Menu

We are moving to Middle Tennessee--Portland, Dickson, Columbia?!

Since we are not familiar with the area, it all looks good to us! We like a home in Portland and we like Dickson. The southern part near Columbia seems to have good homes for a good price. AAUUGGHH!

I understand Lebanon has limestone and is hard to grow things in.

Does anyone have suggestions or warnings about where to move in Middle TN? My thoughts are all over the board. I have not even started in on the homeschooling and church opportunities........sigh.......it is overwheling (in a good way:D).

Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

If you have thoughts like, "______________ looks like a great place, but I would NEVER live there" Please let me in on it! Also, thoughts like, "I wish I would could move to _______________beacause of the ____________opportunities" would be appreciated.

Give me clarity please! Thank you Tennesseans. (I am not sure I spelled that right)

Well, I know this isn't very close to Dickson or Columbia, but have you seen Bell Buckle? It's about an hour southeast of Nashville on I-24.

I have several friends who live there. It's a very lovely town with friendly people and has a college prep 6-12 grade boarding school which means you have more culture and intellectually stimulating events going on than your typical town of that size. Anyway, If I had to live in middle TN, I would either live in Nashville, Franklin, or Bell Buckle.

Margaret

What kind of church are you looking for? (traditional, contemporary, large, small, denominational preference) My dh is a pastor and we lived in the Nashville are and still have quite a few connections there.

Also there is another mom on the board that lives in that area, hopefully she will chime in.

Things like commuting, homeschool opportunities and church preferences might make a big difference in what community would work best. Maybe hearing a little more of your story would help us help you. :)

We live in Williamson County and love it. There are towns, lots of countryside and farms and not too far from Nashville for my commute. Have you looked at the Nolensville area or Fairview? I really think it all depends on what you are looking for besides a house.

Do you have any commuting issues? Would you like to live in an old or new neighborhood or have some acreage?

We live between Columbia and Nashville and it's beautiful here. The closer you get to Franklin, the more expensive things get :tongue_smilie:. The Dickson area is also beautiful and less expensive, but also more isolated. Fairview is kind of a happy medium between Dickson and Franklin. I'm really not familiar with the Lebanon area.

There is a pretty good sized homeschooling community all over - many churches and activities (sports/arts/etc) have homeschool groups/co-ops/tutorials.

Would you consider renting for a year maybe? At least until you get a feel for the area, find a church, and get to talk to folks a little more.

FWIW, dh and I grew up on different sides of the country, but neither of us can imagine living anywhere else. It's a great place to be.

We are in Nashville and I don't know that much about the smaller communities around us, but we love middle TN!

Loads of homeschoolers and homeschooling resources - coops, enrichment, library, arts, history etc. Churches galore. What sort are you looking for?

Can you visit the areas you are thinking of before making a firm commitment to buy there? Commute/traffic might affect your choice, for sure.

Welcome to the neighborhood! :D

Thank you all SO much for your input. It really does help.

OK, we are a conservative Christian family with 4 kids (2 birth that are 14 and 12 and 2 adopted that are 6 and 3). I am however, not the skirt only kind of gal. I have nothing at all against that, it just is not who I am and I refuse to fake it! OK there I said it.

We are pretty much, ok, complete homebodies. My husband is self employed and does not have to commute.

I would love to connect with co-ops. Something with a mom's night out kind of thing and activities to get friends going for all of us would be great!

As far as churches are concerned, we would love to find a family integrated church. We belong to one now and love it though I think it is unusual in that we have hymns and contemporary music and it is on the casual side and very relational. I will miss my church. I pray I can find something that is very relational there too. It seems that the family integrated churches there are more traditional as far as I can tell, but I am sure they are wonderful. I figure things will be different but we will find where we belong in a new kind of church. I am thinking a Calvary might be a good place to start if I can't find a family integrated one.

We live on 80 acres currently and want property again. I know we will not be able to afford that much! Property is much more expensive there what with the population being so much larger and the state being smaller. We want to be as self sufficient as we can with a big garden (swoon!) and chickens and some cows and all that. We need to buy a house for $200K or less (we don't want a mortgage) so that definately limits us but I have found some wonderful homes for that kind of price on some beautiful land.

I really hope I don't step on anyone's toes with this description of me, I am just being as honest and straightforward as I can! I hope that helps anyone who needed more information to help me.

Thanks you all!

Stacey

I grew up in Portland. Homeschooling was unheard of then in that area, so I have no idea how it is there now. When I was growing up it wasn't the best place...you were either a have or a have not...no in betweens. However, it has grown A LOT since I was a kid. If you lived out in the country (which there is a lot of) then it's not bad. Look at the Robertson County area, around Orlinda. I attended East Robertson School in 8th and 9th grade, and the community there was MUCH better than Portland. There are a ton of small churches in the area, but you may find you have a hard time fitting in if you weren't born there. If you want to try a Baptist church, I have family that could help you out in the fitting in part. :D

My parents are retiring in Dickson. My mother LOVES it. They moved permanently from West TX on Easter Sunday, but she was there by herself from June of last year until Christmas. My mom loves Dickson because she says the people are so nice:-) They live on about 10 acres of land and they are pretty much homebodies too. I don't know much about the area either, but there is a huge farm right across the street from them--not too many neighbors!--so I think the soil must be pretty decent. My dad is going to grow hay to sell and is planning to have a giant garden like we did when I was growing up in CT. Can't help you with library questions or anything, because I haven't even seen the library yet, but there is a bowling alley that has a special for homeschoolers during school hours which we have taken advantage of.

Jennifer