Menu

Art and Music

I have paid as much for art lessons as piano when my kids were taking Monart classes. In the end though, I can't afford to do both all the time and music is something that seems more progressive and requires consistency. I can pick up art classes here and there as we have the time and resources, but I don't think doing that with my daughter's piano lessons would work.

Also, art is something that I can do at home. I've used a couple of levels of the Atelier program, the Draw Write Now books, Mark Kistler's Draw Squad and I am going to be using one of Barry Stebbings programs soon.

My daughter is currently taking an art course that is just wonderful. The classes are for 2 hours and are $10 each. I think that is an incredible bargain.

On the other hand, a friend just told me that the art teacher at her daughter's school will give private lessons for $40/hour at home and that just about made me choke. There's no way I could afford that and what would my child be getting for that price?

My only other thought is that I often don't really see my kids progress much in an art class, so that gets discouraging. It seems more like a recreational activity than music. If there were a drawing class nearby where my kids would make substantial improvement in their skills over the course of a semester, I'd be a lot more likely to pay for that regularly. I know technique can be developed, but it seems to require much more than what most classes offer.

Lisa

I have been willing to pay more for music. I guess I have always just seen art as a talent that one is born with (at least some natural ability), while music can be learned through practice. Typing that out, I know it probably sounds ridiculous. But, I think I'd be willing to shell out more money if my kids showed some natural artistic abilities.

I will pay well for either, really, but I cannot afford both at the same time! My eldest likes art, but he loves music, so that is what we pay for on a monthly basis. He still enjoy art camps during the summer (when band is on hiatus).

If I had a child who truly loved art then that is what I would pay for. I don't expect to pay less for art.

Art is usually a group lesson, so the rate is less than for a private music lesson.

I think this is a key point---how much of that time for which I am paying is actually directed toward my child. In a private lesson, it's 100%. In a group setting, it can't be because there will be times that the instructor needs to direct attention to other children. So, I would expect a group music class to be comparably priced to a group art class, and a private art class to private music instruction, and either to be comparable to instruction in a sport (with the same private/group dynamics).

Personally, we pay for art (her passion) and sports (aikido, swim team last year, maybe tennis lessons this year for fitness), but not for music as my daughter is not very interested in playing an instrument. Now all of this is for instruction in technique, rather than appreciation. I would be unlikely to pay for either art or music appreciation only (or at least not much), as I can do those things at home.

Edited by KarenNC

I would be willing to pay (in my hypothetical world where I can afford it:tongue_smilie:) just as much for a dynamic drawing/painting teacher as I would for a dynamic music teacher.

Then there is the real world where I realize I need to make lemonade out of life's lemons and do that best I can with what I have. I can pass on music. I can (ahem) *encourage* the drawing.:tongue_smilie:

A lot of my interest in giving my kids a music education is that it has more life-long repercussions in our society. Go to a wedding? You dance, and you can't dance if you have no rhythm/music sense. Off to college? Kids either spend their time on the dancefloor or standing at the bar - I want my kids dancing! Art tends to be more solitary, whereas music is a way to connect with others.

I'm not. BUT, if you're telling me it's an art class, it had better NOT be a crafts class. They are two totally different things.

I signed my boys up for an art class taught by local university students. It ended up being a crafts class. Seriously? I can do that at home.

PS -- I actually plan to hire a private art teacher in a year or so.

If it's a real art class, I will pay. I would expect equivalent experiences on the resumes of the teachers. Most of my ds's music teachers have had degrees in music and performance credits. Likewise, the art teacher we had for a while (she closed her studio and classes :( ) had a degree in art, experience in a variety of teaching settings and had done commissioned work.