Menu

singapore math question

If you were only using one, I recommend using the textbook over the workbook. The textbook has the "teaching" in it and the problem sets tend to be more difficult than the workbook.

:iagree:

My DS is using MEP as his "spine" but really seemed interested in his big sister's Singapore books, so I got a set of the 1A and 1B textbooks to use as a supplement for him. I don't plan on switching his spine at this point because he does well with the "spiral" format of MEP.

The textbook is in full color if you get the Standards edition, but the workbook is B&W.

We barely use our textbook. There honestly aren't too many problems in there. I teach him from the HIG and he does the corresponding workbook pages. I give him additional mental math pages to work on from the back of the HIG. We really only use the textbook to do a few word problems together before he does the workbook.

We barely use our textbook. There honestly aren't too many problems in there. I teach him from the HIG and he does the corresponding workbook pages. I give him additional mental math pages to work on from the back of the HIG. We really only use the textbook to do a few word problems together before he does the workbook.

Thanks. This is very helpful.

I think we're going to give Singapore a try next term too... I ordered Singapore 1b and 3b textbooks for summer review... When 1b arrived, I was surprised how few problems were in the textbook. So I ordered the workbooks for 1b and 3b. Now 3b textbook has arrived and there are really plenty of problems in each lesson.

So it might be that the further along you go in the series, the more problems appear in the textbook?

Thanks. This is very helpful.

Sherry, if you are just using it as a supplement, I would go for the workbooks and HIG. The textbook is to help them get a better understanding of what is covered so that they can complete the workbook activities. I would also suggest taking a look at the IP (Intensive Practice) books. Those only come in the Primary US edition but well worth looking at. They stretch the child's thinking.

We buy the HIG, Text, WB, IP and CWP but what can I say, Singapore is just my kinda math :).

I would not advise going without the Textbooks. These are where the teaching/learning of new concepts is introduced. The Workbooks are for "practicing" the lessons that are taught using the Textbook.

Reducing Singapore math to just "workbook" exercises entirely misses the point of using this program in the first place, unless an highly experienced teacher is incorporating the teaching of the concepts in other ways. Otherwise, it's a bad idea.

Bill

Like the Home Instructor Guide? ;)

Maybe, maybe not. The HIG is designed to augment the Textbook, not to replace it. Let's say *I* as a parent-teacher would not not be comfortable dispensing with the Textbook. No way.

Bill

I would not advise going without the Textbooks. These are where the teaching/learning of new concepts is introduced. The Workbooks are for "practicing" the lessons that are taught using the Textbook.

Reducing Singapore math to just "workbook" exercises entirely misses the point of using this program in the first place, unless an highly experienced teacher is incorporating the teaching of the concepts in other ways. Otherwise, it's a bad idea.

Bill

I see you point but she is interested in using it as a supplement to MathUSee. This was why I said what I did.

Whenever I present the textbook to ds (the lesson part) after I instruct from the HIG, he starts rolling his eyes. It's overkill for us right now, although we are only in 2B. I think he also dislikes the cutesy, colorful pictures. I will continue to get them though, because I like to do the word problems together.

The way I understand the program... You are meant to teach the lesson from the HIG using manipulatives to give a concrete example. (i.e. 1 barbie plus 1 barbie equals 2 barbies). Then, you use the textbook to show a pictorial representation of the same concept. Finally, you use the workbook, so the child can apply the knowledge to solving a problem in their head. The three pieces are meant to be a progression of learning.

Maybe some kids who are already visual learners wouldn't really need the practice in the textbook??

Taryn

The way I understand the program... You are meant to teach the lesson from the HIG using manipulatives to give a concrete example. (i.e. 1 barbie plus 1 barbie equals 2 barbies). Then, you use the textbook to show a pictorial representation of the same concept. Finally, you use the workbook, so the child can apply the knowledge to solving a problem in their head. The three pieces are meant to be a progression of learning.

Maybe some kids who are already visual learners wouldn't really need the practice in the textbook??

Taryn

:iagree:

We have been using Singapore for less than a month so take this with a grain of salt, but *I* could not teach using only the textbook. I really like all of the information and concrete examples in the HIG and how it is a loosely "scripted" lesson (very low key- this is no Saxon scripting ;)).

If I had to pick only *one* "teacher book" for Singapore, it would be the HIG. Mathier parents might feel more comfortable with less structure.

Having said that- we DO use the textbook. And the workbook. And the IP. And the CWP. :lol: My son LOVES them all. Yahoo for liking math, finally!

Well, I officially more confused than ever! I appreciate all your replies. I will spend a little more time researching this weekend. I have a call into a df that uses SM and will visit with her some too. Maybe I can even put my hands on her stuff. That's half my problem...I just need to touch it to see what is there.

I think the reason we don't need the textbook for the visual aspect is because we do a lot of whiteboarding while working from the HIG. My son would rather draw his own columns and rows of dots for multiplication than count smiling bumblebees. That's what works for us. YMMV.

That being said, I think it depends what you want to do with it. If you are looking for more on the instructor end, I'd go with the HIG. If you are wanting something to explain concepts to the child (not instructor-centered), I'd get the textbook. The workbook will have the problems. I guess it just depends how you want to combine with your spine. It would be great if you could see them in real life. :)

Well, I officially more confused than ever! I appreciate all your replies. I will spend a little more time researching this weekend. I have a call into a df that uses SM and will visit with her some too. Maybe I can even put my hands on her stuff. That's half my problem...I just need to touch it to see what is there.

It might be helpful to us and yourself if you can clarify "why" you might want to "supplement" with Singapore Math in the first place. What does "supplementing" mean to you? What are your goals?

Bill

I think the reason we don't need the textbook for the visual aspect is because we do a lot of whiteboarding while working from the HIG. My son would rather draw his own columns and rows of dots for multiplication than count smiling bumblebees. That's what works for us. YMMV.

That being said, I think it depends what you want to do with it. If you are looking for more on the instructor end, I'd go with the HIG. If you are wanting something to explain concepts to the child (not instructor-centered), I'd get the textbook. The workbook will have the problems. I guess it just depends how you want to combine with your spine. It would be great if you could see them in real life. :)

:iagree: I could have written this myself. We use manipulatives and the whiteboard. I still use the textbook since we have it but at this level (I cannot speak for the higher levels) it does not feel that necessary.

I also :iagree: that it depends on what the OP wants to do with it and how she wishes to supplement with it.

If you are looking for more on the instructor end, I'd go with the HIG. If you are wanting something to explain concepts to the child (not instructor-centered), I'd get the textbook. The workbook will have the problems.

I think this is a great way to break it down: Teacher-led, mostly self-led, practice. (In a nutshell.) All three are important ways to learn mathematics.

Another approach to consider: As a supplemental program, you could go with textbook and workbook. If you've already got another core program, you're presumably doing instructor-led math lessons already.

Cat