Menu

Long division, Singapore 3A-can do it, can't write it

My DD has NO trouble solving division problems up to 1 digit into 4 digits or higher mentally, but even trying to solve the two step ones in 3A by writing them down and going through the steps really seems to upset her-and she ends up making a lot of mistakes-while already having the correct answer.

I think it's partially immature motor skills and having trouble lining things up-I've recopied the problems for her larger and more spread out to help, but I can't figure out why she can look at 3/392 and tell me that's 130 r 2 without seeming to need to think about it, but when she tries to write it out step by step, she'll inevitably get it wrong.

Is there any good way to demonstrate understanding of a written procedure for solving a problem without having to write?

One thing that helped my dc with both division and multiplication was using notebook paper turned sideways. That way the lines run vertically, and you keep the numbers in columns.

Another trick that my writing-averse dc usually do with long division is to skip the subtraction step. The do the subtraction mentally and write down the answer. Then they bring the next number down. Does that make sense?

My DD has NO trouble solving division problems up to 1 digit into 4 digits or higher mentally, but even trying to solve the two step ones in 3A by writing them down and going through the steps really seems to upset her-and she ends up making a lot of mistakes-while already having the correct answer.

I think it's partially immature motor skills and having trouble lining things up-I've recopied the problems for her larger and more spread out to help, but I can't figure out why she can look at 3/392 and tell me that's 130 r 2 without seeming to need to think about it, but when she tries to write it out step by step, she'll inevitably get it wrong.

Is there any good way to demonstrate understanding of a written procedure for solving a problem without having to write?

Squared paper.

I had DD the Elder tell me what to write and why until she was tired of talking and was confident/sufficiently annoyed to do it herself.

My advise pertains to the actual writing. We've had success with either large graph paper or turning lined paper sideways and writing the numbers between the lines. This helps to keep columns straight. My oldest still uses this method with the lined paper sometimes when the algebraic equations get to be too much.

HTH

I made a decision when ds was 4 that I couldn't let his mind slow down to the age of his body, especially with math. I wrote most of Saxon (lots of writing!) or we did it orally.

I realize that doesn't answer your question, but if I were you I might do the writing for now and have her try again in a few months. Or you could have dd write out the problem, but not the solution. Have her learn that of writing the problem and answer part step by step.

Good luck!

I made a decision when ds was 4 that I couldn't let his mind slow down to the age of his body, especially with math. I wrote most of Saxon (lots of writing!) or we did it orally.

I realize that doesn't answer your question, but if I were you I might do the writing for now and have her try again in a few months. Or you could have dd write out the problem, but not the solution. Have her learn that of writing the problem and answer part step by step.

Good luck!

:iagree:

Sounds like the sequencing is giving her trouble. When ds first learned long division, I used base-10 blocks on the paper instead of numbers (placed the blocks on the page) to help him get the sequence of the steps. He just needed a LOT of repetition to be able to remember where he was to write which number without getting lost.

I agree with the notebook paper and the columns. As a parent with a son who hates to write out the problem I understand. But being able to show your work is important, as the problems become more complex in Singapore. An idea is to maybe have him show the work on the first few and if all are correct, let him write the answers. Or if he makes a mistake, he has to write out the rest of the problems.

You may also try using a mechanical pencil (easier on the hand and brain since pencil lead is not changing feel so frequently) or working on a small whiteboard/chalkboard. The other thing is really work on handwriting and muscle strengthening though art. Just my 2 cents.