Menu

xpost: Does anyone else think the drawings in SYRWTLS are trashy?

Is it just me? I was looking thru sample chapters of levels 1 and 2 and while I don't know what the words on the pages say, the drawings just look trashy to me.:001_huh:

I was getting ready to order, but now I just don't know. I don't want it if the whole book if filled with busty women in skimpy clothes with guys licking their lips at them.

What say the hive?

We're going to use Galore Park's SYRWTL Junior English this year, and while I love the content, I strongly dislike the illustrations. There's nothing "trashy" about them, but there's just a consistent goofiness that I don't find appropriate for textbooks. Maybe it's a cultural thing? I'm used to American texts with inferior content but illustrated with dignity. We'll keep our low test scores if we can take ourselves seriously! :D

We're going to use Galore Park's SYRWTL Junior English this year, and while I love the content, I strongly dislike the illustrations. There's nothing "trashy" about them, but there's just a consistent goofiness that I don't find appropriate for textbooks. Maybe it's a cultural thing? I'm used to American texts with inferior content but illustrated with dignity. We'll keep our low test scores if we can take ourselves seriously! :D

:lol: That is so funny!~

So You Really Want To Learn Spanish from Galore Park.

I thought it was So You Really Want To Learn Science from Galore Park, because I remember one odd illustration in the sample for the Level One science text of a (very) black girl with a huge Afro, big red lips, big hoop earrings, pink bell bottoms, and huge pink platform shoes. She looks like she's escaped from a 1970s era "Blaxpotation" film.

And I dunno if this image is just a matter of "diversity" or if it is veering into the territory of stereotyped racial lampoon, but I lean toward the latter.

Bill

I thought it was So You Really Want To Learn Science from Galore Park, because I remember one odd illustration in the sample for the Level One science text of a (very) black girl with a huge Afro, big red lips, big hoop earrings, pink bell bottoms, and huge pink platform shoes. She looks like she's escaped from a 1970s era "Blaxpotation" film.

And I dunno if this image is just a matter of "diversity" or if it is veering into the territory of stereotyped racial lampoon, but I lean toward the latter.

Bill

Not on topic, but I was just having a conversation with someone last week about how so many people we know actually fit the sterotypes so fully in how they look, dress and speak, yet get so mad when someone refers to them stereotypically. Another conversation altogether, I'm sure, just remembered it from your post.

I agree! The "illustrations" look suspiciously like the crude clipart from the early 1990s - the ones that came bundled with your Microsoft. Anyone remember those?

I gotta have pretty pictures!!

:tongue_smilie:

Bill

Nah, it was just a nod to Scary Spice.

spice_girls.jpg

Not saying that's a good thing.

Bill

!!!! I never saw this, so I went to look this up, and this ain't a Spice Girl. I'm with Bill on this one.

I thought the same thing about Latin Prep (also Galore Park). -The pictures were a little too immodest/suggestive for me (especially since my 12 year old son was going to be using it)! - I ended up selling it before he even saw it. -Looking back, maybe that was a mistake- Latin might have been his favorite subject! :glare:

I am no prude but I did comment elsewhere when I saw the illustrations in Galore Park that they'd never be used in the US.

I don't think Id avoid GP bc of them but they are eyebrow raising.

IIRC one of the Latin ones had a guy with a (beer?) bottle in hand chatting up a skimpily dressed girl.