Menu

Anyone have a tried-and-true gluten-free cake recipe?

From the box of Swan's potato starch...this is great. I've made if for dh a few times now.

6 eggs

1 1/2 cups of sifted sugar

1 1/2 tsp grated lemon rinds

3 tbs lemon juice

1 1/4 cups Swan Potato Starch Flour

1/4 cup boiling water

Instructions:

1. Separate eggs, place egg yolks in mixer, (biggest bowl) beat until light, beat in sugar gradually.

2. Add the lemon rind and lemon juice to boiling water, add to mixture and mix until thoroughly blended.

3. Fold in Swan Potato Starch Flour.

4. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks are formed, fold gently into mixture.

5. Place in ungreased 10in bunt pan, bake at 300 degrees for 30 mins, increase heat to 350 degrees and bake 35-40 mins longer.

6. Invert pan and allow to cool.

p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } LEMON CAKE

3 very small unwaxed lemons (lime sized- if larger adjust accordingly)

6 eggs

250g sugar

300g ground almonds

1 heaped tsp baking powder (some have wheat in, so check packet)

*1. Put the lemons in a pan and cover with cold water, bring to the boil, cover and cook for two hours. Keep checking the water and add more when necessary.

2. Drain and cool, then remove pips and put the rest into the blender.

3. Set oven to 190C/ 375F. Spray a loaf tin, line roughly with paper so it’ll be easier to get out, then spray the paper.

4. Add the eggs, sugar, almonds and baking powder to the fruit pulp and blend until combined.

5. Pour into the tin and bake for about 1 hour in the centre of the oven. After the first 40 mins, cover it with foil to prevent over-browning. Test with a skewer to see if it’s cooked. If the skewer comes out clean, remove cake from the oven and leave to cool in the tin before turning it out onto a rack.

Oh thank you! I knew I could count on the hive!

Lisa, if you'd be willing to post all three I'd really appreciate it. It would be nice to offer options and let Mom pick. :)

Or maybe we'll make more than one. This year Mom's birthday is not only on Easter Sunday, but there's a baby blessing at church the same day for a new granddaughter (my brother's sweet baby girl) who is being given Mom's name as a middle name (it's a kind of unusual family name). A sizeable chunk of the family will be in town, with a big party over at my brother's church for the baby. Fun times that might be in need of several cakes. :)

Not cake but I just read on yahoo that the Cherrybrook Farms brownie mix (found in target for sure) makes the best tasting brownies(cake like consistency). My son can't have eggs or nuts so I am going to try them for him!

Yes, those brownies are awesome! Very fudgey and yummy. My dh doesn't whine about them like most gluten-free treats I make, so you know they're good!

Oh thank you! I knew I could count on the hive!

Lisa, if you'd be willing to post all three I'd really appreciate it. It would be nice to offer options and let Mom pick. :)

Or maybe we'll make more than one. This year Mom's birthday is not only on Easter Sunday, but there's a baby blessing at church the same day for a new granddaughter (my brother's sweet baby girl) who is being given Mom's name as a middle name (it's a kind of unusual family name). A sizeable chunk of the family will be in town, with a big party over at my brother's church for the baby. Fun times that might be in need of several cakes. :)

Here you go!

If you want to try both garbanzo bean recipes below, cook 4-5 cups of dried beans (using the instructions in the chocolate cake recipe) the day you want to make the chocolate cake. That way, the beans are hot and will melt the chocolate chips w/o having to worry with a double boiler to melt the chocolate. Refrigerate or freeze the additional beans so that you can make the pound cake (or hummus! ;-) later.

If you're pressed for time, you can use canned garbanzos, or you can cook the beans and thaw them for the chocolate cake, but you'll have to warm the chocolate in a double boiler to melt it. Be aware that canned beans often have preservatives and/or a strong aftertaste, so be careful to select the chemically "cleanest" beans possible if you used canned beans.

The cake will hold up fine on the counter for 3-4 days if covered. If you need to make cakes ahead of time or want them to last longer than 3-4 days, refrigerate or freeze them. (The cupcakes freeze very well!) Be sure to let it come to room temp to serve, b/c when this kind of gf cake is cold, it's very dense -- though the flavor will still be good. :)

GFCF Chocolate Cake

10 oz. bag GF chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life brand b/c we're also dairy-free.)

1-1.25 cups dry garbanzo beans (yields about 1 2/3 c cooked garbanzo beans)

4 large eggs (about 3/4c liquid)

3/4 cup sugar

3/4 teaspoon baking powder

Directions:

Rinse garbanzo beans and remove stems, etc. Place 4-6 cups of water per cup of dry beans in a large sauce pan. Add rinsed beans and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to low, cover the pan, and simmer 2-3 hours until cooked, adding water during cooking if necessary. (Cooked beans are soft, easy to cut, and are dark yellow throughout. If there is a hard lighter-colored center area, cook them until it disappears and the center is the same color as the rest of the bean.) Remove from heat.

Preheat oven to 350F (325F convection).

Drain the beans, and return 1 2/3 cups of them to the sauce pan on a cool burner. Add the chocolate chips to hot beans, and stir until melted.

Add the eggs to the beans and melted chocolate. Puree the eggs, chocolate and beans with an immersion blender or pour the contents of the pan into a food processor. Process/puree until very smooth. Mix in the sugar, vanilla and the baking powder.

Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 full or pour the batter into a greased 9" cake pan. Bake in the preheated oven 18-20 minutes for cupcakes or 35-45 minutes for cake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.

Garbanzo Bean Cream Cheese Lemon Pound Cake

1 2/3 cups cooked garbanzo beans

8 oz. "Follow Your Heart" vegan cream cheese alternative (or regular cream cheese, if not avoiding dairy)

1/2 cup light coconut milk (or regular milk or sour cream)

3/4 cup sugar

3/4 tsp baking powder

1 tablespoon vanilla

1/8 cup lemon juice or 5-7 drops "LorAnn lemon oil" drops

4 eggs

Puree garbanzo beans until very smooth (few if any small bits). In a separate container, puree the cream cheese alternative and coconut milk. Add to garbanzo beans, then add remaining ingredients. Mix well.

Pour batter into a greased loaf pan, 8 or 9" cake pan, or double the recipe and use a well-greased bundt pan and bake at 350F (325F convection) for 35-50 minutes (depending on size of pan and depth of batter). Cake is done when a knife or toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

GFCF Gingerbread

2 TBS fresh ginger, grated

1 TBS sugar (mix ginger and sugar together and set aside)

1/2 cup sorghum flour

1/2 cup sweet rice flour

1/2 cup potato starch flour

1/2 cup teff flour

3/4 tsp baking SODA

3/4 tsp salt

2 tsp ground ginger

3/4 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp cracked black pepper

12 TBS (1.5 sticks) Earth Balance Buttery Spread, softened

3/4 cup brown sugar, packed

3 large eggs

1/2 cup molasses

1/2 hemp milk

3 ounces (about 1/3 package) Follow Your Heart Vegan Cream Cheese

Mix all dry ingredients. Add fresh ginger/sugar, wet ingredients and blend well. Pour into cupcake pan with cupcake liners and bake at 325F Convection (350F conventional) for 15-18 minutes. Cool, then frost with Mock Cream Cheese Frosting.

Mock Cream Cheese Frosting (if avoiding both dairy and gluten)

Great on any of these cakes or on gluten-free sugar cookies! :)

1 container “Follow Your Heart†vegan cream cheese

2/3 tub Earth Balance buttery spread (or soy-free buttery spread)

1.5-2 pounds confectioner’s sugar

1-2 TBS vanilla (optional)

Allow Earth Balance spread to come to room temperature. Add non-dairy cream cheese, and blend together for 1-2 minutes. Add confectioner’s sugar in small batches, until the frosting is the consistency you like. Add vanilla if desired. Frosts a two layer cake or 2 batches of cupcakes. Refrigerate or freeze unused frosting.

Chocolate torte recipes are gluten free, and genoise is a type of layered cake with whipped cream and ganache. Neither are advertised as 'gluten-free' but the original recipes don't include flour.

Ruth Levy-Beranbaum has several similar recipes for these, and there are others out there.

I adapt these for my son. I'm probably making the chocolate cloud and rolling it with sweetened whipped cream.

Just in case you don't know - keep in mind that all ingredients used in the cake have to be gluten-free, not just the flour! Baking powder and vanilla (or other extracts) are two you have to be careful of.

Here's a thread on vanilla extract:

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/topic/27509-where-to-find-gluten-free-vanilla-extract/

Here's some info on baking powder:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/BakingPowder.htm

Thanks! I never thought about the baking powder.

:bigear:

great thread. I have a wheat allergy and eat gluten free. You may want to stick w/ a mix like pamela's so you don't have to worry about checking and buying every single ingredient GF. Pamela's you can get by just adding egg, water or milk, and oil. I posted on another thread a vanilla coconut cake w/ raspberry fruit I make from a Pamela mix. Not sure how to link to that though. :confused: The thread was on coconut oil. If you want it, let me know.

BTW. I got to taste test some "Better Batter" GF brownies at whole foods. They had added blueberry protein powder. Man they were awesome.

I know 3 really good vegetable based gluten free cake recipes Chocolate cake (really nice and soft), a white sponge type recipe and a fruit cake.

We don't have gluten allergies but these cakes are the best so I make them above all others.

You have to grate the veg right before you use it other wise it becomes all soggy and sometimes my eggs don't whisk up properly but it doesn't make much difference to the final result.

Chocolate cake

3 medium eggs

160g caster sugar

200g peeled and finely grated butternut (or similar) squash

120g white rice flour

3tbsp cocoa powder

80g ground almonds

1tsp baking powder

1tsp bicarbonate of soda

1/4 tsp salt

125ml buttermilk

two 18cm/7" round sandwich cake tins lined with parchment

preheat oven to gas mark 4/350F/180C

whisk eggs and sugar in mixing bowl for 4 full minutes until pale and fluffy.

Beat in grated squash, flour, cocoa powder, ground almonds, baking powder, bicarb and salt. Add the butter milk beat again and check its all well mixed.

Split mixture evenly between two cake tins and bake for 30 minutes.

Finish with chocolate frosting.

Fruit cake

150g sultanas

120g glace cherries

100g whole blanched almonds

3 med free range eggs

150g light muscovado sugar

250g peeled and finely grated butternut squash

zest of 1 orange

zest of 1/2 unwaxed lemon

150g white rice flour

100g ground almonds

2tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

23cm/9inch cake tin

Preheat oven to 160C/325F/Gas mark 3 & Line tin

Whisk eggs and sugar for 4 minutes until they are full of air.

Add squash, orange and lemon zest and whisk to combine.

Add flour, ground almonds, baking powder and salt.

Fold in fruits and whole almonds with a metal spoon.

Pour into cake tin and bake for an hour.

Victoria sponge type cake

4 medium eggs

200g caster sugar

400g topped, tailed and peeled finely grated courgette

220g white rice flour

140g ground almonds

3tsp baking powder

1/4tsp salt

zest of 3 unwaxed lemons

3 x 7" /18cm smndwich cake tins lined with parchment

Preheat oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4

Whisk together eggs and sugar for 5 minutes until pale and full of air.

Add courgette and whisk until combined.

Add flour, ground almonds, baking powder, salt and lemon zest. Beat until well mixed.

Split between the 3 cake tins and bake for 30mins

When cool fill layers with jam and cream or jam and butter icing, could have cream/butter icing on top with fruit or sprinkles.

I've tried sharing a recipe twice now, but I get a message that my post needs to be approved by a moderator-- maybe because it's a link and I'm so new?

Anyway, google "elana's pantry black and white cake" and you'll get a link to the most amazing gluten free chocolate cake ever! We often make it as cupcakes as well. I can eat gluten, but I'll choose that cake over any other hands down!

I've tried sharing a recipe twice now, but I get a message that my post needs to be approved by a moderator-- maybe because it's a link and I'm so new?

Anyway, google "elana's pantry black and white cake" and you'll get a link to the most amazing gluten free chocolate cake ever! We often make it as cupcakes as well. I can eat gluten, but I'll choose that cake over any other hands down!

Here you go: GF Black/White cake