Menu

For those who are more eclectic...

jlcejb6

We also read through the Sonlight Readers and do notebooking from them. I also have the two older kids read from McGuffey Eclectic Readers and they look up vocab in the dictionary, write down new words in their notebooks....sometimes they copy a couple of poetry lines from the Readers into their notebooks.

They also do independent reading on their own and at the library.

In second grade, dd was reading well, so we just...let her read. We did SOTW, and covered summarizing by using oral and written narrations, and critical reading stuff the same way. When we did a read aloud, I'd usuallly start each time with "So, let's see, what was happening when we left off?" Not exactly a quiz, but more like a conversation. Sometimes just an "I wonder what will happen next?" kind of comment to start the ball rolling...

Very organic.

I helped her find quality books at the library--sometimes they were historical fiction, sometimes not. Same with read alouds--We did stay away from realistic fiction that had "troubled families," for the most part, because it hit too close to home.

Honestly, I just let my kids read! We go to the library and they choose any books they want in K/1st. In second grade I do start assigning some books, but we don't really do anything with them. By 3rd grade all "school" books are assigned, not really chosen by the kids. I just want my children to learn to love reading. They will usually tell me the parts of the book they liked the best on their own. If not, it's okay with me. Most of my kids are pencil phobic and even crayon phobic so I don't require recording at all in grammar stage. We narrate through WWE, history and science so I think they are getting enough of that in the other areas.

Now, my oldest is entering Logic stage. I will start to do oral responding to his reading this year, gradually working toward deeper as well as written literary analysis throughout the next 4 years. I see great benefit (especially with boys) waiting in this area. My older two kids love to read and never complain about their assigned books in school.

Early on we do phonics, but once my kids are reading fluently we read "real" books. My youngest is only 5 and working through Funnix right now. It works for him, but besides Phonics Pathways it's the first "reading curriculum" I've used. I thought I'd try it and he ended up really liking it... so we're sticking with it until he decides he's had enough. I'm not married to it so I could drop it today if he wanted to... I much prefer teaching him through "real" books.

To plan our reading program, I perused every childrens' reading list I could find at my dd's reading level, then picked what I thought were the best of the best for us. Next, I gathered tons of free online resources to go with each book and away we went. We enjoyed lapbooking, writing, notebooking, worksheets, art projects and a variety other activities to enhance our reading experiences. Hope you find what's just right for you!

Just... books? Normal books they get from the library?

Yes, just normal books. I usually don't make it to the library. It's usually easier for me to have something at home to just pull off the shelf.

Edited by jlcejb6

Honestly, I just let my kids read! We go to the library and they choose any books they want in K/1st.

QUOTE]

:iagree:

I so far, have never required a specific book or title to be read. As long as my book worm, reading loving kids are reading, I don't do anything that may squelch that by forcing titles upon them. Mine both came from public school though three years ago and my DS11(now)was always failing in comprehension, not because he didn't comprehend, but because he was being made to read books/stories that didn't interest him. Stick LOTR, Ranger's Apprentice, Star Wars, Bone, or his faves in his mitts and he can tell you the whole story back to front and minute details you didn't even realize were there.

DD8 loves Judy Moody, Franny K. Stein, Katie Kazoo, Animal Ark books, Arthur, and believe it or not-really old grade school readers from the 30's through the 60's like Up the Street and Down, Fun in Story, Down the River Road, and Fun With Nick and Dick. She also loves old classics like Old Mother Westwind by Thornton Burgess and the Rabbitville series by Emma Serl.

Hope this helps.

We do good chapter books. I pick from various sources: SL, VP, HOD, WWE, etc. I don't do any literary analysis yet, and we haven't even been narrating, but we narrate every day in other subjects. Right now, I'm just trying to get him comfortable with chapter books and build up his reading stamina. I think it's working... He read 7 chapters of SOTW1 today. :tongue_smilie:

When we are still doing active phonics instruction we do A Beka's first grade readers for lots of practice, then it's onward and upward with real books! I really love SL's reading sequence to develop fluency! We also have some easy reading chapter books we've picked up here and there to supplement our SL readers with.

Another family with no reading program. We do free reading every day. One of my sons is still working on phonics so I work with him some and read aloud with him. I'm planning to read more by alternating pages with my son who's reading chapter books as well - some slightly more literary stuff than his current slate of Droon and Stink books, maybe Roald Dahl or Dick King-Smith or something appropriate but on the slightly tougher end for him. I know he misses the back and forth of reading together.

When my kids finished OPGTR, we just started reading books. When they were born, I started building a children's library. My husband laughed at me when I'd come home with Good Night Moon and Little House on the Prairie, or Olivia and Swiss Family Robinson, but if I found good copies on sale I'd buy them. I steer them by making suggestions from our home shelves or the library, but I pretty much just let them pick books to read and create opportunities and incentives for them to read (if they make it in bed by 7:30, they can keep the lights on and read until 8). For my DS7 who reads independently, I periodically ask him what is going on his book and use it for WWE exercises, so I can check his comprehension. My DD5 reads aloud to me every day, and I have her narrate/summarize whenever we stop. For their evening reading, they can choose from the piece of literature they're reading for school or library books, but I don't have them narrate to me unless they want to talk about it the next day. We also decide together on our family read alouds, which I do at lunch. This seems to be working for us and they enjoy their independent reading times as well as our read aloud time.

In second grade, dd was reading well, so we just...let her read.

Yep. It sounds simplistic, but that's what we did, too.

Once the kids were reading independently and well, they just read. I assigned some books for school, but they also both read widely for fun.

Both of mine are good, eager readers. Once they were off and running, the best thing I could do was get out of the way!

I pick from various sources: SL, VP, HOD, WWE, etc.

:iagree: I have him pick a book, then I pick a book. (His book has to be ok'd by Mom so that it is at his reading level or slightly below...but not way below.) When I pick a book, sometimes it is history related, or science, or a biography or just good lit.

I haven't read the thread because my eyes are killing me.

For second grade next year we will be using mostly SL readers (the ones that used to be 2 adv.). We will cut out a few of the scheduled readers and add in the other two Ralph S. Mouse books and a biography of Beverly Cleary.

At times I sit down and compile lists, either for a school year or for summer reading, and I look through the WWE books, Ambleside, SL, and the list of Newbery winners.