Menu

Washington State homeschoolers who go through an ALE/PPP program

Anyone else enrolled through a PPP/ALE in Washington? Found out yesterday that the Washington House has passed a bill #2065 that will make certain changes that will pretty much gut the programs: no more reimbursement for parents unless things are done "exactly as they are in the PS", (whatever that means) and requiring an hour of teaching from a certified teacher each week.

We had thought they would cut funding, but this is extreme. The Senate is considering the bill now, so we have a chance to contact our state senators to encourage them to change it.

You can see the bill here: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=2065&year=2011

Our director is trying to figure out how he can best help us (the families) with all the changes. As far as we understand, money is still allocated to the families but purchases need to be made through the ALE/PPP. That's going to leave some people out in the cold as far as preferred music teachers, etc. but ordering materials should still be okay - as long as it's through an approved vendor. So no more shopping for the best deal and getting reimbursed.

My job description is certainly changing. I work in the school office while ds is in classes. My job up to this point has been the processing of purchase reimbursement requests. :tongue_smilie:

Frankly, I don't think there should be reimbursement for materials/experiences that aren't approved by the district. I also think that teachers *should* be interacting with students enough to be able to evaluate their progress.

ALE/PPP is *not* homeschooling. If you want to homeschool, you are legally able to do so.

Frankly, I don't think there should be reimbursement for materials/experiences that aren't approved by the district. I also think that teachers *should* be interacting with students enough to be able to evaluate their progress.

ALE/PPP is *not* homeschooling. If you want to homeschool, you are legally able to do so.

I am somewhat offended by your remarks.

First of all, reimbursement is not given for items that are not approved by the district. For instance, I would not be reimbursed for purchases of a "religious" nature (Apologia, A Reason For...).

Secondly, being a part of an ALE/PPP does not mean I don't homeschool my child. He has the option of taking workshops, but it is not required. I am responsible for his education. I simply choose to use district resources that are made available to me. As a full time enrolled student, yes he is required to do testing (which I am happy to do because this gives me a benchmark and a visual of his progress). If he was not full time the testing would not be required. As a PPP member, yes I am required to submit SLPs and monthly reviews. But, again, I welcome this as a way to make sure we stay on track.

And, btw, I interact with my child plenty to know his progress.

I understand that participating in these programs is not "pure" homeschooling, but please don't tell me I'm not homeschooling my child. The shelves of books and curricula in my house speak otherwise.

First of all, reimbursement is not given for items that are not approved by the district. For instance, I would not be reimbursed for purchases of a "religious" nature (Apologia, A Reason For...).

Secondly, being a part of an ALE/PPP does not mean I don't homeschool my child. I understand that participating in these programs is not "pure" homeschooling, but please don't tell me I'm not homeschooling my child. The shelves of books and curricula in my house speak otherwise.

Really? Not homeschooling? Really? Hahahahahahaha....But seriously, what do you call this thing we do everyday (but one) at home?

Would you also say being a part of a co-op is not homeschooling? For many people, that's what involvement in a PPP amounts to: a co-op type situation (only I don't have to teach other people's kids--I love one on one/hate teaching classes.). I totally understand Eppie's feathers getting fluffed.

ETA: EEEK! It looks like I got beat with the grumpy stick in the middle of the night last night. Sorry!

Edited by Natalieclare

Secondly, being a part of an ALE/PPP does not mean I don't homeschool my child. He has the option of taking workshops, but it is not required. I am responsible for his education. I simply choose to use district resources that are made available to me. As a full time enrolled student, yes he is required to do testing (which I am happy to do because this gives me a benchmark and a visual of his progress). If he was not full time the testing would not be required. As a PPP member, yes I am required to submit SLPs and monthly reviews. But, again, I welcome this as a way to make sure we stay on track.

And, btw, I interact with my child plenty to know his progress.

I understand that participating in these programs is not "pure" homeschooling, but please don't tell me I'm not homeschooling my child. The shelves of books and curricula in my house speak otherwise.

My child is also enrolled full time in an ALE program.

But the fact of the matter is that the word "homeschooling" is a legal term in Washington. If a child is enrolled in an ALE program, he is a public school student and as such the state has an interest in how the money attached to that child's enrollment is spent. The state also has an interest in how that child's progress is evaluated, whether that is by testing or teacher interaction or both.

But the fact of the matter is that the word "homeschooling" is a legal term in Washington. If a child is enrolled in an ALE program, he is a public school student and as such the state has an interest in how the money attached to that child's enrollment is spent. The state also has an interest in how that child's progress is evaluated, whether that is by testing or teacher interaction or both.

Oh, legally. Thanks for clarifying.

We use an ALE here in Western WA, and it has been fantastic -- an excellent resource. We attend about 6 hours per week, complete monthly reports, and, yes, do state testing.

I was pretty sure these types of cuts were coming, and I'm not sure I disagree with them.

If we want public money (and I do), we're going to need to jump through some public hoops.

The ALE I attend is essentially a public alternative school, and I expect to acknowledge and adhere to some public school standards.

It is my understanding that "Home Based Instruction" is different than enrolling in an alternative learning program through the school district. With Home Based Instruction, RCW 28A.200,020 states "...all decisions relating to philosophy or doctrine; selection of books, teaching materials and curriculum; and methods, timing, and place in the provision or evaluation of home-based instruction shall be the responsibility of the parent ..." The ALE program puts restrictions on what kind of books and curriculum you can use. You may be schooling at home (home schooling), but it doesn't fall under "Home Based Instruction".

We have a social group that originally started for those of us using CVA, but those in those in other ALEs such as Meridian are welcome, too. We've been discussing this there.

My family is watching how CVA deals with this closely. We hope they will be able to continue to provide for my son's PE and career education (taekwonod). If they can't, though, we'll have to find someway to pay for it because there is a good chance he'll choose that for a career.

If all we can get through CVA is the curricula I've chosen, we will stick it out simply because I don't have the means to purchase the curricula out of pocket. My kids' education would suffer because they are already above my own education. I don't know if I can find what their curricula covers for free.

It's a really difficult and stressful situation for me.

We use an ALE here in Western WA, and it has been fantastic -- an excellent resource. We attend about 6 hours per week, complete monthly reports, and, yes, do state testing.

I was pretty sure these types of cuts were coming, and I'm not sure I disagree with them.

If we want public money (and I do), we're going to need to jump through some public hoops.

The ALE I attend is essentially a public alternative school, and I expect to acknowledge and adhere to some public school standards.

I would like public money too . . . the taxes my family pays toward my local school district. I never minded paying taxes for local schools when I didn't have children of school age. Now I wish I could opt out of paying taxes while my children are part of "home based education" and not one of the alternative learning programs associated with the school district.

The ALE program puts restrictions on what kind of books and curriculum you can use. You may be schooling at home (home schooling), but it doesn't fall under "Home Based Instruction".

There are some ALE programs that are so flexible that we essentially do what we want. They can purchase any secular curricula or book as long as it can be bought through a vendor that accepts purchase orders. Once something has been requested for the first time, they purchase a second copy for the school board to review and approve for use within that district.

The ALE cannot pay for religious nor non-approved curricula. If we pay for it out of pocket, we can still use it, though. We report on the secular portions of our learning. There is nothing religious about learning the anatomy of birds, for example. We can learn that from a secular book they purchase, but we can also learn that from a religious book that we purchase on our own.

Because of this flexibility, I am free to choose what we learn each year. I simply tell the school, in the form of a student learning plan, what we will be learning. As long as it is reasonable for the grade level, that is to say at or above grade level), they approve my learning plan. Then I order the curricula I've chosen, either by asking them to order from an approved vendor or by paying for it myself. Then I teach the material any way I wish. Weekly, my kids write a few sentences to their "teacher" (who does no teaching whatsoever) and monthly I report on what we've covered. If we are making progress towards the goals I wrote, they are happy to approve what we are doing.

In day-to-day practice, what we do looks no different from what the average homeschooler does. I choose what we learn just like a homeschooler. And I teach everything that we learn just like a homeschooler. So, while LEGALLY, I am not a homeschooler, PRACTICALLY I am.

Edited by joannqn

There are some ALE programs that are so flexible that we essentially do what we want. They can purchase any secular curricula or book as long as it can be bought through a vendor that accepts purchase orders. Once something has been requested for the first time, they purchase a second copy for the school board to review and approve for use within that district.

The ALE cannot pay for religious nor non-approved curricula. If we pay for it out of pocket, we can still use it, though. We report on the secular portions of our learning. There is nothing religious about learning the anatomy of birds, for example. We can learn that from a secular book they purchase, but we can also learn that from a religious book that we purchase on our own.

Because of this flexibility, I am free to choose what we learn each year. I simply tell the school, in the form of a student learning plan, what we will be learning. As long as it is reasonable for the grade level, that is to say at or above grade level), they approve my learning plan. Then I order the curricula I've chosen, either by asking them to order from an approved vendor or by paying for it myself. Then I teach the material any way I wish. Weekly, my kids write a few sentences to their "teacher" (who does no teaching whatsoever) and monthly I report on what we've covered. If we are making progress towards the goals I wrote, they are happy to approve what we are doing.

In day-to-day practice, what we do looks no different from what the average homeschooler does. I choose what we learn just like a homeschooler. And I teach everything that we learn just like a homeschooler. So, while LEGALLY, I am not a homeschooler, PRACTICALLY I am.

What she said! :D Except we don't have to write anything weekly - just have contact (face-to-face, email, phone call). And I'm not sure about the buying of a second copy for school board review. I've never heard of them doing that, but I could be wrong.

Edited by EppieJ

What she said! :D Except we don't have to write anything weekly - just have contact (face-to-face, email, phone call). And I'm not sure about the buying of a second copy for school board review. I've never heard of them doing that, but I could be wrong.

Can I ask which program you are using?

In addition to not doing re-imbursements to parents for CBI's(which is completely understandable), the message we got from CVA today seemed to indicate that we would no longer be able to use the entire allottment for just one thing but would have to be split between art/music/PE/curriculum. We use ours to pay for gymnastics but dd does not want to take any music or art classes and I need very little curriculum.. Did anyone else get that from their CVA/PPP advisory teacher????

I'll jump through a lot of hoops but the return on my time has to be worth it and so far... it's not looking like it's going to be worth it. I will call my legislators tomorrow. I hadn't because I thought it was laready law! Hopefully we can stop some of the nonsense anyway.

Our director is trying to figure out how he can best help us (the families) with all the changes. As far as we understand, money is still allocated to the families but purchases need to be made through the ALE/PPP. That's going to leave some people out in the cold as far as preferred music teachers, etc. but ordering materials should still be okay - as long as it's through an approved vendor. So no more shopping for the best deal and getting reimbursed.

My job description is certainly changing. I work in the school office while ds is in classes. My job up to this point has been the processing of purchase reimbursement requests. :tongue_smilie:

I asked my AT about using most of the funding for one thing and he said it would be on a case by case basis. If a student is doing well in all subjects then they should be able to put the focus on one area....

Today my SLP says they are optimistic but it's still hush hush how it will acutally work out. By all means keep contacting those legislators!!

I am not as panicked as I was at first. I will make some calls today!

I hope the social groups are working soon...I was a lurker there, but I miss all the dialogue!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lilkittyy
It is my understanding that "Home Based Instruction" is different than enrolling in an alternative learning program through the school district. With Home Based Instruction, RCW 28A.200,020 states "...all decisions relating to philosophy or doctrine; selection of books, teaching materials and curriculum; and methods, timing, and place in the provision or evaluation of home-based instruction shall be the responsibility of the parent ..." The ALE program puts restrictions on what kind of books and curriculum you can use. You may be schooling at home (home schooling), but it doesn't fall under "Home Based Instruction".

The ALE program does not restrict what you teach your child, they restrict what they will PAY for to teach your child. Big difference. When you participate in an ALE you are more than welcome to purchase curriculum and teach your child anything you wish, just as you would under your definition of "Home Based Instruction."

Guest lilkittyy
In addition to not doing re-imbursements to parents for CBI's(which is completely understandable), the message we got from CVA today seemed to indicate that we would no longer be able to use the entire allottment for just one thing but would have to be split between art/music/PE/curriculum. We use ours to pay for gymnastics but dd does not want to take any music or art classes and I need very little curriculum.. Did anyone else get that from their CVA/PPP advisory teacher????

I'll jump through a lot of hoops but the return on my time has to be worth it and so far... it's not looking like it's going to be worth it. I will call my legislators tomorrow. I hadn't because I thought it was laready law! Hopefully we can stop some of the nonsense anyway.

That's interesting. Our ALE hasn't told us at all how we have to spend it but we also use most of our money for Gymnastics and my daughter doesn't have interest in other classes at this point.

Sounds like we are in the same boat... With the law passing has CVA sent you anything additional? We haven't been told much, it's frustrating waiting and waiting!