Menu

Learning to write a lit analysis paper

We have a pretty good grounding in basic lit analysis and will be coming up to our first literary analysis paper next year. Since I feel we have the lit analysis itself covered, is there anything anyone would suggest that would incrementally walk us through how to tackle the lit analysis paper?

In looking over the samples of IEW's Windows to the World, it seems like it is primarily intended to teach lit analysis with unit 5 focusing on teaching how to write a paper. Am I misunderstanding the sample?

Thanks!

Not sure I understand your question, so here's a quick run-down of what is covered in WttW:

Unit 5 of WttW is a very specific lesson teaching the student how to write a *literary analysis essay* -- probably the clearest and most specific and helpful info I've ever seen on writing that *particular type* of a paper. (If you are looking for something to incrementally walk you through the process, this would be *it*!)

The first 4 units teach annotation, and how to use your annotations to give you the specific examples you will then use as support in your literary analysis essay.

The remaining units then teach looking for specific literary elements (such as theme, characterization, irony, figurative language, etc.), and HOW to use those literary elements as examples and support in your literary analysis essay.

Throughout all the units are specific exercises and additional short works, fables, or poems to practice the skills being learned. There are also specific literary analysis essay ideas for each of the 6 short stories that are annotated and gone over in depth.

We, too had a very solid grounding and understanding of literary elements and literary analysis going into WttW, but found WttW to be extremely helpful in getting the students to "put it all together" and go from just *seeing* the literary elements in a piece of literature, to being able to analyze HOW those specific literary elements worked to support the students' contentions in discussing the work, or in writing a literary analysis essay.

Did that answer your question??? Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

I would support what Lori wrote 100%. I was hesitant to purchase WttW because I wanted something secular, but my oldest dd and I really enjoyed going through it together. She is already competent with literary analysis and is an older student. I had her go through it so that I could see where her skills were at. I am looking forward to using it again with my 8th grader next year. The lesson on writing a literary analysis paper is very clear. You really can't go wrong.

I don't know anything about WttW. There is a cheap product titled Teaching the Essay. It's by the company that produces Analytical Grammar. I have not used this product or have seen it. Stacy in NJ posted that a more accurate name for this product is "Teaching the Literary Essay. It focuses on reading a short story and developing a literary essay from it. IT's a good short introduction to responding to literature for an older student (7th grade+)." If you want more info, you can try PMing Stacy in NJ.

Capt Uhura

I would support what Lori wrote 100%. I was hesitant to purchase WttW because I wanted something secular, but my oldest dd and I really enjoyed going through it together. She is already competent with literary analysis and is an older student. I had her go through it so that I could see where her skills were at. I am looking forward to using it again with my 8th grader next year. The lesson on writing a literary analysis paper is very clear. You really can't go wrong.

I was also curious about using WttW secularly so I value your input Swimmermom.

Thanks Lori D - you are a wealth of information on this board and I sincerely thank you for sharing your thoughts, opinions, and ideas. :cheers2: (I wanted to give flowers but I didn't see a flower smiley).

With what age/grade would you use WttW?

I will be curious to see Lori's assessment for the age/graded question. My personal experience was that when I tried to include Swimmer Dude this year in our use of Teaching the Classics and WttW, he wasn't really able to do the work as a 7th grader. O. Henry's language in The Gift of the Magi was beyond his comprehension level. That experience reminded me of some advice Lori gave a while back about exposing your student to different "types" of language. I have been pushing ds to read more complex or antiquated works like those of Howard Pyle and works that contain dialects. He actually had a piece with dialects come up today in his state testing. Our kids are very much at ease with modern language, but can be thrown by more demanding language, but I digress...:tongue_smilie:

Thanks Lori D ... I wanted to give flowers but I didn't see a flower smiley...

LOL! The "cheers" are just as fun as "flowers"! :)

I was also curious about using WttW secularly so I value your input Swimmermom... With what age/grade would you use WttW?

Not Swimmermom, but...

WttW is billed as a 1 semester high school program. The author has posted further material and scheduling on Yahoo groups, so that you could actually make it a 1 year program. While listed as for grades 9-12, I think an 8th grader who is a solid writer would have no problems with WttW. *Maybe* even an advanced 7th grader (strong writer AND really grasps literary analysis) -- just spread the 1 semester course out over a year...

As I recall, the bulk of the Christian material is contained in Unit 3 (Allusions), with an exercise specifically geared around Biblical Allusions, and then Unit 9, which covers worldview, and specifically includes Christian worldview. However, neither is very long, and it might be worth skimming through, as, along with Shakespeare, Greek epics/mythology, and King Arthur, the most alluded to work tends to be the Bible. Also, Christian themes of sin, redemption and sacrifice show up in a lot of classic literature, so it might be worth a quick look at the worldview behind those themes.

BEST of luck, whatever you go with! And enjoy your literature adventures! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

I will be curious to see Lori's assessment for the age/graded question. My personal experience was that when I tried to include Swimmer Dude this year in our use of Teaching the Classics and WttW, he wasn't really able to do the work as a 7th grader. O. Henry's language in The Gift of the Magi was beyond his comprehension level. That experience reminded me of some advice Lori gave a while back about exposing your student to different "types" of language. I have been pushing ds to read more complex or antiquated works like those of Howard Pyle and works that contain dialects. He actually had a piece with dialects come up today in his state testing. Our kids are very much at ease with modern language, but can be thrown by more demanding language, but I digress...:tongue_smilie:

Our experience is probably not the norm, but it has been different than whathas been described so far. I started using it with my 11th, 9th, and 6th graders about 7 weeks ago (I think, somewhere around there.) We spent a long time on the allusions and they have benefited from learning how to annotate. I have had to find alternative short stories for our discussions b/c my 6th grader was not comfortable reading The Most Dangerous Game.

Now, we basically flew through chpts 5 and 6 b/c my kids already know how to write literary essays and the skills presented were below their level and we just touched on them briefly.

I would not use it with a younger student on their own. The selections are more appropriate for older students (though my dd enjoyed and had no difficulties analyzing The Gift of the Magi. I know that she does not consider it a favorite course. (though we did have a great time with the allusions.)

Our experience is probably not the norm, but it has been different than whathas been described so far. I started using it with my 11th, 9th, and 6th graders about 7 weeks ago (I think, somewhere around there.) We spent a long time on the allusions and they have benefited from learning how to annotate. I have had to find alternative short stories for our discussions b/c my 6th grader was not comfortable reading The Most Dangerous Game.

Now, we basically flew through chpts 5 and 6 b/c my kids already know how to write literary essays and the skills presented were below their level and we just touched on them briefly.

I would not use it with a younger student on their own. The selections are more appropriate for older students (though my dd enjoyed and had no difficulties analyzing The Gift of the Magi. I know that she does not consider it a favorite course. (though we did have a great time with the allusions.)

It is interesting to hear of your experience in using it over a broad age range. I am not surprised that your 6th grader had no difficulty with it, but I do think most would due to the complexity of literary selections. I used it with my 12th grader as a place to start because I had never taught her before. I thought the two at home could do it together. It was below her abilities, but she had never read any of the works before and enjoyed them. (Please Eight, don't ask me what she had read in her public school education.:tongue_smilie:)

While ds didn't get The Gift of the Magi (remember, he is my non-reader in a house full of books), he thought A Most Dangerous Game was a great story.

I would probably use the program from 8th-10th grade. I could have used it with dd in 7th, but we would have been on the edge. Eight, I think your kids are writing literary analysis papers a bit earlier than many the students on here, but I could be wrong on that.

Edited by swimmermom3

It is interesting to hear of year experience in using it over a broad age range. I am not surprised that your 6th grader had no difficulty with it, but I do think most would due to the complexity of literary selections. I used it with my 12th grader as a place to start because I had never taught her before. I thought the two at home could do it together. It was below her abilities, but she had never read any of the works before and enjoyed them. (Please Eight, don't ask me what she had read in her public school education.:tongue_smilie:)

While ds didn't get The Gift of the Magi (remember, he is my non-reader in a house full of books), he thought A Most Dangerous Game was a great story.

I would probably use the program from 8th-10th grade. I could have used it with dd in 7th, but we would have been on the edge. Eight, I think your kids are writing literary analysis papers a bit earlier than many the students on here, but I could be wrong on that.

Only this dd. None of my other kids were doing what she is at this age. I mainly responded b/c while she is advanced and can the do the course, it would not be one I would readily suggest for someone that is teaching only a young middle school student. I think your recommendation of 8th-10th is a good one.

BTW, we did have one neat thing happen while doing the program. I divided up the allusion list amg the three of them and they spent 3 weeks researching and sharing their lists. Simultaneously, 6th grade dd and I were doing a study on Revelations after having finished our Narnia study. When we read The Donkey in WttW, we had just read when the "the moon was blood" in Revelations. Gotta love when things like that happen w/o planning!!

I would probably use the program from 8th-10th grade.

Yes, I think high school level is a good assessment of the grade level of WttW, with strong 8th gr. readers able to tackle it.

We spread out WttW over several years, using units of it here and there, starting when DSs were 9th and 10th grades. We have always read aloud a LOT, and done a lot of works with older language, sentence structure, etc., so WttW did not "throw" either DS... However, if they had been in middle school and solo reading "Gift of the Magi" and "The Necklace" on their own, I think they would have struggled. We *just* did "Jury of Her Peers last month, and younger DS did NOT get it at ALL. And he's not a slouch at literary analysis; it just was not his "cup of tea". I finally went over it page by page with DSs, and I realized that the symbolism was still a little too subtle for them to pick up and interpret; they are still fairly "black and white" in their analysis.

So, you really need to know you kids' abilities when it comes to literature. OR... cheat, like we do, and read large amounts of it out loud together and discuss as you go ;) Warmest regards, Lori

We, too had a very solid grounding and understanding of literary elements and literary analysis going into WttW, but found WttW to be extremely helpful in getting the students to "put it all together" and go from just *seeing* the literary elements in a piece of literature, to being able to analyze HOW those specific literary elements worked to support the students' contentions in discussing the work, or in writing a literary analysis essay.

Did that answer your question???

Yes! You completely answered my question. Your answer also helped me clarify what it is I am seeking. As I originally posted, I was looking for help only in teaching the literary analysis essay. But the way you commented above on helping the student to put it all together reminded me that we need to do that first before we can write about it. Thanks so much!!!

We spread out WttW over several years, using units of it here and there, starting when DSs were 9th and 10th grades.

This is a great idea and would fit my style of teaching better than doing it all at once from start to finish. How did you approach this? Did you teach the units in order or rearrange them? Are there natural "groupings" of the units that you would recommend teaching in blocks? It's hard for me to tell how much they might build on one another or where it might make sense to divide them up from the online samples available online.

Thanks so much to everyone for their input!

Only this dd. None of my other kids were doing what she is at this age. I mainly responded b/c while she is advanced and can the do the course, it would not be one I would readily suggest for someone that is teaching only a young middle school student. I think your recommendation of 8th-10th is a good one.

Thank you for this! I am updating my long-range schedule/plan (as you saw in my gifted and co-op thread). I have been trying to figure out what IEW to schedule which year. I am shooting for AP Am Lit in 10th grade, AP Language and Composition in 11th grade, and AP British Lit in 12th grade - all to coincide with our history studies. I was thinking of using IEW's Am and Brit Lit courses for those two years.

So, I'm glad to read that I can use WttW in late middle school. My daughter is somewhat sensitive to subject matter. But maybe in a year or two, it won't be so bad.

What texts or reading programs would be good to use for introduction to literary analysis leading up to a year using WttW, and then also concurrent with WttW? What IEW modules should we use to lead to WttW?

We have used CLE reading, which has all the lit analysis starting in grade 5. Wondering if there is something else to consider? In doing google searches on "pre-ap," all the syllabi I found use Holt's Elements of Literature.

What about Lightning Literature or Progeny Press guides?

Lesley

Well, the units DO refer back to stories previously covered, both mentioning them but also in including them in exercises. However, because we had read the stories several times and done the thorough annotation, even though there was a gap of 2 years in between having read the first stories and finishing up WttW, it wasn't a problem as DSs clearly remembered the first stories. However, this might not be the case for everyone...

How we broke it up (best as I can remember -- LOL) is below. Note: we did not do all the exercises, so that might change how you would do things a bit if you do all the exercises. I also noted the units in which you will read/annotate a short story -- those take longer; at least, we would spend a good week, reading it the first day, and then slow reading/annotating for several days after that. If you wanted to cover it in one year, then you could roughly use the four divisions I used as what to cover in each of the 4 quarters of the school year.

year 1 - first semester

- unit 1 (welcome)

- unit 2 (short story)

** set it aside for a few weeks **

- unit 3

year 1 - second semester

- unit 4

- unit 5

year 2 - first semester

- skim/review units 1-5

- unit 6

- unit 7 (short story)

- unit 8

- unit 9 (short story)

year 2 - second semester

- unit 10

- unit 11 (short story)

- unit 12

- unit 13 (short story)

- unit 14

- unit 15 (farewell)

Lori,

Did you use Teaching the Classics as well or is WttW stand-alone? For some reason I was under the impression that you needed TC also.

My son is taking a coop class using SMARR Ancient Lit, and he is having a hard time fleshing out his papers. His teacher consistently tells him he has a good skeleton, but needs more meat. I just don't know how to help him. Would WttW be of value for this?

Thanks

Just want to chime in here that my 9th grader is finishing WttW using Jill Pike's lessons posted on the IEW group website. Her lessons begin with an optional 6 weeks going through Teaching the Classics, which can be skipped if your student doesn't need the review of literary elements. Although my dd had a pretty good understanding of the literary elements, I think she benefited from going through the Teaching the Classics DVDs. I agree with other posters that WttW is the best resource I've seen for teaching how to write the literary analysis essay. The lessons on how to annotate and analyze the various literary elements have also been invaluable. This course will be a must do for each of my dc when they reach 9th grade.

Thank you for this! I am updating my long-range schedule/plan (as you saw in my gifted and co-op thread). I have been trying to figure out what IEW to schedule which year. I am shooting for AP Am Lit in 10th grade, AP Language and Composition in 11th grade, and AP British Lit in 12th grade - all to coincide with our history studies. I was thinking of using IEW's Am and Brit Lit courses for those two years.

So, I'm glad to read that I can use WttW in late middle school. My daughter is somewhat sensitive to subject matter. But maybe in a year or two, it won't be so bad.

What texts or reading programs would be good to use for introduction to literary analysis leading up to a year using WttW, and then also concurrent with WttW? What IEW modules should we use to lead to WttW?

We have used CLE reading, which has all the lit analysis starting in grade 5. Wondering if there is something else to consider? In doing google searches on "pre-ap," all the syllabi I found use Holt's Elements of Literature.

What about Lightning Literature or Progeny Press guides?

Lesley

I used Further Up and Further In with her this yr. It really was just a springboard for me though b/c we really fleshed it out far more than it did as a resource. For 7th, we are using the Anne of Green Gables study.

My goal is to use LLfLOTR with her in 8th. (I wanted to use it with her over 7th and 8th but she balked. She has watched her older brothers be LOTR's fanatics and it has made her biased against something she really knows nothing about.) LLfLOTR is the best literary analysis study I have ever seen. The heart of the program is in the units. It does not teach how to write a literary essay, however. It does assign them.

There is a cheap product titled Teaching the Essay. It's by the company that produces Analytical Grammar. I have not used this product or have seen it. Stacy in NJ posted that a more accurate name for this product is "Teaching the Literary Essay. It focuses on reading a short story and developing a literary essay from it. IT's a good short introduction to responding to literature for an older student (7th grade+)."

This looks really good! I watched the demo video on the AG website and I like how structured it is and how it walks the student through writing a 5 paragraph essay step-by-step-by-step.

My DD probably will not be ready to do it next year (right now I'm leaning towards Paragraph Writing Made Easy and then another run through of MCT's Paragraph Town). But maybe the following year.

I used Further Up and Further In with her this yr. It really was just a springboard for me though b/c we really fleshed it out far more than it did as a resource. For 7th, we are using the Anne of Green Gables study.

My goal is to use LLfLOTR with her in 8th. (I wanted to use it with her over 7th and 8th but she balked. She has watched her older brothers be LOTR's fanatics and it has made her biased against something she really knows nothing about.) LLfLOTR is the best literary analysis study I have ever seen. The heart of the program is in the units. It does not teach how to write a literary essay, however. It does assign them.

Not only is LLfLOTR an amazing literary analysis study, it is an incredibly flexible resource. I have used it two different ways with my boys and it was equally effective both ways.

Eight, on a side note, did you use Further Up and Further In as a genuine unit study. I know it needed supplementation when it came to literary analysis, but I am curious to know if you did all the rest of it? Is the Anne of Green Gable the same type of study?

I have been thinking more about unit studies after my youngest read Once and Future King. It begs for a unit study and I may be teaching my nephew next year. Your thoughts? Or it may be best if I start another thread so as not to derail this one.

Swimmermom - Have you posted somewhere the two different ways you've used LLfLOTR?

The oldest son did it as recommended with a bit of tweaking. SwimmerDude is doing spread out over three years starting with epics at the end of 6th grade to coincide with our wrap-up of ancient history, this year, he is doing most of the units that aren't directly related to LOTR because they tie in with medieval history and then we'll wrap up the rest over the summer or as part of 8th grade. My goal is to have finished LLfLOTR, WttW and probably TTC as well by the end of 8th grade. I continue to plug off weeks with K12. Remember that I use literature analysis in place of formal logic because sadly, I work better that way.

Can on hop on board here and ask a quick question about LLLOTR?

It's hard to get a feel for this from the few sample pages. Is it more than just fill-in-the-blank and a few questions?

My guys are really not IN to literary analysis, so I'm hoping that utilizing LOTR might get them into it;)

It's hard to get a feel for this from the few sample pages. Is it more than just fill-in-the-blank and a few questions?

My guys are really not IN to literary analysis, so I'm hoping that utilizing LOTR might get them into it;)

:bigear:

Your timing is perfect on this question. If you haven't already, check out Lori D.'s posts on this thread.