Menu

A reading victory for my 8 yo!

I just had to share this with people who would understand. And maybe sharing here will prevent me from shouting it from my rooftop and, you know, disturbing the neighbors and stuff. :D

Background for context: I have posted before about the struggles with my 8 yo son with reading. He may be dyslexic although he has not been tested. We have tried so many different things and I was really wondering what else I could do. I got some really great advice and encouragement here (thank you!). We had been reading through the I See Sam books since January and he was making great progress. It really helped him to blend more instead of sounding out. every. sound.

So, I decided to order AAS and we're about halfway through level one. That is going great, too. He has made improvements that are noticeable. I printed off the four sample stories on the AAS website for their readers and he really enjoyed them, so I decided to order the other two readers that go with level 1. They came in the mail yesterday and we looked at them right away. He was immediately engaged, although he didn't read them yet because we aren't quite ready for them (the stories are assigned in AAS). (I don't mean to sound like a commercial for AAS, I just think the OG methods are clicking with him. I'm not an affiliate or anything. :001_smile:)

So now for the praise! After supper last night, I came into the living room to see him on the couch reading one of the books. You have to understand, this is a kid who will say "I can't read." :svengo: Then, he brought one of the books to bed with him and read there. And this morning while I was helping DD with her math and he was waiting for me to do spelling with him, he took the book outside to read more and told his brother "be quiet, I'm reading". :D He could have played with any number of toys while he waited, but he. wanted. to. read.

I am so excited, I could cry, scream, and yell like a crazy person. I knew you would understand! Thanks for listening. I know we still have a long road ahead, but right now, I am basking in this victory. :001_smile:

Yeah! That is awesome!

One of my boys has struggled similarly. Recently at our fellowship group's passover meal, he (of all people!) was asked to read aloud in a room of 30+ people. We're new to the group & no one knew of his struggles. And they still don't - because he did well! I have a hard time not getting all teary when I hear him read aloud, because I know that it has not been an easy road for him (or me!).

So, all that to say - good job to you & your son!!

Yeah! That is awesome!

One of my boys has struggled similarly. Recently at our fellowship group's passover meal, he (of all people!) was asked to read aloud in a room of 30+ people. We're new to the group & no one knew of his struggles. And they still don't - because he did well! I have a hard time not getting all teary when I hear him read aloud, because I know that it has not been an easy road for him (or me!).

So, all that to say - good job to you & your son!!

:hurray: That is fantastic!!

I'm so excited for you! I could have written your post a couple of years ago.. Sam Books, AAS, "I can't read", etc. Ds is 10 now, still working w/ AAS and has improved considerably. We took the PASS test last August w/ tears the entire way through the reading portion- on the lowest level. Testing now and not a single tear. Still some struggles, but the improvements are great. I rejoice with you and wish you the best in this learning to read journey!