Menu

Is your child with LDs right-handed or left-handed?

Is your child with LDs right-handed or left-handed?  

1. 1. Is your child with LDs right-handed or left-handed?

• Left-handed
    • Right-handed
    • Ambidextrous
    • he/she hasn't chosen a hand for writing yet
    • other

This is just for fun (much better than cleaning up the family room right now). Two of my three oldest are lefties (all three have had varying degrees of issues, generally more toward the mild, but the two lefties have had more than the righty).

trying to make a poll....

:)

ETA: for purposes of this poll, let's use the hand they write with, since many lefties do some other things with their right hands

Edited by wapiti

My AS son was pretty ambidextrous to begin with (or perhaps I should say ambi-clumsy, because he was very resistant to, and poor at, writing with either hand), but we pushed him towards right handedness.

First NT dd is strongly lefthanded. Second dd (probably NT) strongly righthanded.

I studied psychobiology in college, and my neuroscience prof said that dyslexics are disproportionately left-handed. He believes that both the dyslexia and the left-handedness have the same root cause- an atypical wiring of the brain in utero.

My DH was originally a lefty but his mother made him be a righty. The speech & language delay also runs in his side of the family.

Both of my sons have special needs (autism, ADHD, anxiety...). They use both right and left hands for different tasks, but they are not considered ambidextrous since they really don't demonstrate strong skills with either hand. Our O.T. said that they have mixed dominance.

same with my boys. Weird ds2 plays baseball lefty but writes righty. Oldest would switch hands half way across the page when he first began writing. He has messy handwriting and I noticed on an outline the other day that it was worse than usual and he informed me that bc he was eating a hot pocket with his left hand he had written his outline with his right.:glare:

Mine are all right handed, but my father, who is dyslexic and ADD, is ambidextrous. Why? Because he was born a lefty and was not allowed to write with his left hand as a child.;)

My dh is right-handed but shoots left-handed. He can't close his one eye independently, so he has to shoot the other way.

Mine are all right handed, but my father, who is dyslexic and ADD, is ambidextrous. Why? Because he was born a lefty and was not allowed to write with his left hand as a child.;)

This happened to my great uncle as well. He was born around 1920 though... The teachers would tie his left hand behind his back when he was required to complete any written work. He did all of his handwriting with his right hand and did everything else with his left.

I studied psychobiology in college, and my neuroscience prof said that dyslexics are disproportionately left-handed. He believes that both the dyslexia and the left-handedness have the same root cause- an atypical wiring of the brain in utero.

My DH was originally a lefty but his mother made him be a righty. The speech & language delay also runs in his side of the family.

My father was made to switch too but my mom would not so my family was composed of all lefties because so were me and my sister. My spouse is a righty and so are both girls. My son shows more interest in using his right hand to eat and play but he is trying to learn how to kick and he only does that with his left leg. I guess a 13mo learning to front kick is a side effect of taking him to TKD with me. He also likes to ride in the Ergo, on my back, while I practice my forms.

same with my boys. Weird ds2 plays baseball lefty but writes righty. Oldest would switch hands half way across the page when he first began writing. He has messy handwriting and I noticed on an outline the other day that it was worse than usual and he informed me that bc he was eating a hot pocket with his left hand he had written his outline with his right.:glare:

Sounds like ds9. He switched back and forth so much that last year I finally just insisted that all his writing be done with his right hand. I thought it might help his poor penmanship. It didn't. Now, we're pretty sure he's dysgraphic. After a year, his left handed writing is still pretty indistinguishable from his right. He can also eat with either hand. Interestingly, his OT says he's right-eye dominant. So technically, he's not ambidextrous. :confused: Maybe it's just poor fine motor-skills?

Geo

Edited by Geo

My DD is right-handed for the most part. It took her until she was 6 to make that decision.

I did choose other though because although she writes and colors with her right hand, she uses her left for a lot of other things. Throwing, catching, sign language, etc... I wouldn't call her ambidextrous though since she uses her right hand for all of her school work and really doesn't like to write left-handed.