Menu

Greek?

mrs.m

We're planning on using Elementary Greek when we're done with Song School Greek (which is probably too young for your DD ;) ). I would recommend, though, The Greek Alphabet Code Cracker for learning the letters and their sounds. I did it right along with the kids, and it taught me a lot. (Taught them more, I definitely don't have the gift of tongues, but it still taught me a lot.)

She says Biblical Greek.

But how easily will that transition into Modern Greek should she want to learn it later?

Based on what several people (who studied Biblical then Classical) told me, we chose to begin with classical because they stated it was a steep climb transitioning from Biblical to Classical. DD began Athenaze at age 11, and it has worked out well. It includes Biblical translation w/in the workbook. My daughter has enjoyed it tremendously, though I don't think she would characterize it as "fun" so much as gratifying.

I was cautioned to start with classical Greek instead of biblical, but knew immediately that there were not the proper resources available for self-study, to fascilitate such a plan.

In my first attempt at Greek, I used levels 3 and 4 of Hey Andrew followed by the 1st edition of Machen, and supplemented with just about everything else that was out on the market at the time. I didn't try to teach English with one book and certainly didn't try to teach Greek with one book.

Post trauma memory loss and time has seriously eroded my Greek skills :-( After I finish relearning a little bit of Hebrew I am planning on getting back to the Greek. My first purchase will be Elementary Greek.

We're planning on using Elementary Greek when we're done with Song School Greek (which is probably too young for your DD ;) ). I would recommend, though, The Greek Alphabet Code Cracker for learning the letters and their sounds. I did it right along with the kids, and it taught me a lot. (Taught them more, I definitely don't have the gift of tongues, but it still taught me a lot.)

:iagree: We haven't done Song School Greek, but middle dd loved Code Cracker and is now in her 2nd year of Elementary Greek, leading into the third year for next year. Not sure where we'll go from there until she's ready to take high school Greek online at Lukeion.org. That's her goal, but I'm not sure she'll be ready after next year. Anyone have any suggestions for a middle course? :)

Based on what several people (who studied Biblical then Classical) told me, we chose to begin with classical because they stated it was a steep climb transitioning from Biblical to Classical. DD began Athenaze at age 11, and it has worked out well. It includes Biblical translation w/in the workbook. My daughter has enjoyed it tremendously, though I don't think she would characterize it as "fun" so much as gratifying.

How difficult is Athenaze? My DS is picking up on SSG and went through the Code Cracker in a matter of about 2 weeks. :tongue_smilie: I can't keep up with him. I'd rather he learn Classical first, but I can't find anything appropriate. He's 8. Will this be too much? He seems to have a gift for languages. I so don't...so I'll have to be learning right along with him.

How difficult is Athenaze? My DS is picking up on SSG and went through the Code Cracker in a matter of about 2 weeks. :tongue_smilie: I can't keep up with him. I'd rather he learn Classical first, but I can't find anything appropriate. He's 8. Will this be too much? He seems to have a gift for languages. I so don't...so I'll have to be learning right along with him.

The learning curve for me relative to my daughter is steep! :tongue_smilie: I can ask her what she thinks in terms of difficulty. I have twins who just turned 9, and she/I are going to begin working with them on Greek this summer. Since your son has a gift for languages, he will likely outpace you (At least my daughter did me. It is humbling to be sure.) I am not one to rule out anything for a child because I know they are infinitely capable. At the same time, IME they have to be highly motivated to take on this level of work at 8 and 9 years of age regardless of ability.

In my first attempt at Greek, I used levels 3 and 4 of Hey Andrew followed by the 1st edition of Machen, and supplemented with just about everything else that was out on the market at the time. I didn't try to teach English with one book and certainly didn't try to teach Greek with one book.

.... Elementary Greek.

:iagree: That sounds almost exactly like us, lol. We haven't finished EG yet. Used a lot of printable online resources too. I noticed there were a lot of neat resources when i did a search of the boards for learning Greek. ;)