Menu

How can "my" be an adverb?

jtcarter14

We are doing JAG with ds and need help with this.

"My dad's parents live in Quebec, but my mom's family comes from Virginia."

The JAG Teacher Book says that "my" in both instances is an adverb. I just don't get it. Can any grammar experts out there explain?

Thanks!

Jessica

My is an adverb because it describes another adjective (dad's & mom's). Dad's is an adjective; my is the adverb that goes with dad's. If it went with family, it would be an adjective.

Someone else will probably explain better...But I gave it a shot.

Paula

I agree. The noun is family. Dad's modifies the noun family, whose family? Dad's. My modifies dad's. Whose dad? My dad's. An adverb modifies other adjectives or verbs, so since it is modifying an adjective and not a noun, it is an adverb. I don't think it is strictly a pronoun, although it is a possessive pronoun, because it is not functioning as a noun.

I checked three websites and they all listed "My dad's car" w/ dad's being a possessive noun. In that case, "my" would be an adjective?

I know the camp is split w/ sentence such as "His car was stolen." One camp calls "his" a pronoun possessive adj, another simply as an adjective, and another simply a possessive pronoun. But it is still functioning as an adjective.

A la FLL: An adverb is a word that describes a verb, an adjective, or another adverb. Adverbs tell how, when, where, how often, and to what extent.

Ok, I needed the reminder that adverbs modify adjectives. (This is what happens when my kids do so well learning independently; I'm clueless when they finally have a question!) But I still don't see how "my" in that sentence answers one of those questions. That's what I was stuck on earlier b/c I did remember those questions. :)

The JAG Teacher Book says that "my" in both instances is an adverb. I just don't get it. Can any grammar experts out there explain?

Thanks!

Jessica

I think the reason JAG wants you to label it as an adverb as opposed to a pronoun is so that the student will diagram it correctly. I'm not a grammar expert by any means but it seems that diagramming is based strictly on the JOB a word does not it's technical part of speech and that is AG's focus...diagramming.

Labeling "my" as a pronoun doesn't help you know where to put it in the diagram. AG teaches students to label possessive pronouns as adjectives (or adverbs) from the get-go so the student shouldn't be confused...but mom might if it's not what you remember from school.

If your dc labeled "my" as an adjective they would diagram it incorrectly.

Ask them to take "dad's" out. If you take "dad's" out of the sentence is the sentence still talking about the same people? Hopefully, they would quickly see that "my parents" and "my dad's parents" are not the same people. So "my" is giving more information about "dad's" not "parents." Since "dad's" is an adjective (as per AG and in the diagram) "my" must be an adverb because only an adverb can modify an adjective. An adjective cannot modify another adjective.

The diagram will have "my" on the dog-leg (is that what they call it?) coming off of "dad's" slanted line.

Thanks!

Jessica

Think of the diagram for "My dad's parents live..." Subject: parents. Verb: live. Dad's would answer "whose?", modifying parents; therefore dad's is an adjective. I don't see that my answers one of those adverb questions (how, when, where, how often, to what extent) about the adjective dad's, but it certainly modifies it; therefore my is an adverb. "An adverb is a word that describes a verb, an adjective, or another adverb." Right? :001_huh:

Think of the diagram for "My dad's parents live..." Subject: parents. Verb: live. Dad's would answer "whose?", modifying parents; therefore dad's is an adjective. I don't see that my answers one of those adverb questions (how, when, where, how often, to what extent) about the adjective dad's, but it certainly modifies it; therefore my is an adverb. "An adverb is a word that describes a verb, an adjective, or another adverb." Right? :001_huh:

:iagree:The questions really only come into play with verb modification, at least that's how I always thought of it.

My is an adverb because it describes another adjective (dad's & mom's). Dad's is an adjective; my is the adverb that goes with dad's. If it went with family, it would be an adjective.

Someone else will probably explain better...But I gave it a shot.

Paula

:iagree: