Menu

High Schools divided into Academies?

I went to a presentation last night regarding our local high school hoping to create an academy approach to schooling. They're proposing a break of our one school into seven specialized "campuses" (ex. Arts & Communication, Business, Human Services, Industrial & Engineering...). Students would then choose what area they would like to be in for their four years and would take classes in that area. The presenters said this would make smaller classes, allow students more opportunities, and engage the kids in something they find personally interesting. Students would still take all the regular core classes, but the extra classes would be based more on their area of interest.

It's an interesting concept, but I'd like to know how it's working in schools that already use this model. They referenced a school in Indianapolis and one somewhere in California. Does anyone have a high school like this in their area? If so, what is it like? I'm curious if mixing the technical school and college bound students together works well. I've heard of individual magnet schools, but this "all in one" approach is a new concept to me, especially for a high school. I'm curious about how effective it will be.

Any thoughts?

I know there's a statistic out there about how many times the average collage student changes their major. I don't remember the number, but I think it was over three. A year. Why do they think younger high schoolers will have a better idea of what they "want to be when they grow up?" I can see this focusing a few individuals, but I can't see it working for the whole school.

I had that same "changing their mind" question. Their response was that the basic skills (their 4Cs - collaboration, communication, critical thinking, and creativity) will still be learned across the academies. So, no matter which area you choose you will still get a firm base for future learning even if you change areas of interest. They did say that kids could change areas in the school, probably once a year, if it wasn't working out in the one they picked originally.

I guess I'm also wondering how well rounded they will be when they graduate. Or, is that not important today's society and workforce? Will they be so focused on one area of study that they won't be exposed to something outside that area that might spark a whole new interest? Will they be critical thinkers that can pull in viewpoints and information outside of their area of expertise? Hmmm...sorry, just thinking aloud.

You might want to do some reading/research on schools in Denmark. Their approach is similar to this, specializing earlier than we do here in the US. I find it remarkable what they accomplish in public education in Denmark. However, I don't know if I would be brave enough to throw my kids into it (lots of freedom/travel at young-ish ages).

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely look into the Denmark schools. I know there are several European countries that have kids take certain tracks fairly early in their education, but I always thought they were more of a vocational vs. university bound separation. I guess I'll have to read more about it.

My husband works for Johns Hopkins Univ. in the department that developed a model like this. PM me and I can have my dh talk to you about it, if you want. He is actually writing the curriculum for the 9th grade academy (freshman seminar) program for JHU (Talen Development High Schools). He goes into schools to train the teachers and staff how to implement this program so it can be successful. It is a GOOD model if it is done correctly and followed but many schools do not follow the model 100% and wonder why it's not working. They "tweak" it here and there and make it their "own" which doesn't sound like it would be a bad idea (after all we as homeschoolers do that all the time, right? :D) but these schools pay JHU thousands of $ to use this program and their expertise. If the model is followed, it works. I'm not the expert, obviously, but my dh could tell you a lot more. PM me.

ETA: He also TAUGHT at a high school like this for 8 years. :)

Edited by Sue G in PA

It is also becoming increasingly common in Middle Schools in our area. One local Middle School has a Science Academy, a Math Academy, a Civics Academy, and a Performing Arts school.

We are years out from experiencing these first-hand but these in-school academies seem to be proving popular with both parents and students.

Bill

Sue, thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it if I start to have a lot more questions. Wow, never thought I'd be able to find a direct source here. As I always knew, this is a wonderful site.

Bill, good to hear that this model is being well received. The speakers mentioned something about the middle schools here, but at this point it's being proposed only for 9th-12th.

Thanks so much for your input.

I believe at least one of our high schools implemented this a year or so ago. I haven't heard anything about it one way or another, sorry. I know that one of the schools I'm thinking of also created a freshman academy to keep the younger kids out of the general population until they get more acclimated to the huge school....

Our high school does this. I've had one graduate thru there and 2 others that attend now. They can change academies by meeting with their counselor - DD17 tells me they can do this any time but the counselors strongly push for these changes to happen at the quarter or semester breaks because they would be changing teachers. Some of the academies require more time commitment outside of school than others (the JROTC academy comes to mind) and some have have requirements for placement.

The advantage of the academies here is that the teachers team up and work together - coordinating assignments across classes and such. They also do block scheduling for certain classes and have all the core classrooms located physically together (less running across school between classes).

It seems to be working just fine here. Especially the Freshman Academy which has a different bell schedule and lunch from the general population and more assistance at the beginning transitioning kids from the jr. high.

It is also becoming increasingly common in Middle Schools in our area. One local Middle School has a Science Academy, a Math Academy, a Civics Academy, and a Performing Arts school.

Wow, what if you're not into any of those things? What is there for students whose strengths and interests lie more in languages, literature, writing, history, and art?

I can see both sides to the "pick your course" sort of thing. On the one hand, sure, most college students do change their majors, but otoh, maybe trying something in high school would give them more of a sense of what they did and didn't want to do in college. And there's a lot less at stake if you decide a career path isn't right for you when you're in high school vs. wasting money/possibly failing classes when you're in college.

It's an interesting concept, but I'd like to know how it's working in schools that already use this model. They referenced a school in Indianapolis and one somewhere in California. Does anyone have a high school like this in their area? If so, what is it like? I'm curious if mixing the technical school and college bound students together works well. I've heard of individual magnet schools, but this "all in one" approach is a new concept to me, especially for a high school. I'm curious about how effective it will be.

My high school (in California, but I kind of doubt it's the same one) had a sort of similar program. It started when I went there - about 15 years ago, and is still going strong, so the program is well-established. They don't have multiple different trade-oriented tracks, just the standard school (which has a heavy college-bound academic focus) and a creative and performing arts academy.

(If this is the school you heard about, I'd be happy to discuss it more in depth or put you in touch with graduates of the program.)

I think the program is pretty great. The students still had the opportunity to take normal classes for college-bound students (including AP classes) - they simply did more on top of that. At the time I was there, most of the students in the arts school did most or all of their academic schooling through an in-school independent study program (which normal students also participated in). I'm not sure they still handle it this way, or if it went defunct when the originating teachers left. Their webpage claims an independent study program exists, but I don't know if it's the same thing, as the site doesn't have any info beyond stating the program exists.

I think the amount of dedication and self-direction required by the program made it beneficial regardless of a student's eventual educational and career goals. I don't know how many graduates actually ended up going seriously into the arts - I know of some that have, some that haven't. But there wasn't any serious issue between the "normal" students and the arts academy kids, at least that I've ever heard.

We have a highschool like that here. I'm not in that age group yet, but I'm friends with a family who's kids are there and they love it. I think it sounds like a great idea. It gives kids opportunities to explore their interests earlier than college and with less consequences. One of the girls I know at the highschool is interested in event planning so she's taking business classes along with her core. Before that, she did fashion design and quickly realized it wasn't for her. That way she's not wasting a semester at college and all the money it costs just to find out she doesn't like that major. But I also don't get the whole waiting until you're at least 25 to "find yourself" either. It wasn't that long ago that teens were treated more like adults and expected to prepare for adulthood.

Wow, what if you're not into any of those things? What is there for students whose strengths and interests lie more in languages, literature, writing, history, and art?

There are different academies with-in different schools. And some schools do offer things such as a writing emphasis or history. Students compete to get into these academies.

There is also a "general course" offering option in the schools that have specialized academies with-in the schools. Not all the students are part of the in-school academies, I believe the academies represent a minority of the individual school population.

Bill

IMHO it is old school tracking with different clothes. Pigeonholing kids that early bothers me.

I don't think it is "tracking", but anytime you offer differentiated education I suppose one is open to the charge. For what I'm seeing (at some remove) it is making school choices in Middle and High School much more interesting in my area, and I think it is being seen as a positive almost universally.

Bill