Menu

Math help - we want color and manipulatives - not SAXON

momee

I'd like something that deals with manipulatives, is very strong on teaching place value - and doesn't cost a fortune.

I was looking at Math U See but it doesn't look - hm, colorful - engaging?

I do want worksheets and drill but also something that gives a good foundational base for math.

I personally do Singapore, but we started out with Saxon. After months of sobbing from my daughter we switched to Singapore. We have used Singapore for 3 years, but last year I bought MUS to supplement Sinapore after hearing great things about it here. I think MUS is really engaging and I really like their manipulatives. I have about 5 different brands of manipulatives and I can honestly say I like MUS the best.

Check out the new edition of the BJU math. The new tm's come with a cd to print out the extra worksheets, the student workbook is colorful, etc. We used RS at that level, so when we switched over the BJU, we just continued with our RS manipulatives and methods of explanation. If you like the manipulatives from MUS or RS or whatever, you could bring those in, no problem. RS is AWESOME for placevalue, the best (imho), but it's not in color. If you want color, which I totally understand because it makes a huge difference for my dd too, then you might have to blend. BJU is very similar in approach to RS. I just happen to really, really like the way RS explains things. You could get the base 10 picture cards, place value cards, and an abacus from RS ($2.50, $4, and ~$20) and you'd be fully prepared to explain place value the RS way. The manips from RS even come with instruction booklets. They also have an interactive online abacus on their website. To me that gives you the best place value explanation around with a colorful, non-spiral curriculum. :)

RightStart is rather expensive, but it perfectly fits all the other criterion you mentioned. It's fantastic for teaching place value and mental math, the abacus is, IMHO, the best math manipulative invented, and there is plenty of drill and reinforcement in th form of practice sheets and card games.

You can save some money by buying used (join the RightStart yahoo list and check out http://www.homeschoolclassifieds.com) and/or by selling your materials when you're done with them. If you prefer to buy new, Rainbow Resource is slightly cheaper.

Chris in Va - we're just not liking the black white/ redundancy of Saxon.

She's a very flamboyant little one and loves pictures, colors etc. I think Saxon does a good job teaching but it's not for her.

Elizabeth - I can't seem to find anything on the newer BJU math. All I can find samples of is the old one - which we actually used before we got Saxon.

Miquon -- colored ink for workbook pages; use of cuisenaire rods; good for grades K-3; inexpensive; can be used as a spine or as a supplement

Math-U-See -- use of rods; visual DVD lesson; simple B&W (not overwhelming) workbook pages

And perhaps consider just supplementing your current math once a week -- or take 1-2 weeks off and use something else entirely. How about some colorful booklets and manipulatives such as:

- geoboards

- pattern blocks

- multi-link cubes

- cuisenaire rods

- tangrams

- balance bucket and weights

- fraction circles of bars

- dice or dominoes

- Math Discoveries With... series of booklets

- Exploring With... series of booklets by Learning Resources

- Math Activities With... series of booklets by Learning Resources

Colorful workbook pages in these great supplements, often available through Walmart or Sam's Club, but also through Rainbow Resource:

- The Complete Book of Math (gr. 1-2)

- The Complete Book of Math (gr. 3-4)

Math games are colorful, hands-on and interactive. There are lots of actual board, dice, etc. games, plus books with ideas for making lots of math games through Rainbow Resource (http://www.rainbowresource.com) and Educational Learning Games (http://www.educationallearninggames.com/). Even supplementing with card and board games you have at home can really break things up and drill math in a "sneaky" way. (lol)

BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

Harcourt is very colorful and engaging for 2nd grade. The workbook was wonderful. We used it as a supplement with Singapore and dd loved it at the time. It really helped her over the hump when she was stuck on multidigit subtraction.

I got the 3rd grade program, and the text was still colorful, but the workbook was not so much (maybe 3 colors, but I only remember 2). We didn't need the supplement anymore by that time, so I sent it back.

I don't know what grade you're donig, but I would highly recommend the Harcourt 2nd grade workbook.

Either MUS or Singapore, or both, as they're great for visual learners and kinesthetic as well. I used to think that "visual" automatically meant "color", but that's not necessarily true. My oldest dd is a visual learner, but it doesn't have to be colorful for her to "see" and understand the concept. It depends a lot on how the page is laid out. For example, she liked Saxon in the lower grades because of all the manipulatives and little "projects" like the daily calendar, etc. But she *despised* Saxon 5/4. She also hated BJU math which is very colorful, partly because there's just too much clutter on the page. Your eyes have to jump around the page in order to find each of the assignments.

Some say that Singapore is mathematically inclined kids and/or parents. But she LOVES Singapore and has done well with it because of the way the concepts are demonstrated on the page. She rarely uses manipulatives, but my 2nd dd who's a kinesthetic and auditory learner, does fine with Singapore and does need/use manipulatives.

Likewise, MUS fits the bill because of the DVD/visual lessons with Mr. Demme, the colored blocks, and the use of colored pencils in the workbook.

I love the ideas Lori D has. We use Miquon at that age and use colored pencils as well. Something about adding the color themselves has helped to cement the math for my kids. Maybe because they spend more time with the page.

Good luck!