Menu

Help me name my puppy!

We brought home our 3.5 month-old black, long-haired German Shepherd puppy on Sunday. He will be huge when he's full grown. He has a laid-back, sweet personality, rather reserved, and piercing light brown eyes. He has a strong, commanding presence -- not mean or anything like that, but strong. (His sister from the same litter has been with us since early March.) On the way home, we went through names: Moses, Kodiak, Orion, Polaris, etc. When we played with him at home, he only responded to the name Kodiak, so that's what we called him. (I'm from AK, so that was a great name, as far as I'm concerned.)

Problem? I can't remember his name!! I call him Klondike, or just go brain-dead.:001_huh: Kodiak just doesn't fit him. He's bonded to me, and I've got to call him something. (Sine Nomine? :tongue_smilie:) Two of my girls call him Elmo as a joke; the name means protector, which I like, but he seems too serious to always be called by a red furry muppet name. :) Dh calls him Doofus. :lol:

Any suggestions? (His sister's name is Shadow, and it took us a long time to come up with that one.)

Hmmm.....first ideas:

Phantom would go well with Shadow.

Grizz or Teddy would follow the bear theme of your first name for him.

I actually think Elmo is pretty cute :001_smile:. Doesn't have the gravitas that Shadow does, though.

Would he respond to Kaiser/Kaizer?

You could then remember it by teaching him "Kaizer roll over!" (Kaiser roll. :D)

It seems funny to me, but I'm a little sleep deprived. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: Why not just call him Klondike? I like that. Seems a little northern for a GSD (more appropriate for a Husky or American Eskimo), but it's masculine and not too goofy.

Edited by darlasowders

Or, sticking with the Saint theme:

*Bartholomew -- "Here is a man in whom there is no deception." Also Black Bart :001_smile:

*Bruno

*Edward -- Saint Edward the Confessor was one of the most popular English kings, because he trusted in God and greatly loved his people. Maybe it's because of the Corgi in The Accidental Tourist, but I think this name would fit a mellow shepherd very well.

*Samson -- keeps an "S" theme with the dogs

*Wolfgang (I had no idea there was a Saint Wolfgang until a few minutes ago!)

Edited by Kebo

We ended up naming our puppies Yukon and Kobuk after the two great rivers that are always flooding (just like the puppies!).

Currently they are responding to Yukon and Nitwit because one of them is just a bit clueless......

Kodiak is very nice! We would end up calling him Kody....

How about Sirius or Padfoot. Sirius was Orion's dog, hence called the dog star, also if you like Harry Potter, Sirius black is an Animagus (? sp) or whatever you call it...anyway, he can change back and forth into a dog. Padfoot was his nickname because of this. Just a thought.