Menu

Is it legal to homeschool other kids in IL?

I wouldn't be quick to assume that it is okay.

http://www.isbe.state.il.us/HomeSchool/

assumes it's the parents

But that site is the State Board of Ed spin on things, not the actual statute. By case precedent, we are private schools in IL. There is nothing in the law to prevent us from "privately educating" children other than our own.

But that site is the State Board of Ed spin on things, not the actual statute. By case precedent, we are private schools in IL. There is nothing in the law to prevent us from "privately educating" children other than our own.

Okay. I was just advocating being sure. I wasn't saying it wasn't allowed.

It's not legal in Missouri:

1. A home school is defined as a school that:

a. “Has as its primary purpose the provision of private or religious-based instructionâ€;

b. “Enrolls pupils between the ages of seven and sixteen years, of which no more than four are unrelated†(no limit on number of related students); and

c. “Does not charge or receive tuition, fees or other remuneration.†Mo. Ann. Stat. § 167.031.2(1)(a)-©.

I have heard of people who get around this rule by charging for "babysitting" and just happen to homeschool the kids while they are in their care.

I have a friend who tried very hard to get a cottage school going in the Chicago area. The difficulty for her was that the only people who were interested in her homeschooling-for-pay option were people whose children were delinquent or who were having behavioral difficulties. My friend did homeschool one additional child to her own, and it was very, very hard. Her "extra" kid had been pulled from school because of negative social choices, and she had a terrible attitude and was extremely disruptive to my friend's homeschool.

Another friend of mine homeschooled an "extra" child for a couple years. She experienced the same difficulties. In her situation, her extra child was pulled from an inner-city school because her personal safety was at risk. The child started homeschool with my friend with a wonderful attitude. She was sooooo grateful for the peace and safety of my friend's home. Unfortunately, this child was not used to working very hard at anything, and over time developed a terrible attitude about her schoolwork despite my friend's many kindnesses to her. The child also came from a difficult inner-city neighborhood and a dysfunctional family--all the love my friend had to shower on this girl was not enough to help her withstand the considerable social pressures of her home and neighborhood environment. She ended up dropping out and eventually having a child out or wedlock.

My point: The first friend I referenced above had rosy visions of a cozy little cottage school. However, each and every one of the parents who showed interest in her cottage school were people who were desperate for someone out there to "fix" their wayward child. In the case of both of my friends referenced above, the "extra" child proved to be terribly disruptive to schooling well. I know there are some people on this board who have successfully homeschooled other children, but I would urge you to consider this carefully. The experience of my two friends has shown me that the difficulties are great.