, but do think there are some stories that are better on video than on paper. Charles Dickens comes to mind...

:)

Rosie

I personally have never cared for them. I'd always wonder what I was missing. Of course, I've been sorely tempted to pick up an abridgement of "Les Miserables" - I won't do it though.

I haven't really come to that bridge with Becca yet - for read-alouds, I've picked up some adaptations of a few books, but that is really to get her into listening to a story. I'd like to avoid abridged versions altogether, but things might not work out that way!

Well, my dd6 loves her collection of abridged classics from Usborne, all books that are boosting her independent reading confidence and she loves the characters. While she was reading the abridged version of The Wizard of Oz we read the whole and complete version as a read-aloud as a family. They are much better than some of her other choices and are really boosting her reading level. I believe they will provide her with a good foundation that she will build on when she can read the complete novels later. JMHO

We, so far, haven't read any. My whole life I have never understood the point. I did find that section in TWTM interesting and food for thought. I have never read Moby Dick...and maybe I will start with an abriged copy...but so far, I haven't....I love words..why change them or cut them out altogether...

Oddly, I just finished rereading "the secret Garden" and as I was putting it back on the shelf (today) I saw another copy of it from "Great Illustrated Classics". So, I perused through it and really was dumbfounded. It was a totally different book! It, and all the others, are on their way back to our local swap shop..(which is were I got them..didn't realize at the time they were abrigded).

I am also a book before movie person! However, I do love audio books (unabrigded, of course;))!

I like the Great Illustrated Classics, too. When ds was a beginning reader, he loved being able to read these books on his own. Now that he's older and we read the originals, he's excited to get back to stories that are already somewhat familiar. He has never balked at reading the full edition.

Karen