Menu

Help me create a complete curriculum set for K

tntgoodwin

Alright, so I am trying to come up with one to three suggestions for each subject. We would prefer something scripted, and academically challenging while being engaging and interesting, if possible. Also, cheaper is better!

Math - 1. Math Mammoth (light blue - first grade - based on the MM website and the samples, my daughter should be able to do this) 2. Singapore?

Phonics/Reading - Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading OR Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons; + Wordworld on Netflix + just reading books together (She has the BOB Books, and likes reading them)

Handwriting - A Reason for Handwriting

Science - Magic School Bus DVD's, maybe latter adding the books, and science/lit. kits

Bible - Big Truths for Little Kids + The Jesus Storybook Bible ( We are not paedo-baptists, but I think we would be able to skip that chapter in BTfLK)

History - ??

Also, any suggestions for subjects I may have neglected?

Anything you suggest I will look into!

Thanks so much!!!

Edited by tntgoodwin
added and amended constantly

For history and science, I just recommend getting books from the library on different topics and read them to her. From their you could do different projects pertaining to the topic, as you feel the need or desire to do so.

Why are you differentiating between reading and phonics? Phonics is self explanatory, but what do you mean by reading?

For Bible, you can just read different Bible stories, and have different projects to go with it.

Kindergarten doesn't have to be stressful at all:)

Here's a good site.

For history and science, I just recommend getting books from the library on different topics and read them to her. From their you could do different projects pertaining to the topic, as you feel the need or desire to do so.

Why are you differentiating between reading and phonics? Phonics is self explanatory, but what do you mean by reading?

For Bible, you can just read different Bible stories, and have different projects to go with it.

Kindergarten doesn't have to be stressful at all:)

Here's a good site.

Not sure on the differentiating between the two subjects, I just often have seen it broken up lol. We would prefer something scripted rather than just getting books from the library, etc.

Unless your child has already done a K level math and is ready for first grade math, I wouldn't do MM for K. It is very much first grade math. It also involves a lot of writing. I would recommend Singapore Essential Math K (about $15 total for the year), then in first grade (or when she's ready for first grade math), you could move into MM. I love MM, but it isn't like the Mennonite programs where first grade starts with learning numbers. MM assumes the child has had K level instruction (even if done informally). It jumps right into addition, missing addends, etc.

Reading/Phonics... Sounds like you're talking about OPGTR.

History/Science... Library.

Bible... I like Egermeier's Story Bible. We are just reading straight through it and discussing each story.

You didn't mention handwriting... Are you planning to wing it? That's fine if you are. If you want a workbook, HWT, GDI, ZB, ARFH, Pentime.. Those are all good choices. There are others I'm missing there. :)

I'm doing K again this next year. I want to add read lots of lovely books to your child. So many out there to choose from! These are some of my favorite memories with the children who have finished K and moved on.

Definitely history and science can be relaxing this year.

~Laurie

We're finished up K this year with my younger child. So I'll list what we've used and been successful with.

Math: Singapore Essential Math A & B

Reading: OPG

Phonics: ETC

Handwriting: HWT

History: She followed along in SOTW with an older sibling and I added books for her and age appropriate activities.

Science: Same as history

Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons is scripted and easy to use. You don't need additional reading books at first. You can include handwriting by just printing some free plain pages.

Math U See isn't scripted as such, but has a DVD to show you how to present the lesson and a teachers manual.

This is what I have used and they are both easy to implement.

For your other subjects, Five in a Row might be a good choice. Again, not scripted, but easy to use if you don't stress over producing written work and just enjoy it as it is written. If you read more about it, that will make sense.:001_smile:

Unless your child has already done a K level math and is ready for first grade math, I wouldn't do MM for K. It is very much first grade math. It also involves a lot of writing. I would recommend Singapore Essential Math K (about $15 total for the year), then in first grade (or when she's ready for first grade math), you could move into MM. I love MM, but it isn't like the Mennonite programs where first grade starts with learning numbers. MM assumes the child has had K level instruction (even if done informally). It jumps right into addition, missing addends, etc.

Reading/Phonics... Sounds like you're talking about OPGTR.

History/Science... Library.

Bible... I like Egermeier's Story Bible. We are just reading straight through it and discussing each story.

You didn't mention handwriting... Are you planning to wing it? That's fine if you are. If you want a workbook, HWT, GDI, ZB, ARFH, Pentime.. Those are all good choices. There are others I'm missing there. :)

She can count and recognize every number to 100, and add up to 5 + 5 (using her fingers)... Looking at the MM site, the K math would accomplish the following:

To count by rote at least to 20, but preferably a little beyond.

The concepts of equality, more, and less

To count backwards from 10 to 0.

To recognize numbers

To be able to write numbers

To recognize basic shapes

to understand up, down, under, near, on the side, etc. (basic directions)

To have a very basic idea of addition and subtraction

It also helps to expose the student to two-digit numbers.

She can already do all of that, so I figured the 1st Grade would be the way to go, after looking at the samples.

Not sure on the differentiating between the two subjects, I just often have seen it broken up lol. We would prefer something scripted rather than just getting books from the library, etc.

For K, phonics and reading are the same thing, because typically a K'er is not reading yet, and thus uses phonics instruction to learn to read. :) Once a child is reading, some people do use a "reading program" which tests comprehension and maybe teaches some literary elements and such. I personally think that's unnecessary at such a young age, so I don't use a "reading program". I just give my child good books at or just a teeny bit above his current reading level, and have him read aloud to me. Then I let him read some himself. Now and then, we discuss what he's read, so I know he comprehended. Easy peasy. No workbooks necessary. :)

If you want to know what "readers" to get your child once she is reading, I suggest looking at the Sonlight readers lists. They are excellent. You don't have to buy anything. Just see what books they recommend, and go check those out of the library (get to know your library's hold system... you can run in and get a bunch of books without having to go looking for them... great when you have little ones running around!).

For history/science, you say you don't want to use the library. That's fine. I would probably just nix history. Do you live with your child and talk to her daily about the holidays that are coming up? If so, you're already doing K level "social studies". Have you talked about your neighborhood and what a fireman is? Again, K level "social studies". My son went to private school K. That's pretty much the extent of what they learned. They did not learn "history". This even continued into first grade. So don't worry about history for a K'er, especially if you're feeling unsure about what you're doing (given that you're only wanted scripted, I'm assuming that there is some nervousness involved, which is normal and to be expected ;)). The important things are the 3Rs. Anything else you do is gravy, especially given that you'll have a newborn and a toddler. Really, don't worry about the extras that first year unless you have extra time and want to do them.

If you really want to use a science program, Elemental Science has a program called Intro to Science, and it is a good intro and is easy to do. It basically involves an experiment and a nature walk each week. It's not "scripted", but it tells you what to read and what to do, so it's easy enough. It'd be a good science program for a K'er. But again, if you are living with your child and talking with her, talking about the world around her, you are probably covering K level science already. In school, my son learned that some animals hybernate and they did the water cycle... I can't remember what else they did. It was all pretty simple though. Your child won't be missing anything if she doesn't do a formal science program in K. You have several years to get science in, and reading library books (randomly picked!) on science topics will likely teach her more than any curriculum would at that age. Even if you have a dinky, small town library, it probably has kids' science books (I know mine does! I was surprised at how much they did have... it's just mostly older stuff, but that's fine).

She can count and recognize every number to 100, and add up to 5 + 5 (using her fingers)... Looking at the MM site, the K math would accomplish the following:

She can already do all of that, so I figured the 1st Grade would be the way to go, after looking at the samples.

Ok, you could give it a try. Have you tried the samples with her? How is her writing?

I'll probably be using MM1 when my son is "supposed to be K", so I'm not against using it. I just wanted to make sure you knew it really was first grade math. :) Try the samples, and if she does well with it, go ahead! It's a great program. We've done 1A/1B/2A so far (about to finish 2A in a couple weeks). And if you get in on the next co-op (if you didn't get in on the last one), you can probably get years 1-6 for about $65, which is an awesome deal. :D

Alright, so I am trying to come up with one to three suggestions for each subject. We would prefer something scripted, and academically challenging while being engaging and interesting, if possible. Also, cheaper is better!

Math - 1. Math Mammoth (light blue - first grade)? 2. Singapore?

Reading-??????

Phonics - I don't remember the name, but there are 10 minute lessons I think, and if you do one a day it lasts two years, and supposedly gets to a fourth grade reading level by the end? (EDIT: I think its Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons)

Handwriting - ??

History - ????

Science - ???

Bible - Big Truths for Little Kids?

Thanks so much!!!

Math - I agree with Bosco, *I* don't know any K'ers that could have done MM1. I am doing RightStart A with my DS, it is great, I love it. It is not cheap but it's completely reusable for other children. I haven't used Singapore but I'm sure it's great.

Phonics - I used a little of everything with my DD :glare:, so after all that "experimenting", with DS I'm using Webster's Speller, following ElizabethB's lessons that she is doing with her DS :thumbup1:.

Reading - Listen to SWB's MP3 lecture on literary analysis, just read a bunch of good books. The books that are used in WWE1 would be a really great place to start.

I have to go, I'll be back later to finish my thoughts.

Math - MEP is free

Phonics - Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading and Explode the Code workbooks

Science - someone posted a thread the other day with a food chain/biome study you could use free/cheap by using resources from the library

http://welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266949

Bible: Here is link of how someone studied the Bible in a classical layout.

http://welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265767

History/Geography - I like studying geography in K and then starting SOTW or something similar in 1st grade.

Here is a geo curriculum that looks fun.

http://confessionsofahomeschooler.blogspot.com/2011/04/expedition-earth-world-geography.html

If you look at http://www.letteroftheweek.com she has a science and country of the week that is free (not completed yet) for K which is fun.

Here is a link with lots of free curriculum choices you could use to fill in spots.

http://welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109114

For handwriting, we use and love handwriting without tears.

To weigh in on the math situation, I will share our experience. We started this year (K for dd) with Saxon 1, completed it at the beginning of April and started Math Mammoth. I looked through MM 1A and 1B to see where to start, and while I won't do ALL of it, there is quite a bit that was way more challenging than what we did in Saxon 1. Now at the end of K dd is very much ready for it, but we will not rush into MM 2 as it is much more challenging and I would not want to frustrate her (and she did excellent with Saxon 1) just saying there was quite a leap from Saxon 1 to MM 2. I believe Saxon 1 was very doable for K, but I don't think we would have successfully started the year with MM. Maybe doing 1A at a slow pace with LOTS of manipulatives and games might have been possible though. . .

Just something to think about, your dc might be perfectly fine! :)

For history this year, we used Heroes for Young Readers. It was light and fun and we used it as a jumping point. It is missionary biographies, and has activity guide with fun crafts and character projects. We were able to study more about the country, people, and historical events as much as we wanted. Or simply just read it and do the activities. We have loved it.

enjoy your K year, I am so sad to know ours is almost over. We have had so much fun though! :)

100EL is very scripted and 100 lessons gets you to a pretty solid early reader (200 word+ paragraphed stories; mid-2nd grade level they say). I also got Funnix when it was free (it's $25 now; goes to mid 3rd-grade level) done by the same people but on the computer. I found it was nice to switch back and forth when DD needed a shift or review.

I like MM and my K'r has no problems with the MM1 content, but it is pretty dry visually. K-2 sometimes needs more eye candy to feel something is "fun". WOrd to the wise: K should be FUN. It's mainly about learning to learn and the habits of school imo. We use MM1 and a colorful workbook (Sadlier-Oxford, tho DK workbooks might be enough). If dc starts to be resistant, consider more glitz. You really can't wallow in math too much at this age -- my first completed 2nd grade math by the end of K and was well into multiplication, but wouldn't have hurt to spend more time wallowing. We spent a year and a half doing 4th grade math (she's 2nd grade) to give more time to wallow and play with the math.

If you cover math and phonics, everything else is gravy. Often K history is SS or geography (continents, etc). Science is explore the world stuff (consider BFSU for a solid intro K-2). LA is listening to stories and discussing them -- important developmentally. You can work the other topics into that (read and discuss books of science topics, etc).

Never lose focus on your goals and what motivated dc. At this age it's usually either pleasing you or having special time with you. Enjoy that and use that to help confer a love of learning. That above all will help you down the road when topics require more "just suck it up". :lol:

About MM: I did start my DD in MM1 when she was in K but I didn't start that until April of her K year and she had been 6 for almost 6 months at that point and completed another K math program. It worked fine but we only did about 1/2-1 page/day so 1A took us about 10 months to complete. So, if you decide to go with MM1, plan on it taking longer than the K year (1B has been much faster, we will finish it in less than 3 months total).

Handwriting - I used Peterson Directed Handwriting this year with DD and it worked wonderfully to re-mediate some very bad habits that she had. We are now transitioning to Getty Dubay. HWOT was a bust for us, we hated it.

History - I used K12 with DD, they have nice geography program for K. We mostly just ended up using it as an outline and using library books to learn about each continent.

Science - ???

Math - 1. Math Mammoth (light blue - first grade - based on the MM website and the samples, my daughter should be able to do this) 2. Singapore?

Phonics/Reading - Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons; + Wordworld on Netflix + just reading books together (She has the BOB Books, and likes reading them)

Handwriting - ??

History - ????

Science - Magic School Bus DVD's, books, and kit

Bible - Big Truths for Little Kids + The Jesus Storybook Bible ( We are not paedo-baptists, but I think we would be able to skip that chapter in BTfLK)

Thanks so much!!!

For K, we use Saxon 1 math, Phonics Pathways, and A Reason for Handwriting K.

Instead of history for K, I would do a Beginning Geography course. I like Evan Moor's Beginning Geography book, but I would add some additional countries/cultures to it.

My youngest had fun with Be Amazing Blast of Color this year, and now we're doing the Mind Blowing Science kit.

Five in a Row was a favorite here. You do have to do a little planning, but it was so fun. You read the same story book for five days, and then each day pick an activity from a list to complete. You can generally pick from math, art, cooking, science, etc. Geography is also included as you map where the stories take place (we studied the white cliff's of Dover while reading "The Glorious Flight"). Sometimes the guidebook might even mention a literary device used in the story :D. There is also a Bible suplement to go along with it. I wouldn't worry about science or history yet.....just READ, READ, READ :).

For reading we used 100 Easy lessons, and for math we did Saxon 1. I think I used a Reason for Handwriting as well.

Blessings,

Michelle

Another vote for FIAR here. My oldest doesn't even realize we are "doing school."

For phonics we are doing Funnix because it was a free download in January. Otherwise we would have completed 100EL and then moved on to either OPGTR or lots of readers or whatever.

I'm waiting a bit on math till it's actually fall....but I'm debating between MEP, RS A and Singapore Essentials. MEP is free, so you might consider that...

Another vote for FIAR here. My oldest doesn't even realize we are "doing school."

LOL, my dd is SOO excited to start school...I don't know if that would work for her.

We have been doing some Horizons preschool worksheets, along with other workbooks like those put out by School Zone publishing company. Even her little sister loves to "do school" with her.

LOL, my dd is SOO excited to start school...I don't know if that would work for her.

We have been doing some Horizons preschool worksheets, along with other workbooks like those put out by School Zone publishing company. Even her little sister loves to "do school" with her.

Haha. My daughter was the same way. Her "school" to her is reading lessons (which can get a moan every once in a while...typically if I pull her away from TV) and her Zaner-Bloser workbook.

I'm sure she'll associate math with school when we get there too.

• 2 months later...