Menu

Can we talk about CLE and others?

~FireFly~

Anyone here use this for reading, language arts or math? If so how does it compare with Life Pacs, Easy Grammar, or any other curriculum.

What I'm asking is if anyone can tell me their experience w/Christian Light Education/Publications I'd be truly grateful.

I'm pretty sure we'll use Intermediate MUS this year (I have the teacher's manual and all the manipulatives) so I don't see why not. And then we'll go on to the Advance level (still have all support items).

I do thank everyone for posting in their own threads about what they're using b/c not knowing it you gals/guys are helping others who are just reading for info. and not posting responses or questions.

Sometimes I can log-on to ask a question and read someone else's post and responses and my question's answered; so, I thank you all.

Let me know your thoughts on grammar (we'll prob. use Easy Gram.) Language Arts (?) and math (MUS? intermediate)

Thanks,

Stephanie

We use CLE for math, LA and reading. I did omit one or two stories in the 3rd grade reader as they didn't line up with our beliefs but overall I love their stuff and more importantly it fits my kids and they don't complain. I feel like they've made leaps in understanding. People say their math is advanced but my very average 4th grader has no problems keeping up. My more academic 1st grader does her math for " fun" independently so she can go at her pace without me needing to be right there. Ooops this became a commercial.:D

We use CLE for all those subjects. It's very thorough and my children can work indepently. It's open and go and always gets done. I can count on getting the kids started on CLE each day even if I'm in the middle of something with my youngest. So I consider it to be a huge success.

Easy Grammar takes a different approach to grammar than CLE does. I considered EG (even bought a book!). But I really wanted my children to know how to diagram and EG doesn't really do that.

I can't compare it to LPs, I never used them. I've seen them and wasn't nearly as impressed as when I started considering CLE.

Did you look at the samples on their website? They have one for each LU.

We use CLE Math but no other subjects. We are in our 4th year with CLE Math though, and we absolutely love it. We went through what seemed to be a lot of curriculum and trial & error before finding CLE. They have samples at their website. You can also order a few LU's to get a feel for the program. You can find used items at the yahoo group as well.

Susan

While I LOVE CLE Learn to Read, I am not too fond of CLE Reading 100 & 200. There is way too many schwa sound things to work through and they are confusing. I do love CLE Reading 300 and up though.

We LOVE CLE math and I plan to use it all the way through 8th grade. If they have the sunrise edition of Algebra out by the time I need it we will also be using that.

I love CLE Language Arts for my daughter, but I am having my son use Growing with Grammar.

I am really pleased with all three: CLE math, language arts, and reading. They're super easy for the teacher, while still being very effective and challenging for the student. I love that the math includes daily review of previously covered concepts. My dd is the type to catch on quickly, but to forget just as quickly. (don't know where she gets that from! ;) ). So this constant reviewing has really been good for her. The LA has grammar, spelling, and vocabulary all in one package, and she has really learned a lot from it. We discovered the she actually LIKES to diagram sentences. :D She is also what I would term a reluctant reader, but she haw come to enjoy the reading program because the stories are sweet and engaging.

We just started it this year, so the 500 level (400 in reading) is all that I have experience with.

My ds uses CLE math. We love it. I like the spiral approach. I also like the fact that we do daily speed drills and flashcards to improve memory and speed. We used Lifepacs for J. I was not a fan. I think CLE is far more thorough. We have also used CLE LA and enjoyed it (although we used a separate spelling program). We have switched over to FLL to get out of a workbook rut, but I still use CLE as a supplement. Retried their reading program, but disliked it. The kids thought the stories were boring (and, honestly, so did I!),

We have used the LTR, then LA, Math, and Reading for my son. We have stayed with the Math and the LA for now (we use some PLL lessons also). I find all of the workbooks to have tons of review, which works well for my son.

We were disappointed when we finished LTR (Learn to Read) and began the reading. My son did not make the transition well and he faltered. I am interested to hear someone say they liked it later on. For us, it seemed like they were demanding a lot more reading and longer length than they had in the last reader and he was overwhelmed.

I have seen the older CLE LA workbooks and they have a lot of diagramming and look as rigorous to me as R&S.

Edited by Hebrews3:13
punctuation

I LOVE CLE math & LA. I wish I had found out about it sooner, as I would used it from the beginning. I'll probably keep my kids in it until we finish all the Sunrise editions. But we DO use Sequential Spelling instead of the Spelling portion of LA.

For comparison, for earlier math we've used MUS (totally wrong fit for us), Prof B., Horizons, Aleks.

For LA we used to use Shurley. Also a very good curriculum, but much more teacher intensive.

We have gotten good results with MUS. However, my dc compete to the point that it was making it miserable for everyone. So, dd is finishing up Gamma right now, and ds just switched to CLE Math 2. He had not memorized his addition and subtraction math facts (just kept counting in his head) in Beta, so we "re-doing" Grade 2 math using the CLE spiral system. The daily review of +/- facts with only selected flashcards is really doing its job! He's actually starting to memorize his facts! Also, the "competion" has ended in Math. Their programs are so different that they can't tell who is "ahead" or "behind" anymore. :-)