Menu

RightStart C - why didn't you switch?

EmilyGF

I've seen a lot of people talk about switching after RS C. I don't know what we'll do. We're on lesson 90 and I go back and forth between the idea of switching and keeping going.

DS loves games, gets math pretty fast, and loves the non-arithmetic things, like symmetry, origami, and building with the cubes. We do a few pages of Miquon math each day to have problems from a different perspective, but I limit him to things he already understands since I think the RS presentation and methods are so much better.

We'll definitely finish B. We'll probably do math all summer. I'm considering doing Singapore with RS games or just going on in RS. Little sister is starting math now, too, so time is scarcer, but not too pressed.

Thanks, Emily

If your ds is enjoying it and there isn't a problem, then don't switch just because some other people do. We didn't switch until Level E. My reasoning was that there just wasn't enough review for long division and the other concepts. Until then I had no problems. Actually, I really liked Level D. I thought that was the best level. :001_smile:

We LOVE level B. Around 100 or so of C is when they do long subtraction with borrowing (though they don't call it that) and that's when we had trouble with it. They do things differently and it's confusing. I would muddled through and kept with it, but we moved, and things were crazy on several different levels, so we had to make a change this year. We actually tried Singapore for the first half of the year, but it really isn't like RS at all. RS actually teaches the info and lets it sink in; we didn't get that with SM. If you are loving RS, I would totally stick with it, it's a great program!!! We still use the games. :)

When I do C with my daughter, I'm simply going to move things around. We will jump right into subtraction, then area, money and time. Then we will move to multiplication.

I didn't like C at first because it was too slow compared to B. But I think the addition review was just too much at first because my son knew addition very well and didn't need the review.

I actually like level C now that we're finishing it up. I may supplement level D next year with MM but I'd like to keep using RS since it is working so well.

My plan is to finish up Level C next month and then move on into D. I have found RS to be very effective and painless for our family. The lessons are moving faster in Level C, and requires less of my time. I still schedule math for 30 minutes/day, but there is usually a small worksheet component so I can leave dd to finish the lesson by herself. I thought about switching after C, but RS is just working so well for us.

I liked the different subtraction method presented in Level C. I loved the lessons we just did where the process of calculating an area was used to teach multiplication. I see Siloam's posts teasing me with good things coming in Level D. So, we are staying.

I am supplementing with CWP word problems. Dd is finishing CWP 2 while finishing RS C.

We didn't switch because it works so very well for my dd. Also, I've never had any problems with any of the levels. I just never saw the issues others have.

As for RS's subtraction method, I actually have found it to be so effective that I now use it myself. It just makes more sense than the standard method I learned. YMMV

I like level D much better than C. I planned to switch after C b/c my son and I hated all the drawing. We didn't b/c when I looked at level D, I realized it was more like level B in that it didn't have all that drawing (I'm still not sure I what the pointof it all is besides the fraction problems). My younger son loves the little bit of the drawing he's had in B, so I don't think C will be so bad for him. Now, I'm trying to decide if we will continue with level E or switch b/c we never get to the games so I don't feel like we are getting the review we need from the games (which is why we added in MM).

I like level D much better than C. I planned to switch after C b/c my son and I hated all the drawing. We didn't b/c when I looked at level D, I realized it was more like level B in that it didn't have all that drawing (I'm still not sure I what the pointof it all is besides the fraction problems). My younger son loves the little bit of the drawing he's had in B, so I don't think C will be so bad for him. Now, I'm trying to decide if we will continue with level E or switch b/c we never get to the games so I don't feel like we are getting the review we need from the games (which is why we added in MM).

My son loves the drawing! That's one of his favorite parts of C.

We just finished RSM Level B. I considered switching but decided to stick with RSM. Because DD is 6.5 I'm going to review/supplement with Singapore Math 1B. (There's things she can do but I'm not sure she really gets). I thought I only needed the Textbook and Workbook but ended up buying the HIG. It's not worth the effort without going through the whole lesson plan with the HIG. I also got Math Mammoth to supplement with worksheets in weaker areas. After this, we'll be starting RSM Level C when she's closer to 7 and 2nd grade. I think RS still lays a better foundation than the others. The other methods help solidify it and make sure they can apply it in different contexts.

We aren't very far into C, because things have been crazy here. I plan on keeping RS as the spine and reviewing with Singapore (and maybe Miquon and MEP as well.) My son loves math and loves workbooks. He will go through a Singapore workbook in no time. I don't have experience teaching Singapore, but I love it as a review for RS.

I was pretty much in the same position as the OP, although more to the end of RS level B. So, I ordered up Singapore, and since looking at it, have decided I will continue with RS C and supplement with Singapore or Math Mammoth. It seems to me after looking through Singapore 1B and 2A that RS has given him much stronger mental math skills than Singapore would have. I love that he can do math mentally so quickly, sometimes faster than his dear old ma ;) I will use Singapore during the summer, and for review, and will use SIngapore's Challanging Word Problems for extra math fun :)

I really had planned on giving RS the boot based on other's reviews, but he's just done so well on it thus far that I can't do it until it until it actually quits working for us!

We've used RS A, B, and my little man has completed 102 lessons in C thus far this year. FWIW, I had him complete all of the drawing lessons in C... which I believe were worth the time and effort in MOH. I also had him do the Level C practice sheets (1-2 daily), which he just recently completed. I was pondering whether or not I'd have him cycle through them again, when it just so happened that the Math Mammoth Light Blue series arrived in the mail today (which I'd recently purchased through Homeschool Buyers Co-op). Yay! I've decided that I'll have him begin MM 2A for review work (2 pages per day, 4 days per week) instead of cycling through the RS C practice sheets again.

I had Singapore PM that we'd used (in the past, but not any time recently) and planned to continue to use as a supplement (over the summer or as needed)... that is, until I was introduced to Math Mammoth. After comparing and contemplating the two for a while, hubby and I prayed and decided that we preferred MM over SM as our supplement. I ended up selling most of my SM materials, with the exceptions of the IPs & CWPs. I believe MM is going to be a better fit for our supplemental/review needs throughout the school year. I'll use the IPs and CWPs over the summer, once we've completed RS and MM levels for the school year.

All that said and in short, we're very happy with RS and I don't foresee us changing our spine any time soon. However, I'll admit that this supplemental plan helps alleviate any doubts raised from reading about others who've left RS.

HTH!

:001_smile: Melissa