Menu

"My father (Osama BL) hated his enemies more than he loved his sons"

"I nearly lost my life so many times," he said. "People may ask why I left my father. I left because I did not want anyone to choose my destiny. ... And I believe I chose correctly, for I chose life. I chose peace."

Wow! Incredible that he was able to pull out from his father's influence. It is encouraging.

Nice.

Committed to peace but reserving the option to take legal action against the U.S.

A lawsuit is not a form of violence.

Don't forget that he still lost his father. The dust has barely settled on this whole affair and his feelings are likely pretty upside down and backwards right now. It's only reasonable that he wouldn't make any decisions, one way or the other, on this whole thing.

Besides, one can be committed to peace and not have especially kind feelings towards the US. The two are not mutually exclusive.

A lawsuit is not a form of violence.

Don't forget that he still lost his father. The dust has barely settled on this whole affair and his feelings are likely pretty upside down and backwards right now. It's only reasonable that he wouldn't make any decisions, one way or the other, on this whole thing.

Besides, one can be committed to peace and not have especially kind feelings towards the US. The two are not mutually exclusive.

:confused:

I didn't say a lawsuit was a form of violence.

I do believe lawsuits stir up dissension and hostility and that does not generally promote peace. Especially when done on behalf of a man who murdered thousands of Americans (hmm...maybe some survivors can sue his father's estate?)

Indeed, "one can be committed to peace and not have especially kind feelings towards the US." My comment was not referring to the anonymous peace loving, U.S. hating individual but to the man who claimed to distance himself from his father's violence (including violent acts against the U.S.A.) in the name of peace.

Maybe he'd prefer to continue the battle in the courtrooms than follow in his father's footsteps? Same hostility, different venue?

I have not forgotten he just lost his father during a war precipitated by his father's actions wherein thousands of American lives were lost.

On behalf of those dead Americans and their families I am incredulous and outraged that he would consider sueing the U.S.

I may be in the minority on that one, but I'm getting used to it.:D

Don't forget that his father was a murdering bast&rd of the worst sort. A man of integrity would not be spewing cr&p about suing the US for an action that occured during a military operation against someone who attacked this nation.

IF the letter referenced is true the son is....well I will leave it at that.

I'd be shocked if any US judge could proceed over the trial. Or, for that matter, any judge worldwide considering how many countries are effected. Wouldn't that make them all partial to one side, thus resulting in recusing themselves from the case.

I do believe lawsuits stir up dissension and hostility and that does not generally promote peace. Especially when done on behalf of a man who murdered thousands of Americans (hmm...maybe some survivors can sue his father's estate?)

Indeed, "one can be committed to peace and not have especially kind feelings towards the US." My comment was not referring to the anonymous peace loving, U.S. hating individual but to the man who claimed to distance himself from his father's violence (including violent acts against the U.S.A.) in the name of peace.

Maybe he'd prefer to continue the battle in the courtrooms than follow in his father's footsteps? Same hostility, different venue?

I have not forgotten he just lost his father during a war precipitated by his father's actions wherein thousands of American lives were lost.

On behalf of those dead Americans and their families I am incredulous and outraged that he would consider sueing the U.S.

I may be in the minority on that one, but I'm getting used to it.:D

YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!! I stand

Don't forget that his father was a murdering bast&rd of the worst sort. A man of integrity would not be spewing cr&p about suing the US for an action that occured during a military operation against someone who attacked this nation.

IF the letter referenced is true the son is....well I will leave it at that.

I'm not forgetting what OBL was.

I have to admit my response is probably closely related to personal happenings. Without saying too much we're involved in suit related to the wrongful death of a loved one. That time after the death where there are figures you can point to and say, "there's where the blame rests," is a really hard one and I don't think there's a need to judge someone based on that reaction.

But again, my reaction probably said more about my experience then about OBL's son.

I'm going to stand down on this one. As I said to PQR, there are personal issues that are colouring my view of this right now. Not thinking quite straight. Never thought I'd relate to the son of a terrorist but I am I guess. I probably need some distance before I get a reasonable handle on this issue. My apologies. :)

I'm not forgetting what OBL was.

I have to admit my response is probably closely related to personal happenings. Without saying too much we're involved in suit related to the wrongful death of a loved one. That time after the death where there are figures you can point to and say, "there's where the blame rests," is a really hard one and I don't think there's a need to judge someone based on that reaction.

But again, my reaction probably said more about my experience then about OBL's son.

We all are colored by personal events, I trust and hope that whatever happened with you will work out as well as may be desired.

All the best -pqr

Nice.

Committed to peace but reserving the option to take legal action against the U.S.

Seems like a totally consistent position to me. If he is truly committed to peace and not using violence, then he would object to any use of violence, particularly those that are illegal, which he feels (perhaps with good reason) that the killing of his father was.

What do we think he'd do? Stand against violence but applaud the killing of his father? That makes no sense, if he's coming from a position of principled commitment to peace and non-violence.

I'm kind of surprised that anybody would think that taking umbrage at his statement that he'd consider suing the U.S. is in any way a "minority position," though. I honestly can't imagine a more mainstream position among Americans. He has been roundly condemned by the American media and public for that statement, as if it somehow means he hates the U.S. and is in favor of violence. I think I've only seen one or two articles, in liberal/progressive religious publications, mentioning the moral consistency of his position.

Edited by twoforjoy

Seems like a totally consistent position to me. If he is truly committed to peace and not using violence, then he would object to any use of violence, particularly those that are illegal, which he feels (perhaps with good reason) that the killing of his father was.

What do we think he'd do? Stand against violence but applaud the killing of his father? That makes no sense, if he's coming from a position of principled commitment to peace and non-violence.

I'm kind of surprised that anybody would think that taking umbrage at his statement that he'd consider suing the U.S. is in any way a "minority position," though. I honestly can't imagine a more mainstream position among Americans. He has been roundly condemned by the American media and public for that statement, as if it somehow means he hates the U.S. and is in favor of violence. I think I've only seen one or two articles, in liberal/progressive religious publications, mentioning the moral consistency of his position.

I agree. I can't really equate following legal channels within the US legal system- which is how I read it- with violence, at all, and not remotely parallel with the type of violence his father supposedly perpetrated. Its a peaceful and legal way to get something done- its the way our society has set up to get justice without violence, specifically. He may know things the media aren't letting the general public know, and he may just be emotionally upset- who knows. But if suing is wrong, if following legal channels to attemt to get justice however one perceives it is wrong, then its wrong for everyone, not just when we decide it wrong.