Menu

List of all science curricula

I'm thinking about changing our science plans and it would be very useful to have a list of all science curriculua. Is there already one out there? If not, can you help me make one? I'm not fussy about what is a curriculum and what isn't; if you think something belongs on the list, put it on! Also, it would be helpful to write the name of the curriculum and not use abbreviations.

I'll start:

K-8 Science

YE = Young Earth, S = Secular, N = Neutral

A Reason for Science (YE)

Abeka Science (YE)

Aha! Science

Alpha Omega Science (YE)

Ambelside Online

Beautiful Feet History of Science

BJU Press Science (YE)

Calvert

Christian Cottage Unit Studies (YE)

Christian Kids Explore Science (YE)

Christian Light Education Science (YE)

Classic Science

CPO Science (S)

Delta Science

Discovery Education Science (S)

Earlybird Science (S)

Elemental Science

Exploration Education

Exploring Creation with ____ (Apologia) (YE)

Exploring God's Creation (YE)

Fascinating Education

GEMS

Glencoe (S)

God's Creation Series (YE)

God's Design for Science (YE)

Great Science Adventures

Handbook of Nature Study

Holt Science (S)

Houghton Mifflin Science (S)

Intellego Unit Studies (S)

Junior Science (S)

K12 Science (S)

Lyrical Life Science

Middle School Chemistry (S)

McRuffy Science

MSNucleus

My Pals are Here (S)

Nancy Larson Science

Noeo (N)

Oak Meadow Science

Plato Science (S)

Prentice Hall Science Explorer (S)

Rainbow Science (YE)

Real Science 4 Kids (N)

R.E.A.L Science Odyssey (S)

Rod & Staff Science (YE)

Science Excursion

Science for Young Catholics

Science Shepherd

Scott Foresman Science

Signs & Seasons

Sonlight Science

So You Really Want to Learn Science (S)

Spectrum Science (S)

Supercharged Science

The Elements: Ingredients of the Universe

The Story of Science (S)

The World of ____

TOPS Science

Truth in Science (YE)

Winterpromise Science (YE)

Wonders of Creation (YE)

Edited by Aquinas Academy

Middle School Chemistry (American Chemical Society) http://www.middleschoolchemistry.com/ free

K12, Calvert, Oak Meadow, etc all offer science.

Other textbook publishers: Glencoe/MacMillan/McGraw Hill, Holt McDougal Littell, Scott Foresman, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

MSNucleus http://www.msnucleus.org/curriculum/curriculum.html free

AFAIK, all of the above are secular.

Classic Science http://www.eequalsmcq.com/ Don't know if it's secular?

The following are all available on Homeschool Buyer's Co-op:

secular:

Discovery Science

Plato Science

Thinkwell science

Intellego Unit Studies

Don't know:

Fascinating Chemistry

Fascinating Biology

Thank you Karen!

I have edited the list to include YE, secular, and neutral designations. I have only marked the ones that I think I know. I could be completely wrong on these, so please correct me! If you know whether other curricula on the list are YE, secular, or neutral, please let me know. And if you know of any more curricula to add, post away! :)

Thank you Karen!

I have edited the list to include YE, secular, and neutral designations. I have only marked the ones that I think I know. I could be completely wrong on these, so please correct me! If you know whether other curricula on the list are YE, secular, or neutral, please let me know. And if you know of any more curricula to add, post away! :)

You are awesome! Thank you!

:hurray:

Thanks for introducing this thread, Janette!

It brought up options I hadn't even heard of before, although it is a bit overwhelming since I am in the curriculum planning/eval stage (more options! :eek:).

If it helps anyone, I put all this data into a Google Spreadsheet, but with one slight modification - for Christian/secular I put Creationist/Evolution/Neutral to allow for more combinations together with YE/OE. I put a little comment on the column (mouseover the column header to see what I meant).

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AhUJB5nahkOtdHhWTFRyS3ZrRjhPZkh3VV93Q0tvdFE&hl=en&authkey=CI28ruwN

The spreadsheet is currently viewable but not editable - I'm thinking about how to handle this, since I'm not online that much to do edits, but I don't want it open to the wild internet. Perhaps anyone who wants to edit it can PM me?

Thanks for introducing this thread, Janette!

It brought up options I hadn't even heard of before, although it is a bit overwhelming since I am in the curriculum planning/eval stage (more options! :eek:).

If it helps anyone, I put all this data into a Google Spreadsheet, but with one slight modification - for Christian/secular I put Creationist/Evolution/Neutral to allow for more combinations together with YE/OE. I put a little comment on the column (mouseover the column header to see what I meant).

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AhUJB5nahkOtdHhWTFRyS3ZrRjhPZkh3VV93Q0tvdFE&hl=en&authkey=CI28ruwN

The spreadsheet is currently viewable but not editable - I'm thinking about how to handle this, since I'm not online that much to do edits, but I don't want it open to the wild internet. Perhaps anyone who wants to edit it can PM me?

Leeyeewah, that is so great! Thank you for organising it! I will PM you about adding age/grade levels.

CPO Science for jr high and High school- secular

Oh yay! I wanted a course like this and couldn't find one to add to my 12 year plan. :tongue_smilie: I am so glad you mentioned these.

http://www.cposcience.com/home/CPOProducts/TeachingLearningSystemsTLS/PhysicalEarthandSpace/tabid/304/Default.aspx

Physical, Earth, and Space Science provides an integrated approach to inquiry based, hands-on science programs for high school Physical Science classes. Earth and space science concepts are integrated with physics and chemistry concepts.:hurray:

Since the original list had Christian/Secular, I put all secular options as being evolution-pov.

I don't think that secular automatically means an evolution point of view, but rather that it has no religious affiliation/materials at all. I think suggesting the secular options are evolution pov might imply that it actually touches on the subject in the first place, which won't be the case for most programs. And great spreadsheet, btw! :)

Hi Melanie, thanks for the feedback!

I had some doubts about how to classify them myself since I don't have the materials in hand, and I didn't want to lose Janette's original information (which materials were classified secular).

I'll go through and put ? for all those I marked, since I really don't know. :) And if it doesn't touch on the subject at all, I'll introduce a NA tag.

Edited by leeyeewah

Wow! What a list! I didn't see BFSU

So that's what BFSU stands for. I always thought it was Beautiful Feet. :tongue_smilie:

Hi Melanie, thanks for the feedback!

I had some doubts about how to classify them myself since I don't have the materials in hand, and I didn't want to lose Janette's original information (which materials were classified secular).

I'll go through and put ? for all those I marked, since I really don't know. :) And if it doesn't touch on the subject at all, I'll introduce a NA tag.

It is so hard to know how to classify everything. For instance, RSO is secular, but there is no mention of evolution in Level 1. Feel free to change my classicfications; I'm sure some of them are incorrect. I've only used two or three curricula from that long list. :)

I've seen all of these listed for science supplements on the K-8 board and don't see them on your list:

Core Knowledge Sequence

Harcourt (traditional textbook/workbook)

Evan Moor (various material to supplement with)

*All of these are secular/neutral sources.

Thanks drexel, just updated the worksheet. However I couldn't find a link for Harcourt - web search results seem to imply it is affiliated with Houghton Mifflin which is on the list.

I just did a Google run and updated the list with links. If anyone owns a listed curriculum, and wants to take a shot at categorizing its stand on YE/OE and Creation/Evolution (even if just to say it is not applicable/not covered), I'll be happy to hear from you.. please PM me! :)

Edited by leeyeewah
Updated spreadsheet for links

Science Fusion (soon to be available through Saxon Homeschool), k-8, secular

Science Fusion is another Houghton Mifflin product. I was checking it out in the HM site a few days ago. It is a K-5 program from what I see. There are a few samples/ demos in their site for it also. I am getting Houghton Mifflin Harcourt for my son for next school year but will be keeping an eye on Science Fusion. Hopefully they will offer a homeschool edition like Harcourt.

Edited by Guest

Science Fusion is another Houghton Mifflin product. I was checking it out in the HM site a few days ago. It is a K-5 program from what I see. There are a few samples/ demos in their site for it also. I am getting Houghton Mifflin Harcourt for my son for next school year but will be keeping an eye on Science Fusion. Hopefully they will offer a homeschool edition like Harcourt.

Hmmm... interesting! I just found a Florida Science Fusion which also offers 6-8 grade packages, besides the K-5.