Menu

Need ideas regarding a tub of legos

My dd loves lego kits. We have a large tub full of small lego pieces, though, and while I do buy her kits sometimes, I'd like for her to just dig into the tub and make something, maybe using some printed directions or suggestions. But I can't find any. Do you know of any?

What are some ideas I can give her so we can make use of them. There are probably 1000 pieces or more in the container.

LEGO sets all have two features - one is the set instructions, the other imaginative building possibilities. The first is to show children (and adults) how to build with the bricks, what is possible...the latter is the child (or adult's) imagination taking that base knowledge and expanding the possibilities from their own imagination and experience. To expand on this, LEGO recently started selling sets that provide a 3-in-1 set of instructions, one can build three different things with one set - and much more once the basic knowledge of how to bring the bricks together is formed in the mind.

No, I don't work for LEGO, but do use LEGO bricks in my programs - both set building (specific instruction) and imaginative building (use your knowledge to create). For example, one program I did was building a small cityscape....we used a couple of the LEGO sets for buildings and vehicles, but the rest of the landscape was to be designed and built from imagination - we wound up with a playground, roads, a lake area, and a variety of buildings the kids thought should be along the city roads.

Encourage your DD to build from imagination - at the end of the day, that is the goal of LEGO!

For us, it was helpful to buy a couple large base plates to use along with the pieces from our kits, as a start... it is hard to make houses/large things without them... :-)

You can take pics of creations as well, that seems to help, my kiddos get more motivated, and that way all the hard work they put into them isn't just gone.

We also needed a place just for lego, with room to build & keep projects out for more than an hour or so. I finally bought 2 sturdy cardtables and set up a lego zone. SUCH an improvement over a tub that was put away each afternoon. Ours is in the bsmnt schoolroom, so the 2 year old can't "help" the creations to death...

Sit down and start building something. Within 5 min. someone will be in there stealing all the pieces that you need to finish what you started. :) At least that is how it works here.

My 9yo came up with a game where everyone gets an even number of blocks and we take turns coming up with a category like animals or building. Then we build something from that category using our pile and then share our creations. It was fun.