Menu

Shampoo that is good for you, but not as expensive?

I want a shampoo and conditioner that is not filled with crap! However, it can get expensive. What brand do you like?

I have bought some Organics too, but they seem to have alot of stuff in too. I don't know what is good and what isn't when it comes to shampoo.

My sister-in-law is a cosmetologist. She recommends the Suave Professionals line. They are priced incredibly low at Walmart, and work just as well as the expensive salon brands.

I love our Suave Professionals Almond & Shea butter shampoo.

I don't know how much "stuff" is in it, but I do like the results! And the price! :D

I want a shampoo and conditioner that is not filled with crap! However, it can get expensive. What brand do you like?

I switched to shampoo bars about 4 years ago (I think?). There are quite a few kinds available, but I buy mine from:

http://chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/

She uses all natural ingredients and no artificial fragrances. I have dry hair and have always had to use a good amount of conditioner when I used regular shampoo, but I can use the shampoo bar alone and my hair isn't tangly or full of static. The bars may seem a little pricey, but I cut them in fourths and they last quite awhile.

Dh started using the soap for his face, and after a year or two, decided he wanted to use the shampoo bars, too.

One of my daughters has allergic reactions to a lot of fragrances and other ingredients in typical shampoos, so she has to use something labeled "all natural," though not necessarily "organic." She swims 10 times a week, so she shampoos her hair a lot, and her favorites are from Trader Joe's (some kind of minty shampoo--they only have a couple of brands, so it shouldn't be hard to find if you have a TJ's) and the store brand from Whole Foods. She has definite likes and dislikes among the different WF "flavors" that are available, but I can never remember which one she likes the best. She uses the matching conditioner, and her hair stays glossy black (she is Chinese) and healthy despite spending half its life in chlorine, so they must be working.

Neither of these brands has ever caused her problems, and they smell nice, which is very important to her 11-year old self.

Terri

I switched to shampoo bars about 4 years ago (I think?). There are quite a few kinds available, but I buy mine from:

http://chagrinvalleysoapandcraft.com/

She uses all natural ingredients and no artificial fragrances. I have dry hair and have always had to use a good amount of conditioner when I used regular shampoo, but I can use the shampoo bar alone and my hair isn't tangly or full of static. The bars may seem a little pricey, but I cut them in fourths and they last quite awhile.

Dh started using the soap for his face, and after a year or two, decided he wanted to use the shampoo bars, too.

I've always wanted to try these but I get overwhelmed by the choices!! What have been your favorites?

I personally like the Tea Tree Triple Treat organic shampoo and conditioner by Giovanni. I get it at the grocery store for about $6 a bottle.

Here are the ingerdients: Ingredients: Aqua (purified water), Tea Tree (melaleuca alternifolia) Oil, Peppermint (Mentha Peperita) Oil, Eucalyptus (eucalyptus Officinalis) Oil, Rosemary (Rosemarinus Officinalis) Extract, Nettle (Urtica Dioica) oil, Thyme (Thymus Vulgaris) Oil, Birch Leaf (butela alba) oil, Chamomila (anthemis nobilus flower), Clary (salvia sclarea), Lavender (Lavandula Angustifolia), Coltsfoot leaf (tussilago fargara), Yarrow (Achillea Millefolium) oil, Mallow (Malya Sylvestris), Horsetail (Equisetum arvense) oil, Soybean Protein (Glycine Soja), C12 - 14 olefin Sulfonate (coconut derived), Cocamidoproply Betains, Tocopherol (*Vitamin E), Trace Minerals, Citirc Acid (corn), Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate, Sodium Chloride Sea Salt, Grapefruit Seed (citrus derived)

We just switched to California Baby. They have several different kinds of shampoo avaiable and I love it. I don't know your expensive price cap,it is a more expensive shampoo in my opinion but it is exactly what I was looking for. I don't think I'll buy it in large quantities like they offer at there website but I am impressed by it and can shell out the 10.00 at Target for it as needed.

http://www.californiababy.com/

I have bought some Organics too, but they seem to have alot of stuff in too. I don't know what is good and what isn't when it comes to shampoo.

I've been using a shampoo made of Dr. Bronner's liquid castile soap mixed 1/1 with water, or sometimes, I use strong chamomile tea in place of the water. My hair is super soft and very, very clean. I buy the 32 oz bottle in Fred Meyer's health food section and usually I pay $ 14.00 for it, though they 20% off it often. Since I mix it half with water my 100% organic and 100% natural shampoo cost around $2.00 an 18 oz bottle. This shampoo does lather up nicely but is very watery, so I put it in a spray bottle. I also like to add a teaspoon of olive oil ( I'd do coconut oil if I could afford it) to the bottle as well.

Along with this, I like Nature's Gate Herbal Daily Conditioner. This stuff has the best smell of any hair product I've ever used, and I love how it works too.

BTW: Fred Meyer's is Krogers in other parts of the country and Dr. Bronners is, of course, available all over and on the internet as well. The Almond is very pleasant, but I usually use the plain version.

Edited by JustGin

In the winter I use plain old Suave conditioner, not shampoo, just rub in a lot of the conditioner and rinse out. It works great and I have short prone-to-oily hair.

In the summer or when I want to use a shampoo I use a small amount of Seventh Generation dish soap. Works perfectly-very cheap!

I also like the shampoos/conditioners from Trader Joe's. They are natural so I don't feel like I am pouring chemicals on me and they are relatively inexpensive (ie $2.99 or 3.99 a bottle). They have a tea tree oil one (it's tingly!) that is my favorite :)

Umm .... isn't that the recipe for bottle rocket fuel???? :001_huh:

Mix the baking soda with water (I do it until it's a similar consistency to glue), rub into scalp. Rinse. Mix the vinegar w/water, pour over hair. Rinse again.

It's a common combo regarding "no 'poo" (no shampoo). It strips the hair of all the grossness of all of the chemicals found in regular shampoo and helps restore the hair shafts. I love how my hair looks and feels afterward. I just don't always have the time to do it.

I've always wanted to try these but I get overwhelmed by the choices!! What have been your favorites?

The sample sizes are great to get to be able to try a variety. Some of the ones I like best are Nettle, Rosemary Mint and Herb Garden. Dh uses Cafe Moreno. I don't think I've tried any of them that I didn't like - I generally have a couple in the shower at the same time and alternate.

Am I missing something about Suave? A number of posters have mentioned it but I thought for sure it has sulfates/sulfites. Did they change the formula recently?

I like TJ's shampoos okay, but Target just started carrying Nature's Gate which I love. I hadn't found anywhere that carried it since I moved 4.5 years ago, so when I saw it on the shelf at Target I freaked out.