Menu

Ds read his FIRST word yesterday!!!!!

I wanted to share this HUGE milestone with you (especially dear Ottakee who has been so encouraging and helpful!)

I have to be honest and say that while I've tooled around on the 3R's website, I haven't done much with it yet....but that's all about to change!

We have been working tirelessly on letters and their sounds with ds7. Some days he knows some and other days it's like we're speaking a foreign language :confused:

I have a language arts Spectrum (with Mercer Mayer characters) workbook that Boo's been working through. There is a page with some sight words. I pointed to "Cat" and asked him if he knew by chance what that word was.....he looked at it and said "Cat" ....at that moment, the clouds parted, the sky opened up and angels began singing ALLELUIA!!!!!!! He just knew it....no sounding it out, no hesitation....I told him "Boo, you just read your FIRST word" ....He puffed up with pride and I had to fight back the tears because honestly, it was a huge huge HUGE breakthrough for him.

Anyway, I'm thinking that whole language is the way to go with him (go ahead and give me a big helping of "I told you so", Ottakee ;) I deserve it!)

Thanks for letting me share ....I figured the mamas on here would appreciate the blood sweat and tears that go into getting our kiddos to do one seemingly simple to most but grueling to them task. Where's the dancing carrot when you need him? :lol:

That is wonderful. It is so exciting to see things start to click for these kids.

Just a note though---the 3rsplus and I See Sam stuff is NOT whole word reading---it is structured phonics but taught a bit differently than what we are used to seeing. I think it would be a great thing to start to work with on him.