Menu

Suggestions for cursive handwriting

jendodge

My thought is this: don't get complacent and skip weeks. Or months. Don't take penmanship as a break for mom. If you don't sit there and correct the formation as it happens and let it slide too long, oh, you will regret it for YEARS down the road. Bad habits in technique and formation are sooo difficult to fix. We used Handwriting for a Reason and thought it was good, but I know there are other great programs out there. IMO and experience, Mom's diligence (or lack thereof) is what will make (or break) a program.

I loved the Handwriting Without Tears curriculum. DS could do it on his own. Small amounts frequently. Looks weird as it is straight up vertical, but it was easier for him to see and accomplish. There are two levels at about 3rd and 4th grade level approximately. Then there is another level for 5th or higher.

I loved the Handwriting Without Tears curriculum. DS could do it on his own. Small amounts frequently. Looks weird as it is straight up vertical, but it was easier for him to see and accomplish. There are two levels at about 3rd and 4th grade level approximately. Then there is another level for 5th or higher.

:iagree:

We used their first book for teaching the methods, then moved into something different (and more traditional) like CLE and A Reason for Handwriting.

We haven't officially used one, all though I did consider it.

Instead I used WriteStart and printed out my eldest's name for him.

First each letter on a line to trace a half dozen times with space to then write each letter a few times. Then after he'd written all 6 letters on their own we worked on linking them together and then writing his first name out. Between his first, middle, and last name he covers 9 different letters. Not much when you need to learn 26, but they are letters/words he'd see often.

He was very proud of learning to spell his own name in a day or two. I ended up picking up some of the Queens Copywork Cursive books so that once he masters letters he can have some things to practice that will hopefully not bore him too deeply. ;)

I use Joy of Handwriting Cursive which can be downloaded for $10. It's cheap and the cursive is simple. It's not exactly the cursive I used in parochial school (not enough fancy loops) but since DD is just starting out now, I think simple would be better. You can print out as many worksheets as you like. I also have StartWrite CD so that I can print out words and phrases for practice and eventually sentences for copywork.

:iagree:

We used their first book for teaching the methods, then moved into something different (and more traditional) like CLE and A Reason for Handwriting.

That's exactly what we are doing--HWT first for the basics, then ARFH for practice along with exposure to traditional cursive.

I use Joy of Handwriting Cursive which can be downloaded for $10. It's cheap and the cursive is simple. It's not exactly the cursive I used in parochial school (not enough fancy loops) but since DD is just starting out now, I think simple would be better. You can print out as many worksheets as you like. I also have StartWrite CD so that I can print out words and phrases for practice and eventually sentences for copywork.

:iagree: Except I have the lower letters only that come with the preschool curricula. (I have a free printout when he gets to upper case.) They are much better quality than Cursive First and my son is doing so much better writing inside the outline than he did tracing the standard dotted line.

For a follow-up, I grabbed a PDF from Copy Cat Books - they are $5 and have several styles to choose from. After he finishes those, I'll move him to a copywork jar and/or his own book of mottoes.

But do watch the letter formation. I have to watch DS7 carefully, as he can make some pretty strange letters on his own ... :lol:

I like Christian Liberty Press' Writing with Prayer and Queen Homeschool's Pictures in Cursive. Especially Queen Homeschool's as it is simply a beautiful way of practicing penmanship. After an introduction of each letter, the student practices phrases and eventually sentences that describe a masterpiece painting that is in the book.

Only downside IMO is 1) the uppercase and lowercase letters are introduced at the same time (I simply have DD do just one at a time) and 2) I find there is not enough practice and that is why I also use CLP's series. They both use Zaner-Bloser font and only uppercase letter Q is different. Using both does not give my kiddos too much writing. It ends up being just the right amount. :)