Menu

I give... what's the big deal about CLE?

I keep reading on both the younger boards and the higher boards that CLE is wonderful. What is so great about it? And why I haven't I heard about it until recently? and on the flip side... what's wrong with it? And for a point of perspective... we LIKE a Christian education and perspective so let's not knock the fact it isn't secular.

Thanks from a mom who is tired from teaching EVERY subject EVERY day ALL day to 2 kids with a toddler under her feet. :)

I've used their math, reading, and language arts programs. They are good, solid programs. They are workbook-based, with the lesson included in the workbook. Because of this, it's possible that your child could self-teach.

If you're interested, give them a call and order a grade sample package. It doesn't cost much and will give you a good idea of what they are like.

I think you will find that most people who use CLE only use their subjects that are a "Sunrise Edition". This means it is the company's own publication. Anything that doesn't say SE is an Alpha Omega product that the company has permission to sell.

The company sells Sunrise for all the LA and Reading/Literature through 12th grade. For math, the Sunrise Editions are through 8th grade. A preliminary Algebra 1 is available for purchase through June or July, but it's a rough copy because it was just in testing this year. The programs are thorough and rigorous. The grammar includes diagramming. The writing instruction is weak, IMO, most of it is included in a separate book that I didn't find very helpful.

For their LA and Math, both are a spiral approach, which many really like. The books are consumable, which many like for math and grammar. They are also very affordable. the reading in the upper elementary grades and middle school is only half a year, leaving plenty of time for real books. Those programs cover literary analysis as well as word roots, etc.

I am not very strong in grammar. I can understand it, but don't retain it very well. In the 7th grade levels and higher, there are page references to a handbook that the company sells. It is been very helpful to me, because if my dd misses something, I can look it up and see why.

I have used the 1st & 2nd grade LA and 2nd grade Math with my ds. He is very visual and became very bored with the books. I believe it is because of the lack of color and pictures on the pages. I switched him to BJU Math and English for now, but we'll probably switch back to CLE later when he will be more mature. My dd has used 7th grade Reading last year, and 8th grade LA and Math this year. I wish I had know about it earlier for her in the math because it has really helped her having a spiral program. The only other spiral programs I knew of were A Beka and Saxon, and I don't care for either. She can do math, but always needed little reminders of how to do things when she hadn't seen it in a while.

I believe they are good for independent study as long as the student can read well.

Edited by mom31257

Got it. We use R&S for grammar and it is working great for us. We use MM for math and again, it's working so I shall leave it alone. Writing... my nemesis. Writing has some skill weaknesses so we grabbed WWE and it is showing promise and helping us where needed.

Have a great day and thank you for the explanation.

We've used Math, Reading, Science, and Social Studies. We've used the Math and Reading for over four years now.

The Sunrise editions are wonderful, the others are reworked Alpha Omega content, which I'm not fond of but use for one kid who loves their science.

The Sunrise math only goes to Pre-Algebra right now with Algebra I in progress, but they probably won't go higher.

The higher you go, the more Mennonite doctrine you'll run into in the Reading/Literature and Social Studies courses.

I am looking at some of their vocational topics for my teens, but we won't be using CLE for anything else past 7-8th grade.

We used CLE for math from 1-8 grade and language arts 2-6. And occasionally some other subject.

I understand your question perfectly. CLE doesn't have some great new concept. It isn't the latest fad or research-based. It's not at all flashy or attractive. So what's so great about it?

It works. Without getting too boring, the material is retained. New material is gradually introduced, so there isn't some big jump that your child will miss. And the material is reviewed enough, at various times so that the old material is retained forever.

So, your child will test very well after using CLE. And CLE is relatively easy to teach and for the child to do. It's an inexpensive workbook format. So, the child doesn't have to write out the answers on a separate sheet, which can be tedious. And it doesn't cost a fortune either.

My dd is an only child, so it works well for us. People with multiple children may prefer to use textbooks, rather than workbooks, so they only have to buy one copy and each child can use it.

CLE has been described as "gentle". It's a strange way to describe something, yet we forget that it is important for children. What was so special about Mr. Rogers? Nothing flashy or attractive or trendy about this old boring guy with the sweater he hangs up. Yet he connected with millions of children on his boring tv show. Children adored him. It's all counter-intuitive, yet it somehow works.

I keep reading on both the younger boards and the higher boards that CLE is wonderful. What is so great about it? And why I haven't I heard about it until recently? and on the flip side... what's wrong with it? And for a point of perspective... we LIKE a Christian education and perspective so let's not knock the fact it isn't secular.

Thanks from a mom who is tired from teaching EVERY subject EVERY day ALL day to 2 kids with a toddler under her feet. :)

I use the Language Arts. I am impressed because it is similar to R&S but can be written in. I like that it is thorough, methodical and does review. It includes spelling which is a plus for me too, because finding spelling programs I like is a little difficult. I like that there is a lesson per day as well and it is just open and go.

What makes you think they won't go any higher than Alg 1?

The new Algebra I won't be for sale in the catalog until 2012 or 2013. It will be a textbook, not Light Units.

Last I heard, they are using the Algebra I as a test case, and haven't committed a date for development of anything beyond that because they don't get many orders for their current high school math courses. If another level of math is done, it probably won't be started until the Algebra I has been out for a time and they see how that goes.

We used CLE for math from 1-8 grade and language arts 2-6. And occasionally some other subject.

I understand your question perfectly. CLE doesn't have some great new concept. It isn't the latest fad or research-based. It's not at all flashy or attractive. So what's so great about it?

It works. Without getting too boring, the material is retained. New material is gradually introduced, so there isn't some big jump that your child will miss. And the material is reviewed enough, at various times so that the old material is retained forever.

So, your child will test very well after using CLE. And CLE is relatively easy to teach and for the child to do. It's an inexpensive workbook format. So, the child doesn't have to write out the answers on a separate sheet, which can be tedious. And it doesn't cost a fortune either.

My dd is an only child, so it works well for us. People with multiple children may prefer to use textbooks, rather than workbooks, so they only have to buy one copy and each child can use it.

CLE has been described as "gentle". It's a strange way to describe something, yet we forget that it is important for children. What was so special about Mr. Rogers? Nothing flashy or attractive or trendy about this old boring guy with the sweater he hangs up. Yet he connected with millions of children on his boring tv show. Children adored him. It's all counter-intuitive, yet it somehow works.

:iagree:Rlugbill's explanation is right on.

I would add that it's very thorough, so you don't have nagging worries if you dc is missing anything. I think it also gently and systematically leads the student to deeper and more logical thinking than other workbooks I've seen, as another poster mentioned.

:iagree: Excellent description!

My 4th grade DD uses CLE for math, LA, reading, and geography this year after only using CLE math last year. She asked for more "lights units" this year. She really likes it, DOES it without complaining, and retains it. She's a "get it done" kind of personality. She wants to do her work and get outside. :D The con, IMO, is that it isn't literature-based. That was MY wish. We tried several (SL, MFW, WP) and it just didn't work well with her. We are about to add VP self-paced history online (with the literature pack) so that we can get more learning in based around literature.

My next daughter in line is 6 and is a different personality. She's all about making school FUN whereas my older daughter just likes to get it done and create her own fun. I don't think CLE will work for my younger daughter, though I do plan to have her use the math. Just not other subjects. :)

The new Algebra I won't be for sale in the catalog until 2012 or 2013. It will be a textbook, not Light Units.

Last I heard, they are using the Algebra I as a test case, and haven't committed a date for development of anything beyond that because they don't get many orders for their current high school math courses. If another level of math is done, it probably won't be started until the Algebra I has been out for a time and they see how that goes.

Thx. I was glad to see that the Alg 1 is going to be a textbook.

and on the flip side... what's wrong with it?

This really isn't something "wrong" with it, but a reason some of us don't consider using things like CLE:

We brought our kids home to be educated by us, rather than by a curriculum publisher, and we decided not to do school-at-home.

That said, my oldest was completely public schooled, in an inferior public school, and is a successful adult both career-wise and personally. So materials are definitely not the whole story and obviously CLE works well for some.

Julie

• 6 months later...
I think you will find that most people who use CLE only use their subjects that are a "Sunrise Edition". This means it is the company's own publication. Anything that doesn't say SE is an Alpha Omega product that the company has permission to sell.

The company sells Sunrise for all the LA and Reading/Literature through 12th grade. For math, the Sunrise Editions are through 8th grade. A preliminary Algebra 1 is available for purchase through June or July, but it's a rough copy because it was just in testing this year. The programs are thorough and rigorous. The grammar includes diagramming. The writing instruction is weak, IMO, most of it is included in a separate book that I didn't find very helpful.

For their LA and Math, both are a spiral approach, which many really like. The books are consumable, which many like for math and grammar. They are also very affordable. the reading in the upper elementary grades and middle school is only half a year, leaving plenty of time for real books. Those programs cover literary analysis as well as word roots, etc.

I am not very strong in grammar. I can understand it, but don't retain it very well. In the 7th grade levels and higher, there are page references to a handbook that the company sells. It is been very helpful to me, because if my dd misses something, I can look it up and see why.

I have used the 1st & 2nd grade LA and 2nd grade Math with my ds. He is very visual and became very bored with the books. I believe it is because of the lack of color and pictures on the pages. I switched him to BJU Math and English for now, but we'll probably switch back to CLE later when he will be more mature. My dd has used 7th grade Reading last year, and 8th grade LA and Math this year. I wish I had know about it earlier for her in the math because it has really helped her having a spiral program. The only other spiral programs I knew of were A Beka and Saxon, and I don't care for either. She can do math, but always needed little reminders of how to do things when she hadn't seen it in a while.

I believe they are good for independent study as long as the student can read well.

The bolded above is the reason why we switched TO CLE. We were using Math U See and all my daughter wanted to do was play with the blocks. We switched and now there are no distractions with colors and things to play with. I am VERY happy with the math and LA. The spiral approach really works well for my daughter who has retention issues.

We brought our kids home to be educated by us, rather than by a curriculum publisher, and we decided not to do school-at-home.

Julie

I know this thread is old but this caught my attention. Do you mean that you put together all your own material for your children and don't use published textbooks at all?

The bolded above is the reason why we switched TO CLE. We were using Math U See and all my daughter wanted to do was play with the blocks. We switched and now there are no distractions with colors and things to play with. I am VERY happy with the math and LA. The spiral approach really works well for my daughter who has retention issues.

I am using CLE English 1 this year and next for a continued grammar review. The best part of it is that the review exercises have page references to the company's hard-backed grammar handbook. I understand grammar, but don't really retain it. It's nice to have a reference to go to and read before I have to check things that require me to know it well. Those references are in grades 7 and higher.

I do not have ds in CLE LA yet, but he will be before 7th grade if I don't find something I like better. I figure as he gets older, the colorful, fun pages won't matter as much.

:iagree: Thorough, rigorous, pick up and go.

I bought CLE's Math 1 when my oldest was a kindergartener. I loved the workbook format, but we found it very repetitive and very dry. We never got past the first workbook.

The year before last, I bought some of the Math 6 Lightunits for my younger dd, but again we found them boring and way too light. I was disappointed, because so many people rave about them.

I won't buy their stuff again. Obviously, lots of people like CLE, but it's not a good fit for us.

I know this thread is old but this caught my attention. Do you mean that you put together all your own material for your children and don't use published textbooks at all?

Oh, you're straining my brain cells here :) Let's see, back in April was it...

Well, first I want to be clear that my oldest is successful even with public school materials far inferior to CLE I'm sure. So I don't want to knock those who use it. My oldest is an engineer now and it didn't ruin him.

But the I was responding to the question about what people found wrong with using something like CLE?

Okay, with that said, no, I don't make up my own materials 100%. In fact with my youngest, my structure has always come from using a pre-planned program (MFW). But the difference I think is who is "teaching." First of all, I have my kids read most things from more than one source (already scheduled into MFW), or in the case of the Bible start with the original source. And second of all, I am the one discussing the material with my child, rather than a workbook program where it is leading your child to certain conclusions (or outright telling them the conclusions), with no room for a parent's input or even a child's evaluation of several points of view and coming to his own conclusion. This is especially relevant to History and Bible, but also very much comes up in Literature and Science (which changes constantly, just read the Wikipedia article trying to pin down how many "Kingdoms" there are in Biology) and the arts and probably everything else.

Does that make any sense? There are many folks around here who do put together everything on their own, or their kids even put things together. At my house, I do some things myself when I just can't find materials I want to use (such as Biology this year, and almost all my older dd's History and Bible), but it's far easier for me if we can start with some pre-planned materials that use several sources, leave room for discussion, and provide wiggle room when I as the teacher want to teach.

Oh, and after reading the poster above me, I want to add that we want school to be more fun and interesting, too. Songs and timelines and notebooking are all things that help my kids "own" what they learn and enjoy the road trip as well as the ending destination.

Julie

Edited by Julie in MN